* Synaptic :-Getting Firefox-28.0.tar.bz2 installed *

Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Every time I open Iceweasel I get a warning message which mentions Chrome . I do not have chrome installed

But there is :-

xserver-xorg-video-openchrome 1:0.2.904+svn842-: x.org x server --via display driver is in there.

I like streaming movies so thats ?needed ?

How to install moz28 tar bz2 from home/user/downloads with synaptic and get rid of old browser .

So far I have just about kept up to date with the info on the synaptic man pages . But somehow I'm missing the wood for the trees.

Edited by Capt.Crow

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, let's see... you're running Debian, right? That means all you have in the repos is Iceskunk... wolverine, weasel, whatever-the-heck they call it, right? Well, you can manually download and compile your own real Firefox, but you may fall into Dependency H3LL trying to get it working.

When you manually download an app from source, you don't use synaptic to install it. Synaptic is only used to obtain apps from the operating system's repositories. It does not function with raw source that you manually download. You have to compile that yourself. It will require you to decompress the package and use the "make" and other similar commands from the command line. It also does not automatically install dependent libraries and other apps that the app you're trying to compile may need to run. This is what's called Dependency H3LL. You run around forever trying to find and manually install those needed apps and libs. You end up in a giant tail-chasing downward spiral, often causing a nervous breakdown.

When I ran Debian, I would "borrow" the higher versioned Iceweasel from the "Sid" repos and install it into my Debian. You can do this by visiting a Sid repo and manually downloading the Iceweasel .deb package. Then install it on your own system using apt.

Clear as mud, huh?

I'll stand aside now and allow the Debian experts out there lend a hand with some possibly better advice. :yes:

Firefox in Debian is called Iceweasel because of Debian's strict licensing guidelines (look up DFSG). It is the same in nearly all respects.

If you want the most recent Iceweasel release, currently v29, you can get it from mozilla.debian.net repository.

It is easy to add the repository using the instructions on that page, or I think it can be done in Synaptic. Do an update/refresh of the sources and it should appear in Synaptic to install, and then you will get the latest version every time you upgrade.

You could also just unpack the tar.gz file to a directory (I make a /bin directory in my HOME) and click on "firefox". This is ok to test but I wouldn't do it permanently. You never receive updates for starters. It is always better to use the package manager (Synaptic, apt-get or aptitude) to install from the repositories than manually install, so the system knows what is there.

xserver-xorg-video-openchrome is a graphics driver and has nothing at all to do with Google Chrome. Post the exact and complete error message you get so we can diagnose better.

• Like 1

saturnian

Every time I open Iceweasel I get a warning message which mentions Chrome . I do not have chrome installed

But there is :-

xserver-xorg-video-openchrome 1:0.2.904+svn842-: x.org x server --via display driver is in there.

I like streaming movies so thats ?needed ?

How to install moz28 tar bz2 from home/user/downloads with synaptic and get rid of old browser .

So far I have just about kept up to date with the info on the synaptic man pages . But somehow I'm missing the wood for the trees.

After reading the package description for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome, I don't think that has anything to do with Google Chrome. I see the package installed here in Debian Wheezy. I also have Iceweasel 24.5.0 installed here, but I don't get any warning message when I start Iceweasel.

About a day ago, I installed Firefox in Wheezy. I followed the steps in the "Installing outside of a package manager" section of this page: https://support.mozi...irefox on Linux

The package downloaded from the Firefox download page (https://www.mozilla....medium=referral) was firefox-29.0.tar.bz2.

I moved it from /home/steve//Downloads to /home/steve, and then extracted with this command:

$ tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2

After that, the following command runs Firefox, as noted in the instructions for "Installing outside of a package manager":

$ ~/firefox/firefox

Installing Firefox this way, it will not be updated with Synaptic, but in Firefox's Preferences (Preferences > Advanced > Update tab) you can choose from one of the following:

- Automatically install updates

- Check for updates (user chooses whether to install them)

- Never check for updates

That's my normal procedure for installing Firefox in Debian. I then create a launcher for Firefox. I don't use Iceweasel, but I don't bother getting rid of it.

Other people will prefer to install Firefox in /opt using a procedure similar to the one shown at the following page and elsewhere: http://namhuy.net/23...7-3-wheezy.html

Folks have debated about whether or not you should install Firefox in the home directory instead of in /opt for years. I'd say install it in /opt if you're more comfortable with that approach; I've always installed it in the home directory and have never run into any problems, but... go with what you feel is best for your situation, as always.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Or you could simply install chrome and it is available in a deb (debian file): https://www.google.c...chrome/browser/

You could click on the deb file to install or open a terminal as root and run dpkg -i chrome-blah-blah.deb replacing blah-blah with the correct version.

Yes, this is what I did. Then you have to run apt-get -f install to get the curl pkg in if you don't already have it.

Capt.Crow

Thats a lot of options to choose from . I am both astounded and humbled by your patience and constructive replies . Thank you one and all.

I got some warnings doing synaptic last eve. It appears I have changed the architecture . I took snapshots . But have no idea where they are doh!

I like apt-get .better than Synaptic as I feel more in tune with that . Either way its back to O'reilly for yet another brush up

lol

Thanks again

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

If this outpouring of support has overwhelmed you, Cap'n, just holler. Ask questions; we'll be glad to clarify, explain, extemporize, and even joke around with you a bit. :yes:

No one here claims to be an expert; not even Bruno made that claim about himself, even though we all felt he was most definitely a guru. My point is that while none of us are experts alone, together we are pretty good at resolving folks' issues around here. :)

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Thats a lot of options to choose from . I am both astounded and humbled by your patience and constructive replies . Thank you one and all.

I got some warnings doing synaptic last eve. It appears I have changed the architecture . I took snapshots . But have no idea where they are doh!

I like apt-get .better than Synaptic as I feel more in tune with that . Either way its back to O'reilly for yet another brush up

lol

Thanks again

I also prefer and use apt-get instead of any GUI like Synaptic.

It really helps if you can post any actual error messages exactly as they appear. Then we can give more focussed advice.

"Chrome" has at least 3 possible meanings - the google browser, the graphics driver for via chipsets, and also refers to the display backend of Mozilla applications.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

However, I go to the Google Chrome website and download the appropriate Debian Google Chrome, (not Chromium which is in the repos), as securitybreach noted here:

Or you could simply install chrome and it is available in a deb (debian file): https://www.google.c...chrome/browser/

You could click on the deb file to install or open a terminal as root and run dpkg -i chrome-blah-blah.deb replacing blah-blah with the correct version.

And if you install Google Chrome (not Chromium) you will need to do dpkg to install the version you download, install using dpkg as noted above in securitybreach's quote, then use apt-get install -f to install curl (which will automatically show up and ready to be installed when you do use apt-get install -f .

Pretty sure you may not have needed that much detail, but others might who come by to see the thread. ;)

Edited by LilBambi

I think its all nearly over with this box. Kernel panic ?? Camera showed up it my IT connection file tonight . What with all my blundering I,m getting a lot of mail in the terminal and it just hangs and freezes. etc.

Cant copy and paste across desktops ; so here goes

Component returned failure code 0x80520012

ns error file not found [nsiXPCComponents_utils.import]

location js.frame://chrome://vwof/content/BrowserOverlay.js::anonymous::line20" data no.

Anyone want a little fun I could allow remote access. PM me..

Nuke is messy all round... Prefer WW1 Siegfried treatment . But then it takes pluck to work at close quarters..

Yes LilBambi You are on the money . As I remember I was pulling down a plugin and this got in the way before knew it .

Whats with the red underlines in my replies

securitybreach

Well red underlines usually mean the word is misspelled but since yours are not, I would think that your missing a language plugin.

I write * Dreamweaver* and the word is underlined like a link ???. Plugin is the same .. Addon yep! But it dosn't translate to the posted replies ..

Imadopeyduck . of course its the american spell checker

V.T. Eric Layton

Prefer WW1 Siegfried treatment . But then it takes pluck to work at close quarters..

WWI and WWII static fortress defense by Germany (Siegfried Line), and later France (Maginot), were both eventually shown to be useless in the face of overwhelming offensive forces.

An overwhelming offense will overcome a defense every time. You can't win football games without scoring. ;)

An overwhelming offense will overcome a defense every time. You can't win football games without scoring. ;)

Yet, in the 2014 Super Bowl, Seattle, which led the NFL defensively (allowing only 14.4 points per game), crushed Denver (#1 scoring offense in the NFL), 43-8. A case of solid defense creating opportunities against (what had previously been) an overwhelming offense, perhaps. Or maybe a case of the Broncos' offense not showing up?

Edited by saturnian

Grandad and his buddies left a chain of lakes .They got down and under. So close at times they could hear jerry stirring his coffee . No fall out No collateral. But up close and devastating.

Imma gonna getta sanction for goin off topic

V.T. Eric Layton

Yet, in the 2014 Super Bowl, Seattle, which led the NFL defensively (allowing only 14.4 points per game), crushed Denver (#1 scoring offense in the NFL), 43-8. A case of solid defense creating opportunities against (what had previously been) an overwhelming offense, perhaps. Or maybe a case of the Broncos' offense not showing up?

Seattle may have had the best defense, but the majority of their points on the scoreboard were scored while their defense "rested." ;)

Imma gonna getta sanction for goin off topic

If any sanctions were to be handed out for going off topic, myself, Temmu, and Urmas would have been drummed out of here years ago. :yes:

• Like 1

Seattle may have had the best defense, but the majority of their points on the scoreboard were scored while their defense "rested."

Sorry for getting so far off-topic, but...

Not sure if you recall, but a lot of Seattle's points were set up by the defense. Early on, and already up 5-0 after a safety and a field goal, the Seahawks got another field goal to go up 8-0 after the defense forced Denver into a three-and-out. Next possession, Seattle intercepted Manning and got the ball on the Denver 37, then went in for another score, making it 15-0. Next drive, Manning got picked off again, and this one was returned 69 yards for the TD. 22-0.

2nd half kickoff, 87-yard TD return by Seattle. 29-0.

Later, Seattle cornerback Byron Maxwell knocked the ball out of Denver receiver Demaryius Thomas' hands; Seattle recovered, and went on to score again. 36-0. I think the game was pretty much over at that point, even though there was still a lot of time left on the clock.

This was one of those games where the defense (and special teams) made the plays to turn the game. Also, I think it's true that teams that have returned an interception for a TD in the Super Bowl have never lost the game (12-0). True that you have to score points in football to win games, but sometimes the old saying that "defense wins championships" is also very true.

V.T. Eric Layton

...but sometimes the old saying that "defense wins championships" is also very true.

That was definitely true for the Superbowl that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won in Oakland a few years ago.

I don't follow football anymore; haven't for years. :)

Made a new folder in >home .Its named mozilla.. Have firefox-28.0.tar.bz2 in there and extracted . Lot of files..(used d'n'd)

Now do I open a terminal.

~/firefox/firefox

I'm stumped here.. I never seem to get the cmd line right. to first find the pkg and install it . If I get it right once I will never forget it .

Guest LilBambi

If that is the actual location, you can use it to test. But I always create a shortcut/alias on the desktop when I do the user install since it doesn't do it itself.

Now do I open a terminal.

~/firefox/firefox

You can open the terminal in the folder and run

./firefox

The "./" means in the current folder. Or you should be able to run

~/firefox/firefox

as long as you are logged in as current user.

Or you can just click on the "firefox" executable in your file manager (works with Dolphin in KDE, I can't vouch for lesser DEs :shifty: ;) )

When you confirm that it works, it's easy to make a launcher link on your desktop or somewhere.

Thanks all, :luck: :clap: :luck: I clicked on the gearwheel *firefox* .. now I have FF28. running . But I feel like I cheated as I did not use the terminal and install that way .

Now for the addons . There are so many to choose from .so any info/ideas would be really helpfull..

I should have the launcher somewhere but have not looked yet .