Photo

Life with Smartphones

Today, 08:33 PM

Posted by raymac46 in Mobility
We have had the same wireless phone provider for 26 years (Rogers - originally Cantel.) In that time we have had a total of 4 wireless phones:
  • 1992-2000 Motorola bag phone - the size of a toaster and only worked if plugged it in to the car's cigarette lighter.
  • 2000-2008 Nokia candy bar phone. Mobility at last. You could actually make a phone call outside the car.
  • 2008-2017 Nokia flip phone. Rogers ditched its analog network and went digital so we had to upgrade.
  • 20017- Samsung Galaxy A5 Smartphone . Welcome to the 21st century I guess.
Now if it were up to me we'd still have the bag phone. But my wife wants to text and you can't really do that on a numeric keypad. So last weekend we set out to the Rogers store and did an upgrade. Results have been decidedly mixed.
  • The Good We got a reasonably priced plan with a new phone, Unlimited phone and text and some data.
  • The Bad The amount of wireless data we got was laughably small (500MB) but I didn't care because who wants to surf the Net on a 5 inch screen with some stupid Android app?
  • The Ugly The phone connected seamlessly to my wireless LAN - then ignored it while it did a system upgrade and 30 app updates using my mobile data. This chewed through twice my allowance for the month in one day. Rogers sent me a message saying I'd have to pay an additional $50 in overage charges. After my threatening a couple of supervisors Rogers agreed to drop the excess charge but I was still over the limit. The store put a data limit restriction on the phone to shut down mobile data until the new billing cycle next month. To get my data set back to zero I would have to call Rogers and threaten to cancel everything I have with them. I don't want to do that.
Bottom Line - the messaging has been great. My mother-in-law was injured in a fall and she's in hospital now. My wife has been messaging and phoning her sister and brother and my daughter. The data - pah. I hate Smartphones. I will never have my own in a million years.

16 Views · 6 Replies ( Last reply by raymac46 )

Photo

Microsoft gets sloppy with Surface

Today, 05:29 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

Microsoft has egg on its face. So long as a software company makes simple hardware, such as keyboards and mice, it does OK, but when it comes to laptops and smartphones, it’s one fiasco after another.

The latest? Consumer Reports removed its “Recommended” mark from, not one, but all Microsoft Surface computers. How bad is it? According to Consumer Reports, best known as the consumer-products review publication that never takes advertising, its National Research Center estimates “that 25 percent of Microsoft laptops and tablets will present their owners with problems by the end of the second year of ownership.”

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

8 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

New Windows 10 Pro edition reveals Microsoft's inconsistency

Today, 05:27 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

Microsoft last week added another edition to its Windows 10 portfolio, introducing a variant of Windows 10 Pro aimed at high-end desktops, often tagged as workstations.

"Windows 10 Pro [for Workstations is] designed to meet the needs of our advanced users deploying their workstation PCs in demanding and mission-critical scenarios," Klaus Diaconu, a manager in Microsoft's Windows and devices group, wrote in a post to a company blog.

One analyst said the new Windows 10 would attract some customers, but called it "a very niche product." And he wondered why Microsoft is adding another SKU (stock-keeping unit) to the line when it's harped on the need to drive customers off Windows 7, even Windows 8.1, so that everyone is on 10.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

5 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

1 members, 47 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, Yahoo, raymac46

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS