• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

I have noticed from time to time that the Google ad server sometimes makes pages take a long time to report being loaded. Most of the page is loaded, but it still keeps trying to finish. This is an intermittent problem, having nothing to do with our site, that's totally on Google's end of things. Does this sound like the performance problems people are having? Or is it something different?Also, everyone, SNF will be upgrading to a new version of the forum software in the near future. Not sure when, exactly, but within a week or so.-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Editor in Chief, Computerworld; Figure Head, Scot's Newsletter

#27 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

Sounds very familiar to me, the page loads for say 99 percent and all is visible, but the last 1 percent to load takes a great bunch of time. First I thought it was due to some member avatars not stored on the server (i.e. hosted at imageshack) but that was not the actual culprit. Especially tonight it's slow (I'm in Europe).
Striker
still the same...

#28 OFFLINE   muckshifter

muckshifter

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

Wow, a direct responce form himself ... :D Sorry to say Scot but no ... I see the "loading google ad thing" and nothing on the screen until it's finished, can take 45sec ... it does not occure that often.It is the only slowdown I experence ... UK based, Linux & FF. :)

#29 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

So, I'm curious, what's the general feeling now? Are the forums slow, is it an intermittent thing? Are some of you having the problem all the time?-- Scot

#30 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

Still Version 1.0 beta

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

I've noticed a number of sites that have problems fully loading thanks to AdSense.  But I haven't been aware of it here.I have seen that opening a page full of graphics hosted on a variety of other servers will often delay its loading.  But that, too, is common to other sites and is only to be expected.Still, we appreciate being advised when members do experience problems of any kind.

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiot
(Douglas Adams)

Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal

#31 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

As I emailed Scot earlier today, the forum went missing for me for about a minute earlier today. Came right back and has been fine since.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#32 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:35 AM

View PostScot, on Jan 19 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

So, I'm curious, what's the general feeling now? Are the forums slow, is it an intermittent thing? Are some of you having the problem all the time?-- Scot
I log onto the forum several times a day and often at night. It is slow at all different times and page redraws sometime take up to 30 seconds or more. This does not happen all of the time. I have also noticed that if 2 or more people are viewing or posting on the same thread that it can take minutes. It seems to be worse at different times. Have not been able to establish a distict pattern.Mel :blink:
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#33 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:57 AM

Right now it is working very well and fast But it is also 10:57 PM MST Arizona USA.Mel :blink:
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#34 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

The control panel from my webhost shows that "server load" is very high, at least this AM. I have entered a trouble ticket. Unfortunately, the result could mean that we will be moved to another server. Usually when that happens we have both downtime and issues afterward. It would be the fourth time we've been moved in a year. -- Scot

#35 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Been working well since the upgrade here. <_<
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#36 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:02 AM

Unable to post without timing out 11 PM PST.

#37 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

There seems to be some missing data? Posts and such--Gone??

#38 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Same thing with me but I just came from another forum and they are experiencing the same phenomenon there also.
registered linux user #374889

#39 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

View PostGary, on Jan 26 2006, 01:16 PM, said:

There seems to be some missing data? Posts and such--Gone??
Just dropped in for my daily "three words that make (no) sense" and find some missing!Took ages for this to open too.Bushfires surrounding us, maybe it's the heat! B)

#40 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:40 AM

Scot told the Admins and Mods that we may lose at least a day of postings because of a catastrophic hardware failure at the hosting provider's end. It looks like we lost 3 days of postings.

Edited by Peachy, 26 January 2006 - 01:42 AM.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#41 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:21 AM

Where are the backups?I could not access the site for nearly a day.

#42 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

Still Version 1.0 beta

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:52 AM

They claim to do nightly backups.  I guess we'll see.Come on, you guys still remember what you've posted in the last 3 days, don't you?  Just repost it all.  B)

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiot
(Douglas Adams)

Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal

#43 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:26 AM

Come on, you guys still remember what you've posted in the last 3 days, don't you? Just repost it all
I tried but it seems to be all tangled up see:

adjfkaufona  ajfioa fal fafpa ld alfvad;ajfoia  akljladk kdfjao adjkf abnal;cofeckl ;2uieiu asdja;sduioarj jakuvlakn ljfaup al      akdjafj;dfj afakd fodfjgjthor haeho gjlajri eja
Seriously though glad to see the forum back up  B)  had me worried there for a bit.
Registered Linux User #554733

#44 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:15 AM

The forums I host and run do hourly differential backups with nightly ones as well as a weekly one taken off site. The hourly differentials not only get saved, verified and logged but encrypted, compressed and then FTPed to 3 other servers in 3 different states. A tad anal but we don't "loose" data.

Edited by Marsden11, 26 January 2006 - 04:17 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:58 AM

Dang !  I miss more than 30 posts ...  B) I've got a good memory but it's not DDR2 !  B)
Striker
still the same...

#46 OFFLINE   muckshifter

muckshifter

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

We're back ... B) Crap happens ... it is built-in to a computers nature to screw up. B) Now quit moaning and get back to play ... :)

#47 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

who's moaning ? B)
Striker
still the same...

#48 OFFLINE   muckshifter

muckshifter

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:15 AM

View Poststriker, on Jan 26 2006, 10:13 AM, said:

who's moaning ? B)
I was ... B)

#49 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

Sorry, folks, we did lose two days of data due to a catastrophic hardware failure. My webhost is very apologetic, for whatever it's worth (not much).-- Scot

#50 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:45 AM

I'm sure they did all what was within their powers to resurrect the forums. We'll get over it. B)  Let's just say "we have a new lift off" and go from here. B)
Striker
still the same...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users