Convert command line tool

abarbarian

abarbarian

Had a trip to National Botanic Garden of Wales which has a butterfly house where I took some pictures. On arriving home I found I had what looked like a series of nine pictures that may I thought make a decent .gif.

wKGdnAZ.jpg

How would I do this in penguin land ?

With the "convert" tool I hear you cry. How did I use this tool ?

Placed all nine pictures in a new folder.

Opened a terminal in the folder or you could cd to the folder.

Used these two commands

$ convert -resize 1920x1200 -delay 100 -loop 0 *.jpg myimage.gif

$ convert -resize 640x400 -delay 50 -loop 0 *.jpg myimage.gif

Which gave these results,

CAKu2uS.gif

DR0KHQv.gif

I decided to use " -resize " as the originals were 4928x3264 which I could have used but it would have made a pretty big .gif.

Also there are a number of guides showing how to do this same thing out there on the net with " -delay 10 " which will give you a picture change every 0.1 second. That for me was a tad quick so I used " -delay 100 " to give me a one second change, " -delay 50 " for a half second change.

The " - loop 0 " makes the .gif loop continuously, pretty obvious. You can leave out the command to just run the sequence once. Or you can do " -loop 10 " which will repeat the sequence ten times, adjust the number to suit.

Running the above on my old 32 bit Dell I thought would take a long time but the command zipped through in less than a minute to give me the .gif. Pretty neat time for an old throwaway pc.

Help me out here folks,

Which of the .gif's look best from a picture speed changing viewpoint ? The half second or the one second speed.

Ta in advance folks :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 3

abarbarian

Very cool and great shots!!! :thumbsup:

If I had had my thinking cap on I would have taken a better series of shots but it was only at home I realised that they may make a decent .gif. I was in a bit of a hurry as I left the butterfly house till last on me way back to the cafe by the exit which was due to close shortly. An I was behind time wise as I had forgotten that the camera lens would fog up in the humidity and take some time to adjust and clear. Visiting the cafe was quite important as I need to refuel with tea and scones with jam and clotted cream. :breakfast:

Which of the .gif's is easier on the eye ?

Edited by abarbarian

abarbarian

I agree, it's hard to make a choice. Either is good. Maybe first one?

Thanks folks.

I meself prefer the slower one it looks pretty neat if you click on it and run it full screen. If I had a better series of pictures the second faster set would probably be nicer. As it is I find the second one just a bit too jerky.

:breakfast:

abarbarian

More flutterbyes from the welsh national gardens. This time with a one and a half second delay.

The pupae cabinets are cool as are the strange caterpillars.

http://i.imgur.com/ODAlj32.gifv

ODAlj32.gif

This is the code

$ convert -resize 1920x1200 -delay 150 -loop 0 *.JPG butterfly3.gif

On this old Dell

$ inxi -C
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB
          clock speeds: max: 2992 MHz 1: 2992 MHz 2: 2992 MHz

it took about three minutes to convert 25 photographs to a .gif. On a

modern pc it would be much faster. The time taken is not half bad as I

was surfing the net whilst the conversion was running.

:breakfast:

• Like 1