1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Recent Posts

• abarbarian
    • abarbarian
    • Cluttermagnet
      Thanks! Great compilation. It is comforting to read Eric's work and appreciate how he was a great communicator. I had to laugh at the 4th link- the photo of the mangled computer on the floor. How many folks do you know who blogged about destroying their desktop tower? (I know that feeling, though...)   Clutter  
    • abarbarian
      This is what started me on this adventure. Did not realize it was a on-line game or how  many hoops I would have to jump through to make it work. Trouble is I can not resist a freebie especially as I have paid for Prime.You just have to get your moneys worth don't you. 😋     Claim a free copy of Fallout 76 with Amazon Prime     Logged into Amazon got the game, easy peasy. Never read the blurb.   Fallout 76   Fired up Heroic and, what !! no game, but other Amazon games are there. Hmmmmmmmmm. Back to Amazon, read the blurb. Darn it I need to sign my life away to Microsoft. Over to here,   redeem-a-gift-card-or-code-to-your-microsoft-account   Which took me to here,   login.microsoftonline.com   Which finally got me here,   Redeem your code or gift card   Whew that was long trail. OK now back to Heroic, what no game !! Stuff this I'll try Lutris, what no game. Hmmmmm.   As I have some Amazon games and may get some more in the future. I thought I would use the Amazon Games App through Lutris. Thinking that my Fallout 76 was not a steam game I could not install and run it through steam (I was wrong in this assumption).   https://lutris.net/games/amazon-games-app/   Darn it !!! it works but only shows the same Amazon games as Heroic does, no good for me but it may be of use for other folk. What to do ? Lutris has a Fallout 76 install file but it is for steam. Stuff it I'll give it a go.   https://lutris.net/games/fallout-76/   Use the plain steam version, the top entry.     Whoopee !!! it works. Well it installs and you can start the game. Then it asks you to log in to the Bethesda site. Darn I have no Bethesda account.Drat another hoop to jump through. Over to Bethesda and make an account. Back to Lutris or Steam, both work to launch the game. An Bethesda refuses to log me in. Darn I am sure I gave the right details, manually and painfully, as Copy + Paste does not seem to work. Darn still no log in. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm   Seems you have to link your Bethesda account with Steam though the site,   https://bethesda.net   Then the game will work.     So far have only had a few hours in as am still getting used to it and it took a while to choose my character. So hard to decide whether to use lipstick or not, do I look too fat or too thin. 😵   When I say the game runs ok, it does, trouble is quitting. Yes I know you should never quit a game, but a fellow has to eat and rest. The ESC key will not do anything and there is once you start the game no way to get to the main menu. Luckily I run Window Maker so I just ALT + One Key and swap work spaces, fire up htop and kill the game.  I run my games in a separate work space as I have had similar problems before. It is much easier than CTRL + ALT + F2 to a new tty and killing the game from there.     I am running Arch + Window Maker fully updated with  a nvidia GTX 1070 proprietary drivers on a 2560x1440 165 Hz monitor, ASRock  B650E Taichi mobo, AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D cpu, nvme 1 TB SHPP41-1000GM, with steam on a internal nvme A-Data SX8200PNP. I have gamemode running through systemd. Steam uses Proton experimental. I have the game on full Ultra settings.   The games runs smoothly and graphics look very good.   Enjoy folks 😋   This is a good article to read for new players who prefer single palyer playing.   Can you play Fallout 76 single player? And should you?      
    • abarbarian
      It was an early form of DRM. Meant that if you travelled to the USA or Japan say from the UK then you would not buy the latest blockbuster movie on DVD which in those days were a lot cheaper in the USA as they would not play on your UK player. 😎
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Corrine
    • zlim
    • wa4chq
    • Pete!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

James_C_Rocks
    Newest Member
    James_C_Rocks