suggestion for an old machine

réjean

Hi all! I got this message from a friend;

need a workaround for an old dell 3200 which refuses to boot usb drives...optical drive doesn't recognize DVDRW's..hoping it will with R's when I get one..

He has Ubuntu on another machine so I am thinking of a iso that could be burnt on a CD. I do have tons of old distros I could give him. What would be a good one?

Since I posted I received the following;

thanx...but I will try a DVDR...some at Cape North...

lots of events in this..for brothers pc at first..np installing..but machine has no memory..so wanted to do on old workhorse...which then I had to replace CMOS BATTERY TWICE..HELPS TO TAKE STICKER OFF FIRST

Edited by réjean

Anti-X, derived from Mepis/Debian specifically for old machines that won't boot modern distros.

Fits on a CD-R.

Your machine probably doesn't have a DVD-RW, maybe a DVD-ROM if you are lucky.

Should boot from a CD-R.

• Like 1

If it will boot from a CD-R, you could use an openSuSE network install, which when I installed 13.1 on an 11-year-old Dell only required an iso burned to the cd to start the install--all software is downloaded from SuSE's servers. You'd have to use xfce or ice wm on an old machine, but either works fine on my old Dell.

• Like 2

Good suggestion both. It sounds his DVD player seems to be working on and off so a net install would be better no doubt. I'll see what he has to say tomorrow.

• Like 1

MX-14 would also be a good choice if it boots from CD. 696MB.

I have seen a problem on several very old computers where MX-14 (and pretty much every other modern distro) would not boot. I will try to remember the message. It was definitely some aspect of the pre-loader or OS is not supported on the hardware.

securitybreach

Here is a nice list of distros for older machines:

http://distrowatch.c...y=Old Computers

This one sounds fun

Tiny Core Linux is a 12 MB graphical Linux desktop. It is based on a recent Linux kernel, BusyBox, Tiny X, Fltk, and Flwm. The core runs entirely in memory and boots very quickly. The user has complete control over which applications and/or additional hardware to have supported, be it for a desktop, a nettop, an appliance or server; selectable from the project's online repository

http://distrowatch.com/tinycore

• Like 1

Sounds like he needs the Plop Boot Manager ...http://www.plop.at/e...r/download.html

It is a small ISO that you burn to a CD and when you boot from it, it magically makes the computer be able to boot from the USB.

If you are talking about the Dell with the Athlon 64 3200+, it should run most Linux distros ok if you can get a little extra RAM.

I would recommend MX-14, just because I'm a huge Xfce fan and it works great on everything I've tried it on. Or SolydX, another good distro with Xfce.

If he can change the battery, :D he should be able to blow the dust bunnies out and put a stick of RAM in.

I had to replace CMOS BATTERY TWICE..HELPS TO TAKE STICKER OFF FIRST

I always pop the battery out first, and then go, Which side was the top?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I'll pass your suggestions along and hope he can get is machine (or his brother's) working. I'll definitely try Tiny Core this evening. It looks very cool.

• Like 1