Porteus

abarbarian

The main pagehttp://porteus.org/All the information you 'll need, http://porteus.org/faq.htmlWatch the video but do not blink.Blink and youll miss itI have not tried this yet but it looks like a good project and a good way to try out Slackware. So fast it was , I had to replay the video several times just so that my mind could keep up with what I was seeing :thumbsup:

Watch the video but do not blink.Blink and youll miss it >abarbarian++++++++++++Hi ... I have Porteus on a couple boxes here, one of which is a 4-core ATH 2-640. I dunno what kind of computer that was in the video, perhaps a virtual thing running under windows? Anyway, neither of my machines boots in even close to 14 seconds; more like 35 seconds, about the same as win2k or XP. They don't shut down that quickly, either. Perhaps due to having a lot of disk partitions? Dunno, but it's still reasonably quick. That vid was for sure not a boot from livecd, which might take more like 2 minutes. Porteus is promising -- an outgrowth of Slax, except that by now they've changed almost everything except the module concept. Still don't have nearly as many modules available as Slax has. The current rev is 1.0, but I've had better luck with the 0.9 version. Think that Fanthom is about ready to release a 1.1 rc.

Decided to try it out and I have 6 mins left for downloading.However when I try to mount a usb stick in Arch I get " Daemon inhibited" ???????? Everything used to work ok. So have I missed something when updating ?? Am fully updated but have not played with Arch for a while apart from running updates.Any pointers would be most helpful. Ta. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Decided to try it out and I have 6 mins left for downloading.However when I try to mount a usb stick in Arch I get " Daemon inhibited" ???????? Everything used to work ok. So have I missed something when updating ?? Am fully updated but have not played with Arch for a while apart from running updates.Any pointers would be most helpful. Ta. :thumbsup:
Is dbus running?Can you post your DAEMON line from /etc/rc.conf?

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... they've really polished Porteus up a bit since I tested it the last time. I may have to d-load and play again. :thumbsup:

Try not to laugh too much :thumbsup: I'm running a very very customised system is all I'll say ;) Tried fiddling with fstab :thumbsup:

/dev/sr0 /media/sr0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sr1 /media/sr1 udf ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sdf1 /media/sdf1 auto rw,users,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sdd /media/sdd auto rw,users,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sdd1 /media/sdd1 auto rw,users,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sdg /media/sdg auto rw,users,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/sdg1 /media/sdg1 auto rw,users,noauto,unhide 0 0/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0UUID=0b2f2d42-8ccd-4186-8141-36cf093cb93c swap swap defaults 0 0UUID=66225ceb-fc7f-45ea-81a1-b3d60af0d6ca /boot ext2 defaults 0 1UUID=ae77ac0a-7d2b-47d6-a813-c90914c046ed /home ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=b86ba870-ad49-4ed1-b0cd-ade6fdcf1771 / ext4 defaults 0 2

DAEMON line from /etc/rc.conf

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network @openntpd netfs crond @sensors @alsa @cpufreq autofs elsa)

securitybreach
Solved me mounting problem :) Something to do with autofs I think :whistling:
Well I do not think the issue was related to autofs as I do not even have it installed:
╔═ comhack@Cerberus 01:41 PM ╚═══ ~-> pacman -Qi autofserror: package "autofs" not found

I do not see anything wrong with your daemon list so I am not for sure what is going on:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 01:41 PM ╚═══ ~-> cat /etc/rc.conf | grep DAEMONS# DAEMONSDAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng @network @netfs @crond @alsa @dbus @sensors @ntop @mpd @openntpd @vboxdrv @sshd @tor)

