Audigy 2 & broken sound.....

ross549

OK, the other day, I ran some updates, and rebooted my computer. Sound is now dead. I do not recall if the sound died immediately after the updates or not, but the updates were done earlier this week. I get no errors during startup, and from what I can tell, all is well, ecept my sound card is silent.

[adam@localhost ~]$ aumix -qvol 67, 67bass 53, 53treble 48, 48synth 80, 80pcm 100, 100speaker 80, 80line 77, 77mic 80, 80cd 77, 77line1 84, 84dig1 80, 80phin 77, 77phout 77, 77

[root@localhost adam]# lsmod | grep sndsnd_seq_dummy		   2596  0snd_seq_oss			31424  0snd_seq_midi_event	  5664  1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq				47952  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_pcm_oss			48032  0snd_mixer_oss		  16896  1 snd_pcm_osssnd_emu10k1		   113540  1snd_rawmidi			19616  1 snd_emu10k1snd_seq_device		  6892  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidisnd_ac97_codec		 82588  1 snd_emu10k1snd_pcm				80324  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codecsnd_timer			  20740  3 snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_pcmsnd_page_alloc		  8488  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcmsnd_util_mem			3264  1 snd_emu10k1snd_hwdep			   6880  1 snd_emu10k1snd					46436  13 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdepsoundcore			   7008  1 snd

[root@localhost adam]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIOsnd-emu10k1	 : Creative Labs|EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1102 device:0004 subv:1102 subd:1002)

[root@localhost adam]# grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf[root@localhost adam]# cat /etc/modules.conf

[root@localhost adam]# /sbin/chkconfig --list soundsound		   0:off   1:off   2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off[root@localhost adam]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsaalsa			0:off   1:off   2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off

Now my only concern is that there is nothing in modules.conf. What can I do at this point?

More info:

[adam@localhost ~]$ ls -al /dev/dspcrw-rw----  1 adam audio 14, 3 Oct  7 09:46 /dev/dsp[adam@localhost ~]$ ls -al /dev/mixercrw-rw----  1 adam audio 14, 0 Oct  7 09:46 /dev/mixer

[root@localhost adam]# cat /etc/modprobe.preload# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.## This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY# for old kernel use /etc/modulesevdevbttvradeonemu10k1-gphw_randomintel-agp

[root@localhost adam]# cat /etc/modprobe.confinstall usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }remove emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove emu10k1install emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install emu10k1

Before you jump a bunch of hoops here, have you checked to see if you have sound in any other distro? It is possible to be hardware related!

That was one of the first things I checked......But I did discover the problem. I had installed and set the latest kernel to be the default in LILO. I backed down to an earlier kernel and all is well.

Hi AdamLOL . . . you did find the replacement for /etc/modules.conf yourself: "/etc/modprobe.preload" that is good ! :thumbsup:Now the issue with the kernel would make you think that there would be missing modules when booting the new kernel . . . but your lsmod does show a good bunch of them.I would file a bug-report and stick to the old kernel as long as there is no replacement for the new one.:ph34r: Bruno

Surprising! All I had to do was run alsaconf. My sounds have returned. ;)
LOL . . . well, that was simple wasn't it ?? . . . . :whistling: ( I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers after the recent updates . . . :thumbsup: );) Bruno