BiOS won't recognize boot disk, but it should

jeffw_00

Hi - this is my wife's WIN7 White-box business PC. i7 with Asus B85M motherboard. Runs flawlessly, except it's recently picked up an annoying problem. The boot disk won't appear in any of the options for booting in the BiOS. Using BootitNG I can see that the boot disk is "Bootable" and Active. the auxiliary disk also shows up as "bootable" but not active, and BootitNG mentions that it may not boot WinNt properly. When I boot, I get the "booting windows" screen for several minutes, and then it boots fine. It doesn't matter if it just let it boot, or specifically select the proper boot disk - still takes minutes to come up, and the boot disk doesn't appear as a selection in any bios menus.

So how do I get the Bios to recognize the bootdisk (a recent vintage 2TB WD disk) as a boot disk?

Thanks VERY Much

/j

Edited by jeffw_00

Oh sorry - it doesn't show up in any boot selection menus. it shows up two places

1) there's a "SATA Info" menu - and it's clearly listed there along with the 2nd drive and the DVD-ROm.

2) in the boot -menu- it appears as an option.

I just can't -configure- it to be the boot drive as I don't get that option - really weird

Edited by jeffw_00

so as it turned out - it was a windows issue. IaStora was taking 5 minutes on boot (as observed in the System Event Log). Since this is for raid, I uninstalled the Intel Rapid Storage application and not only did the boot problem go away, but the Bios identified the boot drive properly.

Thanks

/j

• Like 3