OS X, UNIX, Linux, BSD, Mach

Lover of quiet computers

Lover of quiet computers
  • On their site, Apple said OS X is based on UNIX.
  • A friend of mine says OS X is based on Linux.
  • I just read an article which says OS X uses a CMU Mach 3.0 kernel, which apparently is its own "thing," apart from Linux or UNIX.

I'm confused. On what is OS X really based? And if Linux does not contain UNIX code, which SCO alleges, then what is its real relationship with UNIX? Also, please tell me about BSD's and Mach's relationship to UNIX and Linux.Somehow, I get the feeling I'll never get straight answers on this. :)

From what i understand, OS X is based on Darwin, which is a BSD 'distro'.But i do realise that apple does claim it's UNIX, so i'm guessing there is UNIX code somewhere in OS X.

Ok. This isn't intended to confuse you more, but:"Mac OS X is 'UNIX-based'""Mac OS X offers a unique combination of technical elements to the discerning geek, such as the fine-grained multithreading of the Mach 3.0 kernel...""All of the standard UNIX utilities and scripting languages are included in Mac OS X...""Panther integrates features from state-of-the-art FreeBSD 5 into Darwin""Darwin [is Apple's] Open Source base [for] Mac OS X""Darwin, an open source UNIX-based foundation [is] built on technologies such as FreeBSD, Mach, Apache, and GCC. Darwin provides a complete UNIX environment, with XII and POSIX services comparable to Linux or FreeBSD, including familiar kernel, libraries, networking and command-line utilities."Check out these pages (sources of above quotes) for more info::) Apple: UNIX:) Apple: Darwin:) Apple: X11B) Apple: Darwin - Open Source

Edited by Arena2045

nlinecomputers

I would think Apple would know from whom it own code comes from. OS X is based on Darwin a variant of BSD made by Apple. http://developer.apple.com/darwin/Linux's relationship with UNIX is that it is a UNIX clone. It is a complete rewrite of the core(the kernel) of UNIX from scratch. When you speak of Linux your only really refering to the kernel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computers) All the applications run on top of this kernel. The applications have to be compliled to run on the Kernel. For example it is possible run GNU/Emacs on Linux, BSD,OS X, even Windows but the program must be recompiled for each OS. Mach like LINUX is just another kernel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_kernelFor more on OS X and all in components see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

Guest LilBambi

Yep, and BTW, BSD, which OS X is based on is a true UNIX variant.Unlike Linux which is UNIX-like/UNIX compatible, and created from scratch apart of UNIX.

Yep, and BTW, BSD, which OS X is based on is a true UNIX variant.Unlike Linux which is UNIX-like/UNIX compatible, and created from scratch apart of UNIX.
That part has sort of always confused me. BSD doesn't have actual UNIX code right? So how is it a true UNIX? Does that just mean that it's more UNIX like in the way it acts and opererates? :)

nlinecomputers

BSD is UNIX. They share some code, legally, as BSD was created when the Bell Labs gave rights to Berkley to help develop UNIX. Unlike LINUX or GNU this BSD isn't a clone. It is a fork of the orignal code.

Lover of quiet computers
Unlike Linux which is UNIX-like/UNIX compatible, and created from scratch apart of UNIX.
What does one mean when one says Linux is UNIX-compatible? Does it just mean they can run the same applications?

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Linux is UNIX compatible ... it is based on the C programming language and was built to be able to run UNIX code.Most anything UNIX can be ported to Linux and vice versa.

nlinecomputers

If you have the source code you can compile UNIX programs to run on Linux. I have one client that was running an old SCO system 7 box to drive still older dumb green terminals. The system was dying and the programer was long gone. But in a folder on the drive was the source code. So we replaced it with a Linux box and 3 Linux workstations that simply boot to the CLI and then telnet into the server. Recomplile the code on the Linux box and we are back in business with a much faster system running the same program that they been running for about 8years.

BSD is UNIX. They share some code, legally, as BSD was created when the Bell Labs gave rights to Berkley to help develop UNIX. Unlike LINUX or GNU this BSD isn't a clone. It is a fork of the orignal code.
Ohhh, i see. Thanks.
This O'Reilly article might help with that SonicDragon:Twenty Years of Berkeley Unix
Thanks for the link. I'm actually reading that book right now. I just started, so i hadn't made it to that chapter yet :'(

Lover of quiet computers

Thanks for all the information. I've compiled it into a text document, wherefrom I'm going to try to digest it. I don't know why I find it so difficult. :blink: