Drake 10.1 RC 1 and nVidia 3D drivers

Bruno

NOTE: Revised tip here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=106744There is a problem getting the nVidia drivers to work in Mandrake RC1, sometimes they do work directly after the install but upon reboot they fail . . I suspect this is because the kernel is 2.6.8.1-8mdksmp and the source is 2.6.8.1-8mdk, but whatever the cause is . . . there is a solution, mine works okay now.So here is the hack:IMPORTANT: This howto supposes you did the install and config according to Tip nVidia Drivers already and you have kernel-source "linux-2.6.8.1-8mdk" in /usr/src and drivers "VIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run" in your /home.Download this "pm.h" file to your /home: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/attachment.cgi?...964&action=viewThen copy that pm.h file to the kernel-source:

# cp  /home/??????/pm.h  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/pm.h

Now first uninstall the previously installed driver:

# nvidia-installer  --uninstall

Then run the installer again ( now with additional argument ):

# sh  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run  --kernel-name="2.6.8.1-8mdksmp"

( Ignore the errors about the RIVA module and the warning that it may not work. ;) )Then we make a little script:

# vi  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia

This is the text in script:===================#!/bin/bashmodprobe nvidia===================Save the file, make the script executable, and link it to start at the right time and in the right runlevel:

#  chmod  755  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia# ln  -s  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S60nvidia

Then we add a line to /etc/modules.conf:

# echo "alias char-major-195 nvidia" >> /etc/modules.conf

Reboot and now it should work ;)B) BrunoPS: Maybe there are a few steps that are not really needed, but this is how I got it working and I can not check what steps you maybe could skip . . . . the pm.h file comes from cooker . . but that allone ( + reinstall the drivers ) did not do the trick so I improvised the script and found that the /etc/modules.conf missed an alais line.

Hi QuintIf you follow the above I am sure it will work for you . . . On cooker they are still debating if it is the kernel or not . . . on the Nvidia forum they think it is a bug in the lasted driver:

Subject: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fixThe NVIDIA Linux Discussion forum has a patch that works with 2.6.9-rc1-mm3
( From http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/9/3/401 )But whatever the debate is Quint . . . . get hacking and fix it !! ;) :DB) Bruno

LOL . . . Quint, always good for a picture !! :( :DAnyway, keep us posted ! I'd like to know if it works for you too. ( an additional hint: "lsmod" can show you if the nvidia module is loaded or not ):P Bruno

Why is Drake using an smp kernel?
Hi Nathan . . this is a bug in the RC1 .:whistling: . . and I already noticed on cooker that they did fix it first thing, but too late for this RC B) . . . but I am sure it will not be in RC2 . . . . .( well, that is what we hope ;) ) B) Bruno

nlinecomputers
Those of us with HT processors use the SMP kernel!  It works great.  Finds it by default.
I figured that but I assumed that something was causing drake to select SMP kernels for non multiprocessor/HT machines. THAT would cause serious problems would it not?

That is correct Nathan . . . here are a few quotes from cooker:

My laptop computer has the CPU of Pentium 4 mobile 1.7G, which doesn't support Intel HT technology. But Mandrakelinux's installer thinks that my CPU supports HT, so the installer uses kernel-SMP instead of the common kernel. This makes my system very slow.This bug doesn't exist in MDK 10.1 beta1 and beta2.
Same thing for me.kernel-smp-2.6.8.1.8mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm is install by 10.1 rc1 on my athlon XP. 
I'm unable to boot whith this kernel. Uncompacting the kernel freeze everything.
:whistling: Bruno

Here is a more simple solution that was posted on Cooker ( and quoted from the Nvidia-forum )

Hi, from a thread on nvidia site:[...]You'll need to extract the .run installer with --extract-only, then change to the newly created directory and edit usr/src/nv/nv.c; replacing PM_SAVE_STATE with PM_SUSPEND_MEM you can then install the driver with ./nvidia-installer in the same directory[...]
NOTE: I have not tested this myself . . ( because my Nvidia drivers are working already with the hack I constructed myself ) . . but on cooker the above is reported to work.:o Bruno

Revised Nvidia how-to-fix for the 2.6.8 kernelThere are not yet fixed Nvidia drivers available yet, Nvidia has to fix this bug before it works without your intervention. Untill then you can follow this how-to:Download the driver http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp ( and of course the matching kernel source in the MCC ) and do:

# sh  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --extract-only

This will make a directory called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1", in that directory go to "usr/src/nv/nv.c" and near the end of that file replace "PM_SAVE_STATE" with "PM_SUSPEND_MEM" ( you have to do that as root )Then exit the GUI ( init 3 ) and cd to the newly created "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1" directory and run "./nvidia-installer"When the installer runs say "NO" when it suggests to get a kernel from Nvidia.com ( you have downloaded your own kernel source haven't you ? ) and ignore the "RIVA-error" messages.Now, once installed you can use XFdrake to let it edit the xorg.conf file ( easier then editing it yourself;) ) once that is done you can "startx" and you will see the Nvidia splash screen . . . BUT we are not there yet:Open the file /etc/modules.preload ( as root ) and add one line:

nvidia
Now you can safely reboot and the drivers will start at the reboot.:thumbsdown: Bruno

• 2 weeks later...
securitybreach
Revised Nvidia how-to-fix for the 2.6.8 kernelThere are not yet fixed Nvidia drivers available yet, Nvidia has to fix this bug before it works without your intervention. Untill then you can follow this how-to:Download the driver http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp ( and of course the matching kernel source in the MCC )  and do:
# sh  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --extract-only

This will make a directory called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1", in that directory go to "usr/src/nv/nv.c" and near the end of that file replace "PM_SAVE_STATE" with "PM_SUSPEND_MEM" ( you have to do that as root )Then exit the GUI ( init 3 ) and cd to the newly created "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1" directory and run "./nvidia-installer"When the installer runs say "NO" when it suggests to get a kernel from Nvidia.com ( you have downloaded your own kernel source haven't you ? ) and ignore the "RIVA-error" messages.Now, once installed you can use XFdrake to let it edit the xorg.conf file ( easier then editing it yourself;) ) once that is done you can "startx" and you will see the Nvidia splash screen . . . BUT we are not there yet, we still have to make a script to stat the module at next reboot:

vi  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia

and this is the script: Save the file, make the script executable, and link it to start at the right time and in the right runlevel:

# chmod  755  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia# ln  -s  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S60nvidia# echo "alias char-major-195 nvidia" >> /etc/modules.conf

( In the last command we added a line to modules.conf :unsure: )Now you can safely reboot and the drivers will start at the reboot.:) Bruno

when I do sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --extract-only as root nothing happens

securitybreach

QUOTE: Download the driver http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp ( and of course the matching kernel source in the MCC ) Where do I get the kernel source in the MCC. When I search for kernel-source. There is the kernel-source but not the NVIDIA-kernel-source. I also didnt see the splash screen when I init5.

There is no Nvidia kernel source . . but just the regular 2.6.8-10 source will do . . as long as it matches the "uname -r" output in the console.You only see the splash after a successful install and edit of the xorg.conf file.:unsure: Bruno

• 3 weeks later...
securitybreach

I hope this isnt redundant. This is the way I got it working. I tried the other method before with no luck.1. Install kernel-source with this command (all commands are as root in a console window):urpmi kernel-source-2.6(pick the 2.6.8.1 kernel source)2. Make the driver file executable:chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run3. Extract the kernel driver, so we can edit the code:./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run -x4. Go into the directory:cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg15. Edit the file usr/src/nv/nv.c (under your curent directory) and replace the text PM_SAVE_STATE with PM_SUSPEND_MEM. (In the current driver, this is only on line 3697).6. If you are in GUI mode ... shift to console mode with this command:init 3(login as root, and go back into the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1 directory)7. Install the driver with the command:./nvidia-installer8.Startx, then edit /etc/modprobe.preload and add the following entry (at the bottom of the file):nvidia9. Now edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replace nv with nvidia and add load "glx" to the Section "Module" section of the file.10. Load the nvidia module:modprobe nvidia(in some cases, you may need to load agpgart first with the command modprobe agpgart)11. Then reboot

8.Startx, then edit /etc/modprobe.preload and add the following entry (at the bottom of the file):nvidia
This is indeed better ! I alwas forget about that file that is new since kernel 2.6 . . . . good stuff Breach !:( Bruno