New iPhone Release Date Rumor

bjf123

According to iMore.com, Apple will release the iPhone 5, a new iPad Mini, and a new iPod Nano on September 12. My iPhone 4 is starting to act up a bit and I've still got the original iPad, so I'm ready for both. I'm thinking the new iPhone will be called just that, the new iPhone, and not the iPhone 5, like the new iPad is not called the iPad 3.

Guest LilBambi

I hope they will do a iPhone with the v5 smaller but still there, or something like that. Like they do with Routers with the same names but different versions.

I hope they do the new iPod Touch then too! The iPod Touch gets no love at all the last couple times out. And it's really annoying! ;) I would love to get a new one that will comfortably run iOS 6 and subsequent updates so it lasts longer than my last one. Many of the new versions of my apps will no longer run on my iPod Touch (2nd Generation). I love it but I am stuck in pre - iOS 5 mode in perpetuity sadly.

And what of this possible iPad Mini. They really need another size factor IMHO. Not everyone wants or needs a large 10" tablet like iPad, but the iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for some things.

That will add another app layout requirement for apps to be coded for. Scaling iPad apps down will not work because UI elements will be too small to interact with.

I don't think developers would complain too much, but I know some will.

Adam

If they have converted to vector images, it will be much less work in the long run to go to another template size I would think.

It is not just vector images. Text needs to be scaled, and if the aspect ratio changes, then the developer may want to change the layout entirely. Some apps may go through some serious changes. If the "taller" iPhone 5 comes out this September, than the landscape view is going to be an issue for many. Otherwise, the aps may end up looking like garbage, and that is something Apple does not want to happen.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

It is not just vector images. Text needs to be scaled, and if the aspect ratio changes, then the developer may want to change the layout entirely. Some apps may go through some serious changes. If the "taller" iPhone 5 comes out this September, than the landscape view is going to be an issue for many. Otherwise, the aps may end up looking like garbage, and that is something Apple does not want to happen.

Adam

Like websites, they use templates for these types of things these days. Takes time, but not as hard as starting from scratch.