Alaric Adventures in Linux split from Windows Crossover

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet

OK, so computer politics aside, what I have gleaned from my reading of the links so far is that

if alaric76 is running a non-ARM computer (likely, I suspect), then there is a fancy special

boot sequence one goes through to get to the UEFI screen. If he can get to there, and

disable UEFI, he can then get into a live DVD session of Linux mint 17. If he can get that

far, repeatedly and reliably, I can then coach him on how to nuke his hard drive, repartition,

and install Linux.

Alaric made it pretty clear to me that he would be quite happy to dump Win8 permanently

from that machine. I have volunteered to do some telephone coaching and I hope he does

take me up on that- once he gets beyond this UEFI 'boogey man'.

I think LM 17 is a good choice for first timers. I think it would be counterproductive here to

debate which particular Linux distro alaric installs. Mint is a very good choice for newcomers,

and I think he should stick with his original intent. BTW at least a couple of parallel threads

going on here, as advice is also being directed to georgeg4, whose situation and experience

level are different. I also believe it would be counterproductive to steer alaric towards any

writeups geared towards dual booting Linux and Windows. He has clearly stated to me

that he wants to nuke Win8 and start fresh. I think that will keep things simplest for now,

and I support his doing it that way. I hope you all will too. (But above all, however he

figures out how he wants to go with this).

I still think we should break out a new thread for alaric and stay focused on trying to help

him. He's at the start of the learning curve and things can seem overwhelming at times.

I remember this well from my own Linux education starting 7 years ago.

Great that you did it that way, George- nuking Windows and putting Ubuntu on there.

I think that's a good way to go. Keeps things simple. Glad it worked out well for you.

So alaric, a good starting point would be to tell us what make and model of computer

you have there?

P.S. Alaric- do you have a second computer that will get online? At some points you

may find you have temporarily disabled your new Win8 box to the point it can't get you

on line. You might also have a working Linux installed, but where you are having problems

figuring out how to use things. (I've been there before). A second computer would be

some mighty powerful insurance. That way you can continue to get help online.

I consider this capability to be essential. In fact, pretty much mandatory, IMO.

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Hi Alaric, welcome! I won't have too much to say in this thread since I've never run Mint myself, but from everything I've read it seems it would be a great choice for you. I'll be reading about your progress with interest.

Edited by ebrke

thanks,

abarbarian. Is this the thread where I should look for solutions? I have a Toshiba laptop, about 2 years old with the Win8 'virus' installed on it. A lot of the posts got into a complicated Uefi gobbledygook, that I was hoping to avoid. For this machine (in another room) I am just looking to wipe it clean and start with Linux. There is no vital info on it that I don't have elsewhere, so the KISS method is all I need. I just don't want to reformat the disc until I get the go ahead here. I have a Ubuntu 10.0.4 (I think, but 10 something) and a Mate 15 disc, I sent for. Both are blocked by the Win8 virus, so this is where I'm at now. If you need more specs, I can get that later.

Thanking all of you in advance! :sorcerer:

Cluttermagnet

Easy2Boot sounds like a neato utility. Just the same, there is a learning curve involved and it is IMO an unnecessary side trip for alaric76. He is brand new to this site and has not acquired any Linux experience. The last thing he needs, IMO is any side shows that distract from what he is trying to do. Alaric- I'd suggest you view this thread by abarbarian as an interesting side show, but it is a pretty geeky operation to set this up, and it keeps you dependent on Windows. And remember, abarbarian did not write this thread with you in mind (at least I don't think so), it is more one of those wonderfully geeky things that people who know Linux can adapt to use as a teaching tool when working with newcomers who want to learn Linux.

I am just looking to wipe it clean and start with Linux

This has been your stated intention all along, for many months now, and I would urge you to not let yourself be distracted. This utility, Easy2Boot, is such a distraction. I think that if you are willing to learn how to make changes in your BIOS (if needed), and willing to learn the simple procedure to get yourself into the UEFI settings dialog to disable UEFI, then your original plan is a good one. I would stick to my guns, if I were you. It is a lot easier to nuke the old OS and install Linux than to attempt to set up 'dual booting' with Windows. You say you want to get rid of Win8.

I'm going to quote below two lengthy posts I left for you on the other website. If you want me to back off I will remove myself from your process and leave you alone, alaric. But IMO you are getting distracted here. I hope that I and the others on this site can help you to see that resetting UEFI (disabling it) is not all that difficult. Neither is working with your BIOS. You may have to do that too.

Regarding your two Linux distros, Ubuntu 10 is now 'obsolete' (no longer supported with security and other updates). I think Mint 15 is on the verge of going out of supported status. I recommend you get hold of Linux Mint 17 Mate, probably 64 bit for your hardware (but need to know Toshiba model number). If you would email or PM me with your address data, I would be very happy to burn you a DVD of LM 17 and mail it to you. No need to buy it.

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

From the other website, personal post to alaric76:

Well, it had a name all along, but I had forgotten it. Yep, UEFI. It's just a way for the more advanced Windows 8 to protect itself from hacking, but at the cost of hobbling the machine and preventing legitimate live DVD sessions from being run.

Alaric- one thing that almost everyone who ever works with the hardware has to learn is how to go into the BIOS and set things the way you need them. Have you ever done that? Your BIOS controls the boot order of your drives- for example it can be set to first look for a bootable floppy disk, then a bootable CD/DVD in that drive, then your hard drive with an installed, bootable OS on it. Some folks set up different orders. Today no new computers come with floppy drives. But your first bootable device might well be 'USB'- you can have an entire OS installed to one of those pocket 'thumb drives' (Flash memory). So you might set it for 1. USB, 2. DVD, 3. HDD (hard disk drive). So anyway, do you know how to go into the BIOS and make changes, in case you end up needing to? If not, I can tell you how. It's not at all hard once you have been through it a couple times. Seems intimidating, turns out to be pretty easy. The BIOS windows look VERY similar from brand to brand of Computer.

Now, UEFI can be looked at as being similar to entering the BIOS to make necessary changes. All you do is hold down certain key(s) on your keyboard as you power up the computer (boot), and it sends you into a special space where you can change the UEFI settings. It's really no big deal, and quite easy after you've been through it a couple of times. So I do think you are over- worrying this. I know you can do this- and remember, I have offered some free telephone coaching sessions (by appointment, afternoons or evenings). I can talk you though any and all of these settings so long as you can give me accurate descriptions of what you are seeing on your screen.

It all starts when you tell me, and the group at the forums, the make and model of your new computer. Knowing that, we can tell you whether or not it is one of those stupid 'ARM' type setups. Probably it is not. If it is ARM, hang it up, you will be prevented from ever getting a live session to run on that platform. Might as well give an ARM- based hardware platform away, sell it, smash it with a ten pound sledge hammer- or maybe just surrender and run Win8 on it- heh!

BTW it is already becoming clear that your new hardware is 64 bit architecture. So hopefully you got a copy of Linux Mint 17 Mate *64 bit*, right? Although you could get 32 bit OS's to run on the hardware, why? It would be such a waste. But it would install and run. The converse is impossible, i.e. trying to get a 64 bit OS to install on a 32 bit machine. The software will detect that and refuse to do that install.

Anyway, tell us the make and model of your new computer. You told me a while back, but I forgot that info. Given that info, any of us can look it up and see detailed specs for it and know what you are dealing with.

I know you can do this stuff, alaric. It can seem intimidating, but it quickly gets easier. This is really a lot like how we all struggled learning how to really understand and run Windows 'back in the day'. I was definitely confused and intimidated by Linux at first, but just needed a few simple questions answered and I took off with it. You learn it faster because you already went through learning Windows back then. Therefore it is easier, because ultimately Linux is going to work very similar to how Windows works. All that differs is they have different names and a different organization of all the software pieces that add up to make an OS.

2nd Post from that thread:

"but the guy who said he formatted the disc and went to Ubuntu was interesting."

Yep, George did exactly what you are fixing to do- just wipe the drive and then install Linux on it. He chose Ubuntu. Pretty good choice for a newcomer. I used Ubuntu a lot, the first few years, but now Linux Mint, which is still broadly based on the Ubuntu software package, is a better choice for the newcomer. I've been doing the Linux thing for seven years now. But I still like Mint a lot, and lately I have installed somewhere around a half dozen+ copies of it when I have updated my machines.

Now, some of those guys on the forums are going to recommend setting up Linux to 'dual boot' with Windows which is already on your drive. But that immediately makes it a more complicated task for the newcomer. So if you are really willing to dump Win8 permanently (no turning back), it is a lot easier to get started. I would encourage you to avoid getting caught up in trying to set up 'dual boot' at first. Later, it will become easy. But leave it be for now. Important- see my note below about 2ND COMPUTER!!!

The only down side IMO is you end up at the bad end of the learning curve- for a short while. It can be pretty confusing to boot into a fresh install of Linux and then realize that all the things you know how to do in, say, WinXP, are not so obvious any more. You will get frustrated at times. You will have to ask a lot of questions. But you will learn how soon enough, because you already learned the first time on Windows. Now all you are doing is learning an alternative way of doing the VERY SAME THINGS.

Here is a key requirement for me, I can't emphasize this enough. You are really going to be up against it if all you have is the one computer you are working on. If you get hung up on something, how do you get back online to ask questions? Therefore I consider it ESSENTIAL that you have an additional working, internet- connected computer for when you get in trouble. You use your backup computer to get answers, and you WILL need to do this at times. So do you have a working second computer?

Cluttermagnet

Hi, All-

I'm opening this thread at LilBambi's suggestion. Alaric76 deserves his own

thread for his 'learning Linux' experience. Some of what has been posted

so far is contained in these threads on Scot's site:

http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=70849

Alaric76 makes his very first forum post in this thread, see #11.

http://forums.scotsn...683#entry392595

Alaric76 shows up at #15.

Welcome to the forums, Alaric! I hope you find your answers here.

I've been hanging out with this fun and crazy bunch of geeks since

2003, and it's been quite a great ride for me... Learned Linux here, I did...

Oh, one other thought- actually, distros like Linux Mint 17 make it very

easy to set up dual booting with Windows. Mint will do the whole thing for

you. It's one of the options that appears during the setup/install dialog.

It says something like 'install Linux Mint alongside Windows'...

So that's always an option, too. I assume gparted must crank for quite

a while while it moves and compacts Win8 enough to make room for the

Mint OS. Windows is usually installed hogging the entire drive, even if

it's a big drive like 500GB or whatever. They stick small parts of it up in

'himem' at the very end of the drive. Personally I have never allowed

Linux to set up that way. I figure it might take quite a long time to move

those parts of Windows, and that someone might think the install had

gone wrong just because it was taking too long. Instead, I prefer to

launch gparted from a live DVD session and take care of all the

partition changes first, then do the OS install. Also, I'd prefer to make

decisions as to what size partitions get set up, rather than let Mint decide

that. Also I like to set up a separate /home partition to save my data when

changing out OS's. I'm not sure Mint does that. So I always choose

'custom install', personally.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Hedon James

thanks,

abarbarian. Is this the thread where I should look for solutions? I have a Toshiba laptop, about 2 years old with the Win8 'virus' installed on it. A lot of the posts got into a complicated Uefi gobbledygook, that I was hoping to avoid. For this machine (in another room) I am just looking to wipe it clean and start with Linux. There is no vital info on it that I don't have elsewhere, so the KISS method is all I need. I just don't want to reformat the disc until I get the go ahead here. I have a Ubuntu 10.0.4 (I think, but 10 something) and a Mate 15 disc, I sent for. Both are blocked by the Win8 virus, so this is where I'm at now. If you need more specs, I can get that later.

Thanking all of you in advance! :sorcerer:

To reinforce Clutter's comments regarding Ubuntu 10.something and Mate 15, he is correct that both are either out-of-support or will be soon. I'm an Ubuntu user and can't speak as knowledgeably about Mint, but since Mint is based on Ubuntu, I think my Ubuntu comments will also apply to Mint. So here's my 0.02...

If you're wanting to install Ubuntu, you have to go with the most recent version of 12.04 (I think it's 12.04.4) LTS, or even the most recent 14.04 LTS. When version 12.04 LTS was released, it did not have UEFI support, but it was added shortly thereafter; so you need AT LEAST version 12.04 LTS, or anything after that. I would personally recommend LTS versions, which would be either 12.04 or 14.04. Conversely, any distro based on Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 (including Mint) would be a good choice. I think Mint 13(?) and 17(?) are based on 12.04 and 14.04, but I hope I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

I'm not completely sure what steps you have taken so far, and I still haven't seen the requested make/model/specs of your Toshiba, but if you choose one of the distros referenced above, this SHOULD be a relatively simple and pain-free process! With one of the UEFI-support distros mentioned above, all that SHOULD need done is to disable the "secure boot" option in UEFI; pop in a linux disc/usb and boot from it; "try" the linux distro until you're satisfied it works for you and your hardware; and finally, "install" the linux OS, choosing to overwrite the existing Win8 installation.

