New Balls for the Li'l Christmas Tree

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

The Li'l Christmas Tree has all new balls this year. It's up and all decorated as of just a few minutes ago. Here's a pic...

th_xmas2012-new_balls.jpg

Everyone is getting in the Christmas mood here now that Thanksgiving is waning...

th_anon-xmas2012.jpg

:santa:

Read more about The Li'l Christmas Tree --> https://noctslackv2.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/the-little-christmas-tree/

LED strands (most ones you can buy at the local discount store) are halfwave rectified, so they flicker at 60Hz. Full wave rectified flicker at 120Hz....

My eyes (and my wife's too) are very sensitive to 60Hz flicker. We could not use cheapo LED lights. I may try to find a strand of 120Hz lights and see if I can handle them. if anything, it should be a lot less noticeable.

The third option is either finding 12VDC power LED strands or converting AC LED strands to DC. Decisions, decisions......

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, 60Hz flicker on CRT monitors used to drive me batty. I always had to turn up my vertical freq in settings, if it was available.

V.T. Eric Layton

So who besides Bambi is going to guess how many watts the tree consumes?

Adam

So, what's Fran's guess? I didn't see anything in her post above that looked like a wattage figure.

My guess is 120VAC / 2 amps = 60 watts

Cluttermagnet

I've been looking at all your wonderful Christmas displays, with their low wattage yet high color interest, and it stikes me "these folks have got a lot of balls."

Merry Christmas, y'all...

• Like 1

So, what's Fran's guess? I didn't see anything in her post above that looked like a wattage figure.

My guess is 120VAC / 2 amps = 60 watts

Nope! Assume .45 W per bulb......

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

So, a 1/2 watt per bulb about. And you have how many bulbs on that tree? I'm not going to count them right now... tm;dc. ;) Let's say 200 bulbs just for fun. That would be about 100 watts of power.

V.T. Eric Layton

Dat's a lotta' bulbs! And a 1/2 kilowatt hour to operate. The power company is loving you. Unfortunately, your Christmas cheer is adding to your carbon footprint and increasing global warming.

WE ALL GONNA' DIE because of your Christmas tree! :o

:hysterical: