Install software

irvdk

I installed Vector Linux as my first running installation. What I wanted to know is how do you install a ".tar.gz" file that you downloaded from the internet? I downloaded the Flash Player 7 and I can see it but can't figure out how to install it.Thanks Irv

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irvdk

• Bruno

• Urmas

• burninbush

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi IvrYou unpack the tar.gz with

$ tar -xvzf package_name.tar.gz

Next you look in the new directory it created and find the "README" file and you can read how to go about the install :thumbsup: ( NOTE: The install of flash is pretty simple, just read the instructions in the README or INSTALL file ):thumbsup: Bruno

Hi IvrYou unpack the tar.gz with
$ tar -xvzf package_name.tar.gz

Next you look in the new directory it created and find the "README" file and you can read how to go about the install ;) ( NOTE: The install of flash is pretty simple, just read the instructions in the README or INSTALL file ):D Bruno

Hi Bruno, :) I followed your instructions and unpacked it to home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux.I opened the terminal window and typed the following:install_flash_player_7_linux flashplayer-installer/install_flash_player_7_linux flashplayer-installer/install_flash_player_7_linux/ flashplayer-installer/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer-installer/home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer-installerThey all come back "No such file or directory"What am I doing wrong. Edited by irvdk

securitybreach
 $ cd install_flash_player_7_linux$ ./flashplayer-installer

ThanksThe executable is in flashplayer-installer directory, if I remeber correctly.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

$ cd install_flash_player_7_linux$ ./flashplayer-installer

ThanksThe executable is in flashplayer-installer directory, if I remeber correctly.Thanks

OK got it.Now it says: irv@vector:$ ./flashplayer-installer./flashplayer-installer: line 76: [: 9): integer expression expectedERROR: Your glibc library is older than 2.2. Please update your glibc library.Now I'm really lost.... :hmm:

/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer-installerThey all come back "No such file or directory"What am I doing wrong.
Irv, a low-level fact about linux -- it doesn't 'see' files in the current directory unless that directory is listed in the path! So, the way around this is to give the command shell specific instruction re how to find the executable ... preface the name with a ./ which says to linux "here". #./flash-installerAnd then you'll have to tell it where to find your mozilla install. Think this is usually in /usr/bin/. Actually, if you read the instructions, you could just as easily do it manually -- just involves copying a file from the tgz file to one of your subdirectories. I tend to just surf to some site like www.aol.com, where it will notice the flash player is missing, and offer to install it automatically -- works out the same, except you only have to click on the button once.

Irv, a low-level fact about linux -- it doesn't 'see' files in the current directory unless that directory is listed in the path! So, the way around this is to give the command shell specific instruction re how to find the executable ... preface the name with a ./ which says to linux "here". #./flash-installerAnd then you'll have to tell it where to find your mozilla install. Think this is usually in /usr/bin/. Actually, if you read the instructions, you could just as easily do it manually -- just involves copying a file from the tgz file to one of your subdirectories. I tend to just surf to some site like www.aol.com, where it will notice the flash player is missing, and offer to install it automatically -- works out the same, except you only have to click on the button once.
Ok, but you don't learn anything that way. I am really new to this as I have been using windows for the last 10years. Seems nothing makes an sense to me. It's maybe over my head. ;) Edited by irvdk

Hoooo . . STOP . . . Irv . . . Here is from the README:

To manually install the Plug-in Player for Linux, follow these directions: - Copy the following files to your browser's plugins folder: libflashplayer.so flashplayer.xpt
Now here is what you do . . . . Please first show me first:
# ls -al install_flash_player_7_linux# ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

;) Bruno

Ok, but you don't learn anything that way. I am really new to this as I have been using windows for the last 10years. Seems nothing makes an sense to me. It's maybe over my head. ;)
irv@vector:$ ls -al install_flash_player_7_linux/usr/bin/ls: install_flash_player_7_linux: No such file or directoryirv@vector:$ ls -al /usr/lib/moxilla/plugins/usr/bin/ls: /usr/lib/moxilla/plugins: No such file or directoryirv@vector:$

Okay then please show me:

$ ls -al /home/irv/$ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

( You made a typo in the second command the first time ;) ):D BrunoPS: How do you like Vector so far ?

