Linux server for phpBB

b2cm

A friend wants to run phpBB on Linux. What distro should I recommend he play around with? He has been programming for years but on the Windows platform so Linux is a new thing for him.

Hi b2cmI would hook him on the latest Mandriva and let him setup the "Contrib"-source to get the additional packages.Next the command "urpmi drakwizard" to install the server-related wizards and after that it is just clicking away on a few buttons in the MCC wizards to set up a server and configure any additional packages.B) Bruno

The Live CD will do indeed, you can install it to HD and add all the software you extra need with urpmi. ( it will be a good few MB additional because the Live CD is pretty "basic" )Take the KDE One, makes it all easier and pretty to look at :DJust let me know when it is installed and I will post the commands to add the relevant software-sources that gives access to the extra packages.B) Bruno

Posting from Mandriva One live CD. What if I it install to a spare disk on my system and after setting everything up, move the disk to his system at his office? Bad idea?

unless the system in his office has 100% the same hardware components
;) His is an Asus Intel and mine is an Abit Via. Anyway, I've installed it on the spare drive. I will begin the updates as soon as I get the kids away from the computers. ;) I'll post to get the directions.Thanks a million.

Hi b2cmThe software source for the updates is easy . . . have a look in the first post Here it will give you the 2 most important additional sources ( Main and Contrib ) as well.So, the plan is: first do the updates . . and then I will post instructions for additional packages.:) Bruno

Hi b2cmSeems you are ready to install the wizards for the server packages:

$ su< password ># urpmi drakwizard

It will additionally install a few dependencies . . . ;) . . . . . after the install is complete you can open the MCC and will find additional sections like "Sharing" . . in the "Sharing" section there is the wizard to set up an apache web server.B) Bruno

Is there a problem? From Konsole screen:[bart@localhost ~]$ suPassword:locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory[root@localhost bart]# urpmi drakwizardperl: warning: Setting locale failed.perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en", LC_ALL = (unset), LC_PAPER = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_ADDRESS = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_MONETARY = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_SOURCED = "1", LC_NUMERIC = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_TELEPHONE = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_MESSAGES = "en_US.UTF-8", LC_COLLATE = "en_US.UTF-8", LC_IDENTIFICATION = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_MEASUREMENT = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8", LC_TIME = "en_US.UTF-8", LC_NAME = "zh_HK.UTF-8", LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system.perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").Some requested packages cannot be installed:drakwizard-trac-0.9.6-1mdv2007.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(MDK::Wizard::Wi zcommon))Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

Hi b2cmI "think" this is because you installed the US version and set the country to either Canada ( or other ) . . .you can solve the "default locale" with:Type mcc in a terminal . . and after giving the root-password you will get the package manager . . . open the "add-software" and make it search for "kde-i18" ( that it the letter i and the number 18 ) . . and see if there is a "locale" that would fit the country you live.After that the "su" problem should be solved . . . after that one we will try to tackle the other problem.:P Bruno

Thanks. Solved the locale problem. Now I'm at the PERL dependency problem. What do I do next?[bart@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost bart]# urpmi drakwizardSome requested packages cannot be installed:drakwizard-trac-0.9.6-1mdv2007.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(MDK::Wizard::Wizcommon))Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

Hi b2cmIt is looking like there is a file missing on that mirror . . .. you could do an "urpmi.update -a" and try again . . . or remove the present sources and add different ones ( the "coffee" one from France has a name of being complete )In any case do not force the install as long as there are unresolved dependencies, there are additional "tricks" we can try if also the French mirrors do not have the package.Also maybe show the output of "# urpmq --list-media active":thumbsup: Bruno

Did the urpmi.update -a:[root@localhost bart]# urpmi.update -acomputing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)examining MD5SUM fileexamining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Contrib (Official2007.0-3).cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)examining MD5SUM fileretrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4)"... http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/dis...trib_updates.czcomputing md5sum of retrieved source hdlist (or synthesis)...retrieving doneexamining synthesis file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4).cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)examining MD5SUM fileretrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "update_source"... http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/dis..._info/hdlist.czcomputing md5sum of retrieved source hdlist (or synthesis)...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.update_source.cz]performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Contrib (Official2007.0-3).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4).cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.update_source.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "update_source"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost bart]# Then tried the urpmi drakwizard again:Some requested packages cannot be installed:drakwizard-trac-0.9.6-1mdv2007.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(MDK::Wizard::Wizcommon))Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) :thumbsup: This is the output for urpmq --list-media active:[root@localhost bart]# urpmq --list-media activeContrib (Official2007.0-3)Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4)update_sourceIf we were to proceed via that alternative, how do I remove the present sources and add the ones from the French 'coffee' site?

