cdrdao driver

FXEF

Can't burn CD with K3b. Gives error that it can not find driver for cdrdao. How do I install driver for cdrdao? I have been to cdrdao homepage but found no drivers or info on installing drivers.Running Knoppix 3.2 hard drive install. Using K3b front end.Need help!Bob ;)

Did you try burning TAO or SAO?DAO is "Disk at Once"TAO is "Track at Once"SAO is "Session at Once"Your drive may or may not support one or all of them.Ans as quint posted already first you have to run K3B setup to configure K3B for burning and set user to be able to burn with K3B.

ZOXMy CD-RW drive is a Samsung SW-240B, it supports DAO, TAO, & SAO. I have run K3b setup and set myself as a user. I get error message that cdrdao can not find driver. According to cdrdao website, I need "generic-mmc" driver. I don't know where to get the driver or how to install it. Ran "cdrecord -scanbus" and it listed my CD-ROM and CD-RW drives. K3b recognizes both drives and starts the process but fails to find driver.Don't know much about Linux, but trying to learn. FXEF

Well, you will need cdrdao than :)Here is their site on Sourceforge cdrdaoBut I would advise you to look up for your own distribution deb file.I have no any experience in Knoppix bu since it is Debian based you should be able to type in your console (apt-get cdrdao) as su (superuser) and it should take care of it for you.That is unless something is different in Knoppix and you have to set it up.There is couple of people here that use Knoppix so they might be able to help you setup your apt-get.Debian has huge repository of all software so I am sure we'll get you going in no time :blink:

Changed cdrdao driver from "auto" to "generic-mmc" in the Settings dialog of K3b. Viola, now can burn CDs with my Linux box. Just had to click the word "auto" then a drop down list of drivers to choose from, how simple. Oh well, some times we try to make Linux hard.FXEF :blink:

Running Knoppix 3.2 hard drive install. Using K3b front end.
Good to see you got everything going.I am installing Knoppix 3.3 to my test system this weekend, so, if you have any more questions should be able to at least look at them.One word of warning. Knoppix is a mix of code from the stable/testing/unstable branches plus special Knoppix enhancements. This means you will have to be a bit carefull about which packages you bring in. This also means that there will be differences between your 3.2 and my 3.3 install which could cause problems in interpretation.In any event, welcome to the forum, and congrats on solving your problem.

You may be interested to know that k3b 0.10.1 was released earlier this week. The site states:

K3b now defaults to the generic-mmc cdrdao driver if the used burner is not listed in cdrdao's driver table. As all modern drives use the generic-mmc driver anyway this is valid and prevents from a lot of newbie problems.
:D Imported a Windows XP created session from this CD-RW disc, written using XP's built-in CD burning tool:k3b.jpg

I had that exact same problem. The problem was that the section where I had to edit did not look editable (is that a word?). Until you click in the area, there isn't a dropdown arrow, button or form-style entry box. How do the developers think we'd find it? I don't consider myself a newbie but it took me a couple of hours to figure out what the heck was going on.On the other hand, I think k3b deserves more than a 0.10 release number! B) How about even a RC designation?