New version of ImgBurn released

Tushman

A new version was released a few days ago. Current version is 2.5.4.0.Change log:

• Remove some more try/catch statements (mainly to do with buffer recovery stuff) in an attempt to get to the root cause of an EInvalidOp error that I've seen in a few bug reports.
  • Changed/Fixed: Attempt to clean up the icons created in the wrong location by a bug in v2.5.2.0. It made them in the current user profile rather than the all users profile and could leave you with duplicate icons after installing v2.5.3.0.
  • Fixed: Bug introduced in v2.5.3.0 when selecting multiple files in an 'Open File' dialog box under Vista+ (i.e. those using the new IFileDialog code). The first file was being removed from the list of selected files. Sunday 12th December 2010.

Download mirrors.

Edited by Tushman

• 5 weeks later...
A new version was released a few days ago. Current version is 2.5.4.0.Change log:
  • Remove some more try/catch statements (mainly to do with buffer recovery stuff) in an attempt to get to the root cause of an EInvalidOp error that I've seen in a few bug reports.
  • Changed/Fixed: Attempt to clean up the icons created in the wrong location by a bug in v2.5.2.0. It made them in the current user profile rather than the all users profile and could leave you with duplicate icons after installing v2.5.3.0.
  • Fixed: Bug introduced in v2.5.3.0 when selecting multiple files in an 'Open File' dialog box under Vista+ (i.e. those using the new IFileDialog code). The first file was being removed from the list of selected files. Sunday 12th December 2010.

Download mirrors.

Another new version 2.5.5.0 released about 14 January.You know, I don't know why I update this program, it works perfect as it is. I guess I do it "Just In Case".

• 2 months later...
I'm using a very old version on one computer and a newer one on another. If I don't have problems, I usually do not update an app.
Am I correct in assuming that ImgBurn only wants to burn image files, i.e., xxx.iso? That's fine if what you want to burn is already an iso, but the output product of [for example] DVDFab is a directory full of files. To make a video dvd of that set, it appears to me that ImgBurn requires you to first create an iso file from that set of files before you can start burning it -- which requires 2x the disk space, and takes an appreciable amount of time. Neither Nero [windows] nor k3b [linux] required that preliminary step.

Am I correct in assuming that ImgBurn only wants to burn image files, i.e., xxx.iso? That's fine if what you want to burn is already an iso, but the output product of [for example] DVDFab is a directory full of files. To make a video dvd of that set, it appears to me that ImgBurn requires you to first create an iso file from that set of files before you can start burning it -- which requires 2x the disk space, and takes an appreciable amount of time. Neither Nero [windows] nor k3b [linux] required that preliminary step.
ImgBurn is not limited to just burning iso files; it's far more capable than that. You can burn just about any type of data files onto CD/DVD recordables.

I've used ImgBurn to burn data CDs and DVDs. One of my computers refuses to burn data so I tried it on there to see how it would work. It was fine, though not as intuitive as burning an ISO. The downside of using ImgBurn is once you burn the data, nothing more can be added. It doesn't close a session and leave the disk open to add more later as other burning software does. Unless you have almost a disk full of data, I don't recommend using it to burn data.Added note: maybe a newer version does allow this. As I posted above, my comments are based on an old version that works fine on my 2K and XP computers.

Edited by zlim

I kind of like ImgBurn, but the freebie of Nero (at least till version 8) that gets bundled with DVD's seems to me to do a better job of burning data DVDs. ISO burning seems about the same. ImgBurn gives me more compatable results when burning DVD folders.