Don't Bother

raymac46

I recently upgraded my Windows video card and put the old card - Nvidia GTX650 - into an ancient desktop running Linux Mint 17.3 (Kernel 3.19.)

I quickly learned there's no point in trying the FOSS Nouveau driver with this setup. Cinnamon boots in Software rendering mode and no 3D hardware acceleration. Installing the proprietary Nvidia driver fixes this.

Another reason why the Nouveau driver is still not ready for prime time - at least with older kernels. Don't bother.

securitybreach

Yeah, noveau has always been horrid since everything has to be reverse engineered. Unlike AMD, Nvidia does not disclose anything

Nouveau worked well with my GTX560 Ti.

Good to hear as I always heard the opposite. :thumbsup:

"Don't believe everything you hear on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

And it does actually work with my GTX970 when using MX-15 or PartedMagic although not officially supported. I also installed KXStudio after getting that card although I can't recall if I had a desktop after install, but I did change to Nvidia driver and later kernel as 4K monitor support is better. I think you need 4.2.x or later and IIRC need to install a backports kernel for Jessie.

• Like 1

I think the issue is probably with Cinnamon. I have a similar problem in VirtualBox where Cinnamon complains about Software rendering.

Both Manjaro and MX-15 worked well with a very old card and Nouveau in my oldest desktop.

Edited by raymac46