Edited by b2cm

Ahaaaa . . . I see now what is wrong !You do not have the "Main" source configured . . . . . please do the following command as root:

urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_main.release" ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/ with ./media_info/hdlist.cz

( Command is ONE line ! )After that try "# urpmi drakwizard" again, and show me what it says ;):P Bruno

Had to do a complete reinstall and the updates. The only difference is that I was able to download 40 packages (previous was only 23), which is still less than the updates you enumenrated in that Mandriva update topic. Anyway, I did the 'urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_main.release"', and then ran the 'urpmi drakwizard' command. This is what the console says:One of the following packages is needed: 1- perl-ldap-0.33-3mdk.noarch : Perl modules for ldap (to install) 2- perl-Net-LDAP-0.33-1mdv2007.0.noarch : Net-LDAP module for Perl (to install)What is your choice? (1-2)How do I proceed?

:( More problems. When I su > mcc, the console displays the following error messages:[root@localhost bart]# mcc[root@localhost bart]# GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471. :hmm: Edited by b2cm

Hi b2cmCan you show me "# urpmq --list-media active" again ??Also, maybe better do Alt+F2 to get a "run-box" and then type "/usr/sbin/drakconf" to start the MCC . . . it will give less errorsB) Bruno

[bart@localhost ~]# urpmq --list-media activeContrib (Official2007.0-2)Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-3)update_source2007_main.release[bart@localhost ~]#Ran "/usr/sbin/drakconf" and got the mcc. I can't find the "Sharing" section, however.

Edited by b2cm

[bart@localhost ~]# urpmq --list-media activeContrib (Official2007.0-2)Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-3)update_source2007_main.release[bart@localhost ~]#
Okay that is good . . . now do "# urpmi drakwizard" again and when it makes you choose again, take: "1- perl-ldap-0.33-3mdk.noarch : Perl modules for ldap (to install)" . . . ;):w00t: Bruno

Got this:To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:drakwizard-3.1-1mdv2007.0.noarchdrakwizard-base-3.1-1mdv2007.0.noarchperl-Convert-ASN1-0.20-1mdk.noarchperl-Expect-1.20-1mdv2007.0.noarchperl-IO-Tty-1.07-1mdv2007.0.i586perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09-1mdk.noarchperl-XML-SAX-0.14-1mdk.noarchperl-ldap-0.33-3mdk.noarchProceed with the installation of the 8 packages? (10 MB) (Y/n)Selected Yes. Result: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...1mdk.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...1mdk.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...07.0.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...07.0.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...1mdk.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...07.0.noarch.rpmftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...3mdk.noarch.rpminstalling perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09-1mdk.noarch.rpm perl-Convert-ASN1-0.20-1mdk.noarch.rpm perl-IO-Tty-1.07-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm perl-Expect-1.20-1mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm drakwizard-base-3.1-1mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm perl-XML-SAX-0.14-1mdk.noarch.rpm drakwizard-3.1-1mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm perl-ldap-0.33-3mdk.noarch.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpmsPreparing... ############################################# 1/8: drakwizard-base ############################################# 2/8: perl-IO-Tty ############################################# 3/8: perl-Expect ############################################# 4/8: perl-Convert-ASN1 ############################################# 5/8: perl-XML-NamespaceSupport############################################# 6/8: perl-XML-SAX ############################################# 7/8: perl-ldap ############################################# 8/8: drakwizard #############################################[root@localhost bart]#

Good . . that looks perfect to me b2cm !!Now you should have the "Sharing" section in the MCC to set up the Apache2 web server. ( the wizard will install the needed packages and set up the config files ):thumbsup: Bruno