I Really Enjoyed This Article

raymac46

That was indeed an interesting read. I must say I'm expecting big things from ElementaryOS. I gave 0.3 a try a while ago after borking an Arch install and wanting to try something different. It was still based on Ubuntu 14.04 back then, and I ran into quite a few glitches. It's come a long way since and the team does seem to be very committed... to the end user experience too, among everything else. The pay what you want app store (never mind my own feelings about the "software centers" in general) sure seems to be a good step towards bringing more developers towards making native Linux programs, as well as making it easy for people to support a project they like.

What I took away was the importance of the community to the desktop portion of any distro. I don't really think Ubuntu will be that affected if Canonical does concentrate on server and IoT technologies as the community has always been there - at least it has in my time with Ubuntu. Debian and Arch have always been community based.

A good reason to investigate the community before committing long term to a distro. Elementary is an Ubuntu derivative so you should be in good shape.

On the RPM side Fedora has Red Hat behind it. Much as I like derivative distros like Mageia and Open Mandriva I wonder about their viability long term.

Slackware of course no problem.

Hedon James

Agree with Ray 100%!

Upon learning of Linux, I was initially overwhelmed with the seemingly hundreds of choices. Later on, I learned it literally was hundreds, if not thousands, of choices. When trying to figure out what "my distro" should be in the Linux world, my #1A criteria was a desktop that made sense to me, my preferences, and my workflow, but my #1B criteria is a vibrant & knowledgeble community, with resources to troubleshoot when/if that moment arrives; and if I'm not able to figure it out myself from forum cruising, or FAQ bulletins, I'd like the community to be friendly enough to respond in a collaborative manner, not telling me to RTFM.

Communities are everything in Linux! In many ways, with access to the same tools, programs, environments, and eco-systems, the best way to differentiate one distro as better than another is through the Community! Good communities make distros popular; when good distros lose their way, Communities fork them; when the Community gets infected/corrupted, the distro disappears. It ain't rocket science!

V.T. Eric Layton
There are of course other distros out there as well, ranging from the more difficult like Slackware...

Difficult? What? Such silliness.

I've been sorely tempted to try BSD for quite some time. One of these days, I'm going to install it and explore that world. :yes:

Hedon James
There are of course other distros out there as well, ranging from the more difficult like Slackware...

Difficult? What? Such silliness.

I've been sorely tempted to try BSD for quite some time. One of these days, I'm going to install it and explore that world. :yes:

I've tinkered with some BSDs and have installed TrueOS (formerly PCBSD?) in a VM to check out the Lumina Desktop, which was developed from that distro.

https://www.trueos.org/

I like BSD a lot and think I could make it work for me, but it'd be a little more difficult to run my business from BSD, due to a lack of some critical software titles that I need for my business. I went through that migrating from Windows to Linux, and it took awhile to locate viable alternatives in Linux land. There are even fewer offerings in BSD, so that could be a problem for me. Although I have a Windows VM for those 2-3 stubborn Windows softwares that I can't do without (forced upon me as "industry standard" in my real estate/appraisal business). A Windows VM in BSD would be a no-brainer, but I suppose I could have a Linux Distro in a VM for those Linux softwares that I can't do without, but aren't available in BSD.

Since I went completely Linux circa 2009ish, I've been asked a few times what I would do if Linux went mainstream and became a malware target, like Windows. Without thinking, I just blurted that I'd "switch to BSD". Now that I think about that, it's probably a viable option?! B)

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 3

Having come to Linux as a retiree after working for 20 years in Windows, it always makes me smile to see folks who are doing actual serious work in Linux or possibly BSD. :clap:

The most satisfaction I get as a Linux user is to go on a cruise, walk into the iLounge on the ship to get my wifi ID and thumb my nose at all the IT support guys who don't have a clue how I'll get connected. Guess they never heard of Firefox.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

abarbarian

Having come to Linux as a retiree after working for 20 years in Windows, it always makes me smile to see folks who are doing actual serious work in Linux or possibly BSD. :clap:

The most satisfaction I get as a Linux user is to go on a cruise, walk into the iLounge on the ship to get my wifi ID and thumb my nose at all the IT support guys who don't have a clue how I'll get connected. Guess they never heard of Firefox.

Cor blimey it's ok for some folk. i hope you are taking advantage of the Celebrity iLearn classes :tease:

• Like 1

Nah I stay away from the iLounge. Unless you have an iPad or are interested in buying one they have no time for you. That includes Android and Linux users for sure.

BTW my niece is still working for Princess Cruises and has been doing the British Isles although now on her last cruise before coming home for a break.

She's in Cobh today. Her ship is Caribbean Princess.

http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/

Edited by raymac46

abarbarian

Nah I stay away from the iLounge. Unless you have an iPad or are interested in buying one they have no time for you. That includes Android and Linux users for sure.

BTW my niece is still working for Princess Cruises and has been doing the British Isles although now on her last cruise before coming home for a break.

She's in Cobh today. Her ship is Caribbean Princess.

http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/

Neat. :breakfast: