Validity check failed -- AUR package install.

abarbarian

Securitybreach recently posted an excellent guide showing the steps you can take to solve a "Validating source files with md5sums FAILED".

See post 14 at the link below,

Validity check failed

The guide IMHO deserves a place in the Bruno's Classroom section. thumbsup.gif

Edited by abarbarian

Still on the subject of valididty checks. On the Arch page

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg.conf

there is a tip

"Here is a very handy script that will generate new checksums for updated files and replace them inside the PKGBUILD in one step."

#!/bin/bash

# Script by Falconindy

# https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131666

awk -v newsums="$(makepkg -g)" '

BEGIN {

if (!newsums) exit 1

}

/^[[:blank:]]*(md|sha)[[:digit:]]+sums=/,/\)[[:blank:]]*$/ {

if (!i) print newsums; i++

next

}

' PKGBUILD > PKGBUILD.new && mv PKGBUILD{.new,}

I'm a bit puzzled as to how to use this :"> do I just copy and paste it into the PKGBUILD ?

B)

securitybreach
Still on the subject of valididty checks. On the Arch page

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg.conf

there is a tip

"Here is a very handy script that will generate new checksums for updated files and replace them inside the PKGBUILD in one step."

I'm a bit puzzled as to how to use this :" border="0" alt="blushing.gif" /> do I just copy and paste it into the PKGBUILD ?

B)

No, this script generates a new chechsum and adds it to the bottom of the PKGBUILD. I would save the script as validation.fix and then make it executable:

chmod +x validation.fix

Then to launch it:

./validation.fix

As far as adding it to Bruno's Classroom, the problem is that the method is not always the same as the locations inside the PKGBUILD differ. Once you understand how it works, you can easily modify it to suite your needs. This issue is a rare occurrence that only happens in a great while and only because the package maintainer did not correctly update his/her PKGBUILD.

So I would create an empty file and copy and paste the script into it and call it "validation.fix" and and then make it executable and store it somwhere.

Then following your guide instead of manually changing md5sums I could run the script.

I would not need to have the script in the directory I was working in?

:hysterical: This issue is a rare occurrence that only happens in a great while :hysterical:

Normaly I guess. Not if you are trying to install Windowmaker Dock Apps from AUR. Never seen so many failures and orphans since I was at school :teehee:

securitybreach
So I would create an empty file and copy and paste the script into it and call it "validation.fix" and and then make it executable and store it somwhere.

Then following your guide instead of manually changing md5sums I could run the script.

I would not need to have the script in the directory I was working in?

Actually that script would make it harder to fix the validation as you have to download the tarball from the AUR page, extract it, copy the script to the directory, run the script, run makepkg as root and then install as root (pacman -U filename.tar.xz.gz). It is much easier to just md5sum the source file as yaourt asks if you want to edit the PKGBUILD anyway.

:hysterical: This issue is a rare occurrence that only happens in a great while :hysterical:

Normaly I guess. Not if you are trying to install Windowmaker Dock Apps from AUR. Never seen so many failures and orphans since I was at school :teehee:

That is because the package maintainers have not updated the packages for the new version of WM as the development had stopped a few years ago before they started it back up. So in other words, the packages do not work as they are not built against the new version of WindowMaker.

So your way of md5sum is much better really :thumbsup:

I knew that about the Dock apps as I have spent most of the day trying out a lot of them. So far I have one that looks like a lava lamp on acid, one that dose the same as top which is neat, a nice net monitor and a wireless one that looks like it will work but I do not have wifi set up yet and a cpu monitor that works. Loads of total failures and several that failed the validation check that I am going to see if I can get working. Also one quite important one for me that I have half finished hacking just have to rebuild it and test.

With me hack as I have changed the files in the build. Can I host the new .tar.gz on me dropbox and change the source http addy to point to it and rebuild and install ?? B)

securitybreach
With me hack as I have changed the files in the build. Can I host the new .tar.gz on me dropbox and change the source http addy to point to it and rebuild and install ?? B)

Theoretically, it should be possible but I am not positive.

I do know what you mean about the docks, that is one of the reasons I stopped playing around with it. Back when I first tried it years ago on Slackware, there were a ton of dockapps available and all you had to do was extract them to the correct directory.