Okay then please show me:
 $ ls -al /home/irv/$ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

( You made a typo in the second command the first time ;) ):D Bruno

irv@vector:$ ls -al /home/irvtotal 1600drwxr-xr-x 22 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 22:42 ./drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 ../drwxr-xr-x 4 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .Choices/-rw------- 1 irv irv 111 2006-02-02 03:57 .Xauthority-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 342 2006-02-02 03:50 .Xdefaults-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 901 2006-02-02 05:51 .asoundrc-rw------- 1 irv irv 1706 2006-02-02 23:37 .bash_history-rwxr-x--- 1 irv irv 801 2006-02-02 03:50 .bashrc*drwx------ 3 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 04:05 .cache/drwxr-xr-x 4 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .config/drwxr-xr-x 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .fluxbox/drwxr-xr-x 4 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 05:52 .fullcircle/drwx------ 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 04:13 .gftp/drwxr-xr-x 5 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .gkrellm2/drwxr-xr-x 5 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 04:15 .gqview/-rw-r----- 1 irv irv 270 2006-02-02 03:50 .gtkrc-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 155 2006-02-02 03:50 .gtkrc-2.0-rw-r----- 1 irv irv 50 2006-02-02 03:50 .gtkrc.minedrwxr-xr-x 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:58 .icewm/drwxr-x--- 4 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .icons/drwx------ 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:59 .menueditor/drwx------ 3 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 04:16 .mozilla/drwxr-xr-x 3 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .mplayer/drwxr-xr-x 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 22:42 .nedit/drwx------ 2 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 08:46 .themes/drwx------ 3 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 04:14 .thumbnails/drwxr-x--- 4 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 03:50 .xmms/-rw------- 1 irv irv 21984 2006-02-03 00:30 .xsession-errors-rwsr-sr-t 1 irv irv 206893 2006-02-02 09:08 gslapt-0.3.11.tar.gz*drwxr-xr-x 2 irv irv 4096 2005-11-02 22:06 install_flash_player_7_linux/-rwxr-xr-x 1 irv irv 989217 2006-02-02 08:43 install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz*-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 146940 2006-02-02 09:10 slapt-get-0.9.11a.tar.gz-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 123216 2006-02-02 09:09 slapt-update-notifier-0.1.tar.gzirv@vector:$ ls -al/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/usr/bin/ls: invalid option -- /Try `/usr/bin/ls --help' for more information.irv@vector:$ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/pluginstotal 8drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-02-22 19:33 ./drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2005-02-22 19:33 ../irv@vector:$ irv@vector:$

Okay . . This shows us that "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" is the directory where to copy them to . . . now next command:

$ ls -al  install_flash_player_7_linux

( if you copy and paste the command in the terminal you avoid typos ;) ):D Bruno

Okay . . This shows us that "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" is the directory where to copy them to . . . now next command:
$ ls -al  install_flash_player_7_linux

( if you copy and paste the command in the terminal you avoid typos ;) ):D Bruno

HAHA...How??? cut and paste???? I am doing it by hilite and then wheel click to paste????irv@vector:$ ls -al install_flash_player_7_linux/usr/bin/ls: install_flash_player_7_linux: No such file or directoryirv@vector:$ ls -al install_flash_player_7_linux/usr/bin/ls: install_flash_player_7_linux: No such file or directoryirv@vector:$

Hi IrvYou copy simply by selecting the text I post . . . . then you go to the terminal and press the wheel button, that will paste it. ( only 2 actions: select and paste )Okay let us try again:

$ ls -al /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux

;) Bruno

Hi IrvYou copy simply by selecting the text I post . . . . then you go to the terminal and press the wheel button, that will paste it. ( only 2 actions: select and paste )Okay let us try again:
$ ls -al /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux

;) Bruno

root@vector:# ls -al /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linuxtotal 2108drwxr-xr-x 2 irv irv 4096 2005-11-02 22:06 ./drwxr-xr-x 22 irv irv 4096 2006-02-02 22:42 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 11905 2005-11-02 22:06 Readme.htm-rw-r--r-- 1 irv irv 5416 2005-11-02 22:06 Readme.txt-r-xr-xr-x 1 irv irv 23614 2005-10-21 21:05 flashplayer-installer*-r--r--r-- 1 irv irv 856 2005-10-21 21:05 flashplayer.xpt-rwxr-xr-x 1 irv irv 2096844 2005-10-21 21:05 libflashplayer.so*root@vector:#

YES . . . now we are getting somewhere :DOkay 2 more commands:

$ su< password ># cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/# cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

And to check if they are there:

# ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

;) Bruno

YES . . . now we are getting somewhere :DOkay 2 more commands:
$ su< password ># cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/# cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

And to check if they are there:

# ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

;) Bruno

root@vector:# cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/root@vector:# cp /home/irv/install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ root@vector:# ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins total 2064drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-02-03 01:05 ./drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2005-02-22 19:33 ../-r--r--r-- 1 root root 856 2006-02-03 01:05 flashplayer.xpt-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2096844 2006-02-03 01:05 libflashplayer.so*root@vector:#

Yes . . well done Irv !!!!Now close and re-open your browser and type in the addressbar: "about:plugins" and see if the browser lists them.;) Bruno

Yes . . well done Irv !!!!Now close and re-open your browser and type in the addressbar: "about:plugins" and see if the browser lists them.;) Bruno
Here is where I get confused. What are you calling "my browser"? Never mind I got it.....Firefox!!! dah! Edited by irvdk

Here is where I get confused. What are you calling "my browser"?
I presume you are using either Firefox or Konqueror . . . . . anyway the software you use to visit the forum . . . ;);) Bruno

I presume you are using either Firefox or Konqueror . . . . . anyway the software you use to visit the forum . . . ;):) Bruno
Shockwave Flash File name: libflashplayer.so Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yesapplication/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes ;) Hallaluha :D All that to install a program????OK now...in the same directory /home/irv/ I have the following files to install.slapt-get-0.9.11a.tar.gz and slapt-update-notifier-0.1.tar.gzI want to install them....... Edited by irvdk

&P3

:o Hallaluha :wacko: All that to install a program????
Well the flash install is somewhat different from other programs you would install :)And the best is to use the package manager that is default in Vector Linux :DAnyway just to have an overview of what we did, I took the occasion to write a Tip ( see top of the forum or http://www.brunolinux.com ) . . here it is the raw sketch, it will be posted next week:
INSTALLING MACROMEDIA FLASH PLAYERGo to:http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo...rsion=Netscape4Press the "Download Now" button and download the "install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz" to your /home directory.Next:
$ tar -xvzf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz$ su< password ># cp /install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/# cp /install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Then check if the 2 files "flashplayer.xpt" and "libflashplayer.so" are indeed in the correct directory:

# ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

And finally open your browser and type in the addessbar: "about:plugins" to see if the browser indeed lists them.

B) Bruno

&P3Well the flash install is somewhat different from other programs you would install :)And the best is to use the package manager that is default in Vector Linux :DAnyway just to have an overview of what we did, I took the occasion to write a Tip ( see top of the forum or http://www.brunolinux.com ) . . here it is the raw sketch, it will be posted next week::o Bruno
Now that's a good idea!! I am going to print off this thread anyway. I do not find those two packages in the package manager...

Now that's a good idea!!
Well, Irv . . apparently you bring up the best in me . . . . :o . . . ;)Anyway . . . how do you like Vector so far ? Is it running smoother/faster then PCLos ??:wacko: Bruno

Well, Irv . . apparently you bring up the best in me . . . . :wacko: . . . ;)Anyway . . . how do you like Vector so far ? Is it running smoother/faster then PCLos ??B) Bruno
Much better. It's pretty peppy....loads and unloads great.I'm glad I bring out the best in you...did'nt think that was possible...your already the BEST! :o SO, my next step is to try and install the other packages on my own, and see what I run into. I appreciate the help.Irv Edited by irvdk

SO, my next step is to try and install the other packages on my own, and see what I run into. I appreciate the help.Irv
As long as you use the package manager there will be no real problem . . . . if you want to install any other package that is not available in the package manager: please consult first B) ( it uses Slackware packages that end on .tgz . . and not tar.gz :o . . . if a package is ONLY available in tar.gz it can be installed but it takes a lot more effort then a .tgz file. )Have FUN !!:wacko: Bