laptop shuts down

lewmur

Anybody ever see a CPU report excessive overheating a shutting down even when its not? I bought a used Acer 5517 real cheap because it was supposedly overheating and shutting down. When I got it, the fan would shut down after a few seconds but the laptop would continue running for several minutes. Disassembled it a cleared all the dust and tried it again. Same thing. Hard wired the fan to 5v and it blows hard continuously. Now the laptop will run quite a while but will still shut down eventually. But the bottom of the laptop wasn't getting anywhere as near as hot to the touch as I would expect. So, I downloaded a program to check the temps and it did report it running very hot. 80c

Disassembled it again and re-applied thermal paste to the CPU and changed the pads on the other components. No help. Disassembled the thing again and lashed components to a bare minimum to get it to boot but still able to get a digital thermometer probe on the heatsink. It only read 45c when it shut down again. Was able to disassemble for that point in only about 90 seconds and the CPU was barely warm to the touch. I can only conclude that the CPU is misreading its temp.

Any ideas anyone? I can get a replacment CPU on eBay for under $10, so I going to try that.

• 2 weeks later...

I know but that was my first thought...

Replacement CPU finally arrived. It has been up and running now for about an hour and a half "checkingr updates". (MS's site for Win7 has sure gotten slow!!) Hardware Monitor says both cores are below 80c even though the "load" on both is above 80%. Checked AMD site and it says the max operating temp is 95c, so things are looking OK. Fingers crossed.
  • Like 2

securitybreach

Replacement CPU finally arrived. It has been up and running now for about an hour and a half "checkingr updates". (MS's site for Win7 has sure gotten slow!!) Hardware Monitor says both cores are below 80c even though the "load" on both is above 80%. Checked AMD site and it says the max operating temp is 95c, so things are looking OK. Fingers crossed.

Excellent :thumbup:

Hello,

I have seen this happen when a thermal sensor had bad temperature data in the embedded controller. The solution was to flash the BIOS (which you'd want to do only when the system in question had been powered down enough to be able to start at ambient temperature).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

This is weird. Since changing the CPU, the laptop will run for hours without shutting down. However, it won't restart. If I have to restart the laptop, say after installing updates, as soon as it reaches the point where it tries the reboot, it shuts down. I then have to wait a while before it will start back up. But, again, once it does, it will continue to run without problems. BTW, there are no BIOS settings for fan control or temp readings. Or CPU overclocking.

securitybreach

What do you mean "it wont restart"? Do you get an error or anything and are you restarting with the command reboot in the console or what?

BTW I am glad that its not shutting down now

Hello,

If you examine the logic board, any noticeable signs of damage (scorched or swollen components, discoloration of the PCB itself, etc.)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

What do you mean "it wont restart"? Do you get an error or anything and are you restarting with the command reboot in the console or what?

As soon as it starts to read the HDD, it shuts off.

securitybreach

I'm a bit confused. Shutting down should only cause the drives to unmount, not be read.

I'm a bit confused. Shutting down should only cause the drives to unmount, not be read.

It shuts down fine. it is when it starts to reboot that it shuts off. Then, if I turn it back on right away, as soon as it starts to read the boot device, it turns back off.

It refuses to restart, as lewmur said

it is when it starts to reboot that it shuts off.

He has exactly one option because shut down and restart both do the same thing: shut off.

• 2 weeks later...

80 C sounds a tad hot to me. Have no experience with AMD laptops but for a pc that is way too high 50 C worries me on a AMD pc. Best of luck with the hunt. :fish:

I don't know which one did the trick, but I switched from the white heatsink paste to the silver type and replaced the thermocoupler and the core temps went from the 80c range to 40c and now the laptop will restart without waiting.

• Like 2

securitybreach

80 C sounds a tad hot to me. Have no experience with AMD laptops but for a pc that is way too high 50 C worries me on a AMD pc. Best of luck with the hunt. :fish:

I don't know which one did the trick, but I switched from the white heatsink paste to the silver type and replaced the thermocoupler and the core temps went from the 80c range to 40c and now the laptop will restart without waiting.

Wow, great news :thumbsup: