Fix MAMEUI 64 or dump it

Webb

I lost MAME and all of my ROMS in the big hardware crash of '14.

My new rig is a 64 bit Windows 8.1.

I installed MAMEUI 64 on it and prepared for some heavy gaming.

After 2 days of downloading about 20 ROMS from several different sites I got exactly one of them to run. This program is just too picky and reports problems with every ROM, which is a little hard to believe since I got them from several different sites.

I can't see keeping MAMEUI 64 because it's so buggy (BTW, I installed it twice and even tried the latest 32 bit version).

Has anyone gotten an older version to run on this hardware? I'd be glad to revert. I don't see a need for the latest version of software that emulates an 8 bit machine.

Or is there another frontend that won't be so picky?

Have you thought about something like this,

http://pimame.org/

This is the official site of PiPlay, formerly called PiMAME. The pre built Raspberry Pi OS made for gaming and emulation.

Emulated Systems:

• MAME - AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL
  • CPS I / CPS II - Final Burn Alpha
  • Neo Geo - GNGeo
  • Playstation - pcsx-reARMed
  • Genesis - DGen
  • SNES - SNES9x
  • NES - AdvMESS
  • Gameboy - Gearboy
  • Gameboy Advance - GPSP
  • ScummVM
  • Atari 2600 - Stella
  • Cavestory - NXEngine
  • Commodore 64 - VICE

or this,

https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/

This is a MAME Raspberry Pi port based on Franxis MAME4ALL which is itself based on the MAME 0.37b5 emulator by Nicola Salmoria. To see MAME license see the end of this document (chapter 18). It emulates all arcade games supported by original MAME 0.37b5 plus some additional games from newer MAME versions.

This version emulates 2270 different romsets.

or perhaps this

http://www.instructables.com/id/MAME-gaming-table-with-Raspberry-Pi/

Inspired by similar projects online, I've been working with a neighbour to build a pair of coffee-table MAME-based retro gaming tables. The more compact one is mine; the larger with two sets of controls is his. Photos ofboth are used in this instructable.

:clap:

Posted Today, 10:16 AM

http://www.fantasyan...ame.htm#corrupt

Let me explain what sucks about Mame...

If you're ok on the two above possibilities, then that means your arcade ROM is an older dump. Unfortunately, the Mame programmers (as well as other arcade emulator authors) are purists who insist on everything to be perfect. Once someone dumps an arcade game 'better', the Mame authors update the code to support the newer dump, rendering the older dump incompatible. Hence you get the missing files errors. You're not really missing files, that's just another way of saying your arcade ROM is old. The only way to resolve this is to download the arcade ROM from other arcade ROM sites, and cross your fingers and hope it's the newer dump. You could also try downloading an older version of MameUI, but finding out exactly which older version works with your arcade ROM is something you need to find out yourself through trial and error. Yeah, this sucks. But it's something we all have to live with.

Hello,

This is an area I really haven't explored, due to concerns about legality of the ROM ownership, but is there anything which is preventing you from running a 32-bit version of MAME on the computer running Microsoft Windows 8.1 x64?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No, the 32 bit version has the same problem, which lies in the version number, not 32/64 bit.

Here are 20 public domain ROMs hosted on Mame's own site. The ones I have tried don't work.

Edited by Webb