Spykee the Robot

raymac46

My wife volunteers at a local thrift shop and she brought home a recent donation to see if I could assess if it worked or not. He's called Spykee.

Spykee was originally a Meccano kit so some poor sod had to build him from the ground up. All I got was the robot, the charging base and the charger. So while Spykee was charging up I went on the Internet and downloaded the instruction .pdf and the Windows software you need to control him.

You also need a laptop or desktop with a wifi card. After you get him charged, you turn Spykee on with a switch on the bottom. Then you have to connect in ad-hoc wifi mode to his control circuitry. After installing the software you can log in with the default ID and password. At least you can if you know the password. I had to reset the robot to factory defaults - then I could log in. After this I could roll him around the house with either the mouse or keyboard arrows. There is a webcam on his head so you can see where you're going. He also has a microphone and speaker. You can take photos with him and play MP3s if you want.

If you want to get really fancy you can have him associate with your wifi network through your router. This has the advantage that your laptop is on the LAN once more so you can use the Internet and control the robot at the same time.

I burned the software and instructions on a CD and wrote up a report that Spykee works OK. I think some geeky kid will really have fun with him.

He was working fine so I sent him back to the thrift shop for further action. Hopefully they can sell him to someone with the right skills to use him.