The KDE Death Watch

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Is KDE dying? This question, or variants of it, have been asked with increasing frequency in the two weeks since Jonathan Riddell announced that, after the next release, Canonical would no longer pay him for his work on Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu.

But is the question valid? Or simply unsupported panic?

Read more...

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/the-...th-watch-1.html

securitybreach

I agree somewhat with the author but really? Just because Canonical is stopping their support of KDE, it does not mean that anything is going on with KDE. Canonical is not even a big supporter of KDE anyway.

With Nokia, Novell, Sirius, and Google behind KDE; I do not think it will be going anywhere anytime soon. http://ev.kde.org/supporting-members.php

IMHO this is just FUD or people freaking out for no reason. On the top of page two there is a quote saying pretty much the same thing:

...., "We have not in the past relied exclusively or even primarily on Canonical's involvement so, while we regret they aren't participating as much anymore, the impact is not expected to be significant."

Going by the author's view, you could also say the same thing about Gnome because Ubuntu uses Unity instead OOTB. I am sorry to say but Ubuntu is not the only distro out there nor does their changes affect other distros as a whole. I am not saying Ubuntu is not a great distro but the idea of open source would never allow one company to change everything. That is the beauty of FOSS software.

Guest LilBambi

I agree. Definitely FUD on the part of the author. KDE has many sponsors.

The only reason KDE development would want to even imply a death watch is if they wish to imply a death watch because they were counting chickens before they were hatched?

KDE has always done well and gained a large following. And with their latest version, they have redeemed themselves after the development fiasco we all had to live through previously. ;)

Anyone who believes that KDE is dying would do well to look at history. A Google search for "is KDE dead" returns 38,100 results, most of them in the last five years, but a few over a decade old. By contrast, "is GNOME dead" returns only 6 results. Apparently, the KDE death-watch has a long tradition, even though there has never been much to see.

The article by Byfield is about FUD. It isn't itself FUD.

I agree. Definitely FUD on the part of the author. KDE has many sponsors.

The only reason KDE development would want to even imply a death watch is if they wish to imply a death watch because they were counting chickens before they were hatched?

KDE has always done well and gained a large following. And with their latest version, they have redeemed themselves after the development fiasco we all had to live through previously. ;)

I think to be fair to the author, the article does not read that KDE is in last lap, it is more that talk of KDE's demise is much premature.

Perhaps the headline writer left out a question mark?

Guest LilBambi
Trying to get folks' attention, I think. And it worked.

I guess that is the intention of headlines in general. But I really dislike deceptive headlines. And we are seeing way too many of those these days.

securitybreach
I guess that is the intention of headlines in general. But I really dislike deceptive headlines. And we are seeing way too many of those these days.

I concur :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
The Kubuntu Community is pleased to announce plans for the 12.04 LTS release of Kubuntu. As approved by the Ubuntu Technical Board on January 9th, 12.04 will be a 5-year long-term support cycle for Kubuntu. Please see our Beta 1 announcement for some of the highlights.

Some recent confusion followed an announcement by Canonical that they would no longer be sponsoring a full-time developer for Kubuntu, or offer commercial support contracts for it.

Kubuntu has always been and always will be a community made project. The Kubuntu Council and community of developers would like to reaffirm their commitment to provide the same level of support for Kubuntu 12.04 as in previous releases, and to ensure that Canonical's staffing constraints will not affect the level and quality of support that Kubuntu offers to users. Our 11.10 release was also made without a staff member from Canonical and our future ones will be as well. The Kubuntu contributor community is dedicated to the project and will continue to support and release the latest KDE Software along with Kubuntu every six months.

Users can be assured of continuing support, no matter how small or great their needs.

Kubuntu has always been primarily built and supported by an active community of volunteers. If you would like to help build the future of Kubuntu, we welcome new recruits with experience or interest in the following areas: KDE Programming (in C++, QML, Python), Packaging, QA Testing, QA Automation, User support, Bug Triage

If you would like to help, please contact us on the kubuntu-devel mailing list or #kubuntu-devel on the FreeNode network.

In Friendship, The Kubuntu Council

Christian Mangold

David Wonderly

Harald Sitter

Jonathan Riddell

Jonathan Thomas

Scott Kitterman

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/12.04-lts-announce