Drive FAILURE Happens

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, it was inevitable...

One of my 10,000 RPM WD Raptors broke a wing today... over 400 bad sectors, bad superblocks galore. It was only a matter of time. These two Raptors were old when I installed them in this machine back in 2013. The primary Raptor (with my Slackware main OS on it) seems to be healthy according to the tests I did on it today, but so did the secondary one just a few months ago. Poop happens.

I've got two matching WD 500Gs out back that are still new in the box and much more recent manufacture than these old Raptors were. I'll be installing them in the new Frankenputer I'll be putting together this winter. It's going to be based on a 6-core AMD processor with water-cooled block. I also have a brand new HP CD/DVD writer and some other stuff in the shop. This machine will have 16Gig RAM. I'll be doing a fresh install of Slack 14.2 on it once it's up and running.

I'm waiting till winter because it's just too miserably HOT to work out in my shop right now. :(

In the meantime, I burned all important backups to DVDs. That sure is a pain in the posterior, though. Rsync is the way to go! I'll set the new system up with mirrored rsync maintained drives like this one was till today.

So, now I'm looking forward to wintertime for the coolness and for this new project to get started. :)

Later...

• Like 1

I've got two matching WD 500Gs out back that are still new in the box and much more recent manufacture than these old Raptors were. I'll be installing them in the new Frankenputer I'll be putting together this winter. It's going to be based on a 6-core AMD processor with water-cooled block. I also have a brand new HP CD/DVD writer and some other stuff in the shop. This machine will have 16Gig RAM. I'll be doing a fresh install of Slack 14.2 on it once it's up and running.

:thumbup:
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

The 1st day of the month is backup day. Drive failure on the 31st is bad news.

HA-HA, true. Fortunately for me, this was my secondary sync drive. It IS the backup. ;) I have critical backups on DVD media and elsewhere, so all's well. I could actually access the data on the crippled drive (before I disconnected it); I just can't write new data on it, nor can I perform any fsck or parted operations because of superblock errors.

Oh, well...

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHA! A WD 150Gig 10,000rpm SATA 1 Raptor drive? I doubt it seriously, Aryeh. Both of the ones in this system were well-used second hand drives when I got it. They're probably 10 years old or so. They've given good service. Can't complain.

• Like 2

Raptor shaptor they ain't so hot. He he. I did some short stroking on some 500GB F3's some years ago and Raided em and attained almost Raptor speeds with them. Know your a techy sort so thought you might be interested in the results. You could speed up those WD's with similar results.

http://www.pcreview....dows-7.4027395/

Nice to see all you lot are still alive and kicking I missed being here. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

And we miss you!

I don't think I'll be attempting to turbo-charge my remaining 10 year old Raptor. I give it a nice soft pat each day before booting up. It's healthy now, but then, so is my 90 year old uncle, but you never know about tomorrow at that age.

And we miss you!

I don't think I'll be attempting to turbo-charge my remaining 10 year old Raptor. I give it a nice soft pat each day before booting up. It's healthy now, but then, so is my 90 year old uncle, but you never know about tomorrow at that age.

Not the Raptors !! These beasties "I've got two matching WD 500Gs out back that are still new in the box" :228823:

V.T. Eric Layton

I have two brand new WD 500Gs out in the shop, too. I'll just use them as normal people (not techie geeks) would. ;)

RAID is much too difficult and problematic in Linux, so I won't go there either. Don't need it anyway. A couple matched drives for the OS and the sync backup, and a couple miscellaneous storage drives and I'll be find and dandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard drives are fragile creatures, they all will die some day. I regularly tell people with problems "just restore from your backup" knowing full well they won't have one. I even have a reminder in my sig at Debian forums -

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:

Those who have lost data

...and those who have not lost data YET ” Remember to BACKUP!

Backup day should be every day, easy with rsync run from cron. (Do what I say, not what I do! :whistling: sunrat reminds self to set up rsync/cron on new system)

And yes I agree about RAID. Never had a need for it in the past and certainly don't with SSDs these days.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Hard drives are fragile creatures, they all will die some day. I regularly tell people with problems "just restore from your backup" knowing full well they won't have one. I even have a reminder in my sig at Debian forums -

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:

Those who have lost data

...and those who have not lost data YET ” Remember to BACKUP!

Backup day should be every day, easy with rsync run from cron. (Do what I say, not what I do! :whistling: sunrat reminds self to set up rsync/cron on new system)

And yes I agree about RAID. Never had a need for it in the past and certainly don't with SSDs these days.

Your little saying above reminds me of an old truism in the biker community...

"There are two kinds of bikers: those who've hit the pavement and those who will."

And about RAID... relatively useless for personal computing with such large drives available these days; it does have a cool name, though. ;)

• Like 2