The key to the whole process is to disable "secure boot" in the UEFI. Once that is accomplished, you will be off to the races with tons of support from dozens of knowledgeable folks here at BATL! I'd say "good luck", but I'm so convinced of your likely success that I'd like to be the first here at BATL to say "congrats on the linux installation and welcome to the club"!!! :clap:

• Like 3

Hedon James

This was my response to an Alaric post on another thread (easyboot?). Afterwards, I saw this thread and knew THIS was the place for my response. Apologies to the OP of the other thread. Here is my response to Alaric, copied and pasted below:

To reinforce Clutter's comments regarding Ubuntu 10.something and Mate 15, he is correct that both are either out-of-support or will be soon. I'm an Ubuntu user and can't speak as knowledgeably about Mint, but since Mint is based on Ubuntu, I think my Ubuntu comments will also apply to Mint. So here's my 0.02...

If you're wanting to install Ubuntu, you have to go with the most recent version of 12.04 (I think it's 12.04.4) LTS, or even the most recent 14.04 LTS. When version 12.04 LTS was released, it did not have UEFI support, but it was added shortly thereafter; so you need AT LEAST version 12.04 LTS, or anything after that. I would personally recommend LTS versions, which would be either 12.04 or 14.04. Conversely, any distro based on Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 (including Mint) would be a good choice. I think Mint 13(?) and 17(?) are based on 12.04 and 14.04, but I hope I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

I'm not completely sure what steps you have taken so far, and I still haven't seen the requested make/model/specs of your Toshiba, but if you choose one of the distros referenced above, this SHOULD be a relatively simple and pain-free process! With one of the UEFI-support distros mentioned above, all that SHOULD need done is to disable the "secure boot" option in UEFI; pop in a linux disc/usb and boot from it; "try" the linux distro until you're satisfied it works for you and your hardware; and finally, "install" the linux OS, choosing to overwrite the existing Win8 installation.

The key to the whole process is to disable "secure boot" in the UEFI. Once that is accomplished, you will be off to the races with tons of support from dozens of knowledgeable folks here at BATL! I'd say "good luck", but I'm so convinced of your likely success that I'd like to be the first here at BATL to say "congrats on the linux installation and welcome to the club"!!! :clap:

• Like 1

Just need to clear up some misinformation. UEFI is a replacement for the old BIOS method of initiating the computer hardware. One does not "disable UEFI" but it is possible to use UEFI in "BIOS Compatibility Mode" which makes it behave similarly to a BIOS in that it can use the MBR (Master Boot Record) which is a small reserved section at the beginning of a drive. Standard UEFI mode requires a small separate FAT32 partition to contain the boot files.

UEFI is not "It's just a way for the more advanced Windows 8 to protect itself from hacking, but at the cost of hobbling the machine and preventing legitimate live DVD sessions from being run." This vaguely describes Secure Boot which is one feature of UEFI and can be disabled.

Could an admin please split this thread for alaric76? It has nothing to do with Easy2Boot.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Just need to clear up some misinformation. UEFI is a replacement for the old BIOS method of initiating the computer hardware. One does not "disable UEFI" but it is possible to use UEFI in "BIOS Compatibility Mode" which makes it behave similarly to a BIOS in that it can use the MBR (Master Boot Record) which is a small reserved section at the beginning of a drive. Standard UEFI mode requires a small separate FAT32 partition to contain the boot files.

UEFI is not "It's just a way for the more advanced Windows 8 to protect itself from hacking, but at the cost of hobbling the machine and preventing legitimate live DVD sessions from being run." This vaguely describes Secure Boot which is one feature of UEFI and can be disabled.

Could an admin please split this thread for alaric76? It has nothing to do with Easy2Boot.

Done! These posts for alaric76 have been merged with his topic here.

Also had to merge Clutter's later posting because this one had already been started with merge from the Crossover topic, and now merged into it are the Easy2Boot posts related to Alaric76 and Clutter's later posting was merged in as well.

Edited by LilBambi

I can't speak positively for Toshiba, but most manufacturer's websites will have a complete user's manual that can be downloaded if one wasn't included when hardware was shipped. That will give step by step instructions on how to enter the UEFI (BIOS) setup on your particular machine, since the exact key sequence will be different depending on hardware. The manual for the one laptop in my household running windows gives clear instructions on how to disable secure boot.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks for clearing this up. I have no direct experience with UEFI so far. Not hard to tell, is it? ;)

This is why I wanted to refer alaric76 to the group. UEFI is one area where I just couldn't help him.

Boy, this is sure a cobbled together thread, eh? Thanks for restoring order, Fran. :lol:

OK, "disable Secure Boot". Got it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Good link- thanks! I noticed right away the author's own link leading to the rodsbooks.com site:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html

If you page down one screen width, you get right to the meat of that article (for me). In a

paragraph titled "Disabling Secure Boot", he shows how simple it is to enable booting into a

live- DVD environment. The rationale is, of course, that if a machine is to be Linux only, this

amounts to a pretty safe and reasonable accomodation in order to get Linux running. Of course

it is a better idea to use keys and to leave Secure Boot enabled if the machine will be dual

booting WIndows.

Nice title, thanks! Clutter, I have this computer, a win 7 I am on now. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55-A5300. I can't call you, because I don't have your #, so post it on a pm or send me your email addy in a pm.I posted this in gasbuddy, too. The laptop is the Win8 machine. As of now, I don't know a BIOS, UEFI from a manhole cover, so I'll need guidance, there, especially on Win8. Will Win8 allow you to reformat? If the nuclear option is neccessary, no problem, as I have this 2nd computer to work with. I also have some extra memory and storage, I haven't yet installed, from Toshiba. Should I do that before or after nuking and Linuxing?

Cluttermagnet

Unless you are 'short' on RAM, maybe 'only' 1GB or less, it probably won't make much difference. To go from 1G to 2G might be worthwhile. On balance, I'd say just let that wait. 2G and up would work fine right now.

I'll send along my cell number in a PM later this morning on the other site. BTW if you are willing to be trusting, please PM me your address, and I'll get a Linux Mint 17 DVD off to you in the next day or two. Don't worry, I would never share that info with anyone else, ever.

Now I'm going to go off and research your model Toshiba and get an idea how this is going to play out...

As near as I can tell, it does not have the ARM type architecture. It runs an Intel Celeron 1.8GHz dual CPU and has

4G RAM, plenty enough. Ought to be able to run Linux...

Some of the guys in this forum will know better how to read and interpret the CPU specs I just saw, but I doubt it

is an ARM type.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Hedon James

I don't want to horn in too much on your assistance Clutter, as you seem to have things well in hand, but I can offer some insight into an Ubuntu installation, and I have some experience with an Ubuntu installation on a Toshiba Satellite C675D, which was a little tricky. Toshiba is fond of the Realtek 8188 wifi chipset, and it appears that Alarics machine has this hardware.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/C50/C55-A5300

This machine has an Intel Celeron CPU and Intel Integrated graphics, so Secure Boot should be easily(?) disabled in UEFI and his graphics shouldn't be a problem. But that wifi chip can be a real PITA, FWIW! Choosing the right distro and installation using "best practices" will go a long way towards a smooth installation and positive user-experience. In order to avoid a LOT of headaches, troubleshooting, and ultimately, compilation of your own drivers, Alarics preferred distro (Ubuntu, Mint, or something else...) should be using kernel 3.12 or newer, as suggested by this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2196909

Note the dates on the linked thread, as Ubuntu 14.04 was not yet available, so 13.10 was the recommended solution. Based on the 3.12 kernel solution, Ubuntu 14.04 should be the preferred distro (or something else derived from 14.04; does Mint 17 use the 3.12 kernel?). If 14.04 has unacceptable regressions, then 12.04 will also work, but you'll have to show Alaric how to manually select the 3.12 kernel or higher. If Alaric prefers Ubuntu, you should probably install "Synaptic" in order to choose the kernel you want, as Ubuntu doesn't include Synaptic by default.

Also, as a matter of "best practices" for laptop installations, I always recommend that wireless laptops be plugged into ethernet cable during the installation process, as well as a post-installation update. Once installation is complete, as well as a post-installation update of software, and subsequent reboot, the ethernet cable can then be removed forever and ever. IMO, this pre-emptive measure will solve 95% of wifi issues before they become issues. Other than the POTENTIAL wifi issues, this looks to be a very linux-friendly machine and users seem pleased with its performance running linux...good job Alaric!

In summary:

- disable Secure Boot in UEFI

- try liveDVD/USB of distro with 3.12 kernel or higher (Ubuntu 14.04 or equivalent distro)

- installation with ethernet connected; post-installation update of packages

- remove ethernet for wifi; should be good to go!

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Your input is most welcome! Yes, I think LM 17 runs a 3.12 kernel, but that may be after patching. A routine Mint 17 install these days is followed by a deluge of updating files, some 230+ as I recall, totalling somewhere around 275MB. They have the latest kernel in that long list, but it and about a half dozen kernel- related items are all unticked by default. For some reason they set it up so you install the latest kernel during a quick second round.

Again, going strictly by my shaky memory, I think LM17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. I'll look into all that and sort it out. I have seen LM 17 sometimes stall if you attempt a standard live session, but if that happens, one just arrows down and tells LM to boot in compatibility mode. It always seems to figure things out after that. A majority of machines I've run on don't need that special startup, however.

I'm going to advise alaric76 to set up his drive with a separate /home partition. That way he can install repetitively for the sake of practice, and at the same time, get a feeling for which desktop he prefers and which distro- and of course his slowly accumulating personal files are preserved all along the way to 'true enlightenment'. :teehee:

Oh, yes, re-reading your post I can sure agree about the wired Ethernet. Heck, I run everything wired at my location- there's no worry about wireless security and I like it that way. Seems doable, to install using wireless links, but also pretty dicey IMO. I'm with you- he can plug it into the back of his router.

I used to run Ubuntu all the time here, probably for about my first five years using Linux. At some point, Canonical moved on and I stayed behind with a lot of ten year old hardware on hand. It got way easier to get consistent results with Mint, and I found myself liking it more and more. Much appreciation for Ubuntu, however. I learned Linux on their platform. I still grab copies or various lightweight OS's based on Ubuntu and keep them handy...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

I have always set up my Debian via ethernet, gotten updates and then by then the wifi was usually supported after the updates.

So I give another vote for that!

In an earlier post, Alaric76 mentioned upgrading Ram and storage.

The Ram can be done anytime, before or after installing the distro, no issues there.

Not so the storage upgrade. That should be done prior to installing the OS for simplicity.

Cluttermagnet

Alaric76-

I mailed you a DVD with Linux Mint 17 Mate 64bit on Thursday, mid- afternoon.

You may get it Saturday; if not, Monday for sure.

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Hedon James

In an earlier post, Alaric76 mentioned upgrading Ram and storage.

The Ram can be done anytime, before or after installing the distro, no issues there.

Not so the storage upgrade. That should be done prior to installing the OS for simplicity.

I agree on both accounts! FYI, according to the Toshiba hardware link, this machine comes with 4GB RAM already installed. IMO, 4GB is plenty for just about every linux distro. A true "power user" can bump up to 8GB+ later on; this would be overkill for the average, everyday user. Again, referencing the hardware link, the machine has a 500GB HD in default config. IMO, this is plenty for most users. However, 1-2TB sure would be nice. If a HD upgrade is in the works, I'd disable Secure Boot, upgrade the HD, and THEN try/install linux.

Guest LilBambi

4GB is great. Most of us are dealing with 1-2GB RAM on our Linux boxes.

My main Linux box running Debian Wheezy (in KDE) has 2GB RAM. I used to have 4 in it but the other 1GB each sticks were not stable - didn't pass the memtest. So I removed them and been running on 2GB ever since.

Cluttermagnet

Yep- I'm not sure why he would be upgrading, also what specifically is the storage device getting upgraded. Must be a bigger hard drive?

Anyway, the RAM can be done any time but any hard drive changes would obviously have to get done now. Most of my old hardware also has around 1-1.5-2GB of RAM- like Fran has.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Most of my old hardware also has around 1-1.5-2GB of RAM- like Fran has.

I don't really have much spare hardware around anymore. Used it or sold it last year.

3 desktop computers custom built last year (mine, wife's, and son's).

Workshop has an old Dell Core2 Quad (came with 2GB RAM, but updated to 4 from my junk pile).

One 2011 era Chromebook as a fun toy.