I personally do not have entries for my usb devices as the device numbering(letters) change depending on if you have something else plugged in. Since I use sda, sdb, and sdc drives; when I plug in a usb drive, it usually identifies the device as sdd. If I already have one plugged in, it recognizes the next one as sde and so forth. My point is, you should not have to manually add usb devices via fstab as udev should take care of this:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 01:50 PM ╚═══ ~-> cat /etc/fstab# # /etc/fstab: static file system information## <file system>		<dir>		 <type>	<options>		  <dump> <pass>devpts				 /dev/pts	  devpts	defaults			0	  0shm					/dev/shm	  tmpfs	 nodev,nosuid		0	  0UUID=3067b591-934e-4c73-a4a7-e5d9da6c267a /backup ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=93723ccc-25e8-4483-ba61-dd8854528774 /home ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=cb0d6b0f-1c2a-46c8-99eb-bbe4e1bcb1b5 /MEDIA ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=ede3bd20-4177-4bca-b6ae-40b00d79dfd2 / ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=f1163b53-6a30-47fc-8ae8-a5f3b9940897 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/sda1								 /windows  ntfs-3g   defaults		  0	   0

Ta.I think I had entries for usb sticks entered wrongly at fstab. I know I managed to mount manually before and then I managed to get them to mount automatically. Then just lately I could not mount at all. But now after fiddling I can. :whistling: This Arch has just about run its course. I have fiddled and twiddled so much following what I did or did not do is worse than a Gordian Knot. :) Time to do a full fresh install as it has served its time as a learning tool. :whistling: Time to get serious with Arch. B)

securitybreach

Been there, done that Abarbarian. Sometimes starting from a fresh install is the best way especially if your like me and love to tinker. :whistling:

Well I burnt Porteus to a cd abd followed instructions on installing to a usb and here I am on Porteus.It did boot very fast. Not as fast as the video, I recon that guy used some magic, but it booted very quickly.Connected to the net and flash seems to work as I can play movies on You Tube(maybe it is Gnash).That's not bad for an out of the box experience. :whistling:

So I took a photo of the minute usb stick that I am running Proteus on. (me nails are still semi-dirty from gardening as I did not scrub up too hard as I'm going to soak in the bath later)so so small usbMy flash card was recognized and automatically mounted and I viewed pics in Gwenview,Out of the box all my partitions show, 4 x Arch and Raid 1 for Windows 7. Can not access Windows 7 as it shows

"An error occurred while accessing '92.8 GiB Hard Drive', the system responded: org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:mount: Stale NFS file handle"
Arch root and boot opens and I can access files.Arch /home opens but shows empty folders.So not everything works straight out of the box.Still I am impressed with the speed and the look, KDE nicely set up with some good programs installed.The fact that I can get on the net and You Tube with sound is very nice.All in all a very satisfying trial run.Why did I bother you may ask.Well I know the site has plenty of slackers and I know they always like something new to play with :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Having a breather from me Arch epic fail so I thought instead of using Elive to get online I would give me Porteus another go.

I must say I am pretty impressed with the speed of operation and most of its functionality. The fact that persistent saves is set up by default is nice as it remembered me from the last time I fired it up.

Just added the copy2ram cheatcode to see what effect it will have and to see if it does indeed stick after a reboot.

BBC news videos work but I do not seem to have any sound. Both onboard and my Asus Xonar DS card are showing up in the sound control so it must be some tweak or conflict that needs sorting.

When I reboot I'll choose the LXDE as I have never tried that particular desktop beforel

B)

In trying to fix the missing sound I found this at the Porteus forums,

http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=748

f

or future reference: the best method in dealing with priority for 2 (or more) sound cards would be to use asoundconf package from AUR (Arch User Repository)

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/asoun ... onf.tar.gz

download it and unpack, then edit 'asoundconf' and change first line from

#!/usr/bin/python2

to

#!/usr/bin/python

you can use it with following syntax:

Code: Select all
    asoundconf list
    asoundconf set-default-card <one from the list>

this script gonna create .asoundrc.asoundconf config in your home directory so in case of not saving changes you need to copy it to /porteus/rootcopy/<home_dir> folder

I have downloaded and made the python2 to python change but am stumped as to what to do next. Am I on the right track with this or is it another red herring. :rolleyes:

securitybreach

Well to run a script, you need to first make it executable:

chmod +x scriptname.py

Then execute it with:

./scriptname.py

As far as the actual fix, I am not for sure but that is how you run a script.

Thanks for the very useful information that filled yet another gap in me need to know tome.

Ran the script but still no sound. No sweat I have plenty of other live cd's with sound working.

This does seem to run fast though.

:thumbsup:

Ta.

Well I had quick fiddle about and could get sound when I used the TEST button in KMix but coulod not get sound to work otherwise so it looks like s small tweak is needed is all.

Never mind I moved on and am now posting from antix..All the usual suspects seem to work just fine ootb. Neat.

Will come back to Porteus another day when I'm not so jaded.

<_<

securitybreach
However when I try to mount a usb stick in Arch I get " Daemon inhibited" ???????? Everything used to work ok. So have I missed something when updating ?? Am fully updated but have not played with Arch for a while apart from running updates.Any pointers would be most helpful. Ta. :unsure:

I just got that error earlier and while researching, I found that the error is usually caused by not rebooting after a kernel update and trying to mount a partition. I had a kernel update earlier today and tried to mount a usb drive then I got that error. After searching the arch forums, I ran across a post explaining that this is usually caused by a new kernel being installed and not rebooting before trying to mount a partition/drive.

I just got that error earlier and while researching, I found that the error is usually caused by not rebooting after a kernel update and trying to mount a partition. I had a kernel update earlier today and tried to mount a usb drive then I got that error. After searching the arch forums, I ran across a post explaining that this is usually caused by a new kernel being installed and not rebooting before trying to mount a partition/drive.

:worthy: :worthy: Blimey what a memory you have. An what dedication to the task of helping your humble forum members. :worthy: :worthy:

Pm sent to queeny. Not quite worth a OBE but definitly worth a CBE. <_<

securitybreach
:worthy: :worthy: Blimey what a memory you have. An what dedication to the task of helping your humble forum members. :worthy: :worthy:

Pm sent to queeny. Not quite worth a OBE but definitly worth a CBE. <_>

Well I do what I can :)

Well Porteus saved my bacon whilst installing Arch. :thumbsup:

I posted earlier that I could see my Arch root but it seemed empty. That was because I did not have hidden files showing in Dolhpin Also I found that included is a Dolphin Superuser which came in very handy as I could tweak a few thing s in Arch while they were still fresh in my mind whilst still in Porteus.

Changes I made were saved automatically as my usb stick had been formatted as ext3 this is the same for any linux file format. If you format to FAT then you have to fiddle about for automatic saving.

Porteus comes with US keyboards etc which is a pain as I am in the UK. There is a neat application with a simple wizard that if you follow will make all your changes and package them in a xzm module which you then place in "/porteus/modules" This can be found from Dolphin by clicking on the usb stick showing in the tree.

This shows you two directories: /boot and /porteus. The /boot folder contains your bootloader configuration files, installation scripts, a few utilities, documentation, and the linux kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd.

Inside the /porteus directory you will find all of the files (other than the kernel and initrd) that are used to build the live filesystem.Also inside the /porteus folder are some empty directories, which can be used for customizing your system.

One neat feature I found was that if I closed FF and closed the system down upon reboot all the open tabs were restored and I was still logged into sites. This may be a security concern for some folk. I still have to investigate whether it is possible to use some form of encryption or other security feature. this is not a priority as my usb slip sits in my wallet. Which if you know anything about Yorkshiremen is as safe as being kept in Fort Knox.

I still have not found out how to get sound. I think this is a problem as I have mobo sound and a Asus DC sound card.

I'm very impressed with this live distro especialy as it has a KDE interface option and runs fast as stink with the "copy2ram" cheat code and with a you tube vid playing in FF still only uses 140 MB of memory.

Give it some penguin love and try it out. :thumbsup:

Edited by abarbarian