Have Questions about VM's

mhbell

pacman-mirrors -g works just fine in Manjaro.

That is only an alias for rankmirrors: https://wiki.manjaro...date_Mirrorlist

Have a look at my Manjaro hardware report.

Is that what they refer to it as or is that just your wording for the output of inxi on Manjaro?

1. It works whatever you want to call it.

2. Yes my term for it. Call it inxi if you want. Same difference as far as I am concerned.

Edited by raymac46

can't download the updates now because of the following error. there are 163 updates.

now I get a error.

could not satisfy dependencies Lib32- glu installing mhwd breaks lib32-libgl

https://www.reddit.c...ncies_issue_on/

This has nothing to do with VBox and could be an issue on the rails as well. It's a Manjaro thing.

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach

pacman-mirrors -g works just fine in Manjaro.

That is only an alias for rankmirrors: https://wiki.manjaro...date_Mirrorlist

Have a look at my Manjaro hardware report.

Is that what they refer to it as or is that just your wording for the output of inxi on Manjaro?

Call it inxi if you want. Same difference as far as I am concerned.

I only asked because inxi came out about 7 years before Manjaro. I brought that up is because Manjaro has been caught labeling something as their own and was called out for it in the past for it.

can't download the updates now because of the following error. there are 163 updates.

now I get a error.

This has nothing to do with VBox and could be an issue on the rails as well. It's a Manjaro thing.

Ray I want to thank you and the other members, for all your time and trouble. I am sorry, but Manjaro until it is more mature, will not be a distro for me. to many problems and there are other distros that work with very few problems. I did the fix as per reddit, but there were still other problems and dependencies needed. This is a Distro to much like Arch with all its problems. Linux distros should be fun and work pretty much right out of the box and not be a chore to get to work correctly. I guess I will just try to stick with Debian / Ubuntu type distros for now. Anyway thanks to all for your help.

Mel

securitybreach

now I get a error.

Ray I want to thank you and the other members, for all your time and trouble. I am sorry, but Manjaro until it is more mature, will not be a distro for me. to many problems and there are other distros that work with very few problems. I did the fix as per reddit, but there were still other problems and dependencies needed. This is a Distro to much like Arch with all its problems. Linux distros should be fun and work pretty much right out of the box and not be a chore to get to work correctly. I guess I will just try to stick with Debian / Ubuntu type distros for now. Anyway thanks to all for your help.

Mel

Well honestly you will not see many of the issues with Manjaro on Archlinux. The reason for this is because Manjaro holds back packages and on a rolling distro, doing this can and will cause issues with versioning/compatibility with other packages. So do not get the wrong idea about archlinux based on a derivative with too many changes. That is like blaming Debian for Ubuntu's failures.

Josh is right. Arch can be set up as simply as you want or as complex as you want. Manjaro has a bunch of special tools that sometimes give problems - like mhwd. I haven't had any difficulties lately but I don't use it in any other way but as a Virtual Machine. I wouldn't put it on anything I wanted to use say on vacation.

A good candidate for VBox is MX-16 - nice desktop and Guest Additions work. Lubuntu is another. Linux Mint Xfce is another.

• Like 1

Josh is right. Arch can be set up as simply as you want or as complex as you want. Manjaro has a bunch of special tools that sometimes give problems - like mhwd. I haven't had any difficulties lately but I don't use it in any other way but as a Virtual Machine. I wouldn't put it on anything I wanted to use say on vacation.

A good candidate for VBox is MX-16 - nice desktop and Guest Additions work. Lubuntu is another. Linux Mint Xfce is another.

OK I will agree, it is not Arch fault. I have Lubutu, and Fedora both running in a VM without problems. I also have a VM in windows 10 and some surprises which I will leave for another post.

Mel

• Like 2

I like Siduction very much in VM but unfortunately their last release had a bug where they removed the Guest Additions if you installed it. It worked fine as a Live image.

Well honestly you will not see many of the issues with Manjaro on Archlinux. The reason for this is because Manjaro holds back packages and on a rolling distro, doing this can and will cause issues with versioning/compatibility with other packages. So do not get the wrong idea about archlinux based on a derivative with too many changes. That is like blaming Debian for Ubuntu's failures.

Exactly. I've been running Antergos, which is a lot closer to Arch than Manjaro is, but still not quite the same thing as what I'm seeing in my Arch installation.

This is a great thread. Mostly, though, it's made me realize that I have no need to mess around with VMs at this time.

Also, no Windows here, which I'm happy about.

• Like 1

Screenshot%20from%202017-04-23%2015-54-35_zpstphf9ovh.png

Haven't lost my touch I guess. I did an Arch install in VBox on Linux Mint 18.1 This is what I have so far. Installed gdm so I have GNOME and also Xfce.

• Like 2

ArchXFCE_zpspbmf7iqq.jpg

I decided I'd rather have my Arch VM hosted on Windows 10 so I reinstalled it. I think I did a better job this time. I used LightDM as my display manager and have only installed Xfce. I have sound working and got the browsers, Abiword and Gnumeric and VLC installed.

If you're interested in fooling around with VMs it's really worth it to install Arch.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

At work I just built a new cluster consisting of 5 Dell R630 servers running VMware vSphere Hypervisor managed using vCenter Server. The cluster pool has a total of 160 vCPUs and 1.25TB of memory and I have 24TB of iSCSI storage available to it over a 10GB Ethernet fabric. I should be able to virtualize 1,000+ virtual machines! :devil: :devil: :devil:

• Like 1

securitybreach

At work I just built a new cluster consisting of 5 Dell R630 servers running VMware vSphere Hypervisor managed using vCenter Server. The cluster pool has a total of 160 vCPUs and 1.25TB of memory and I have 24TB of iSCSI storage available to it over a 10GB Ethernet fabric. I should be able to virtualize 1,000+ virtual machines! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Very nice!! I need something like that at home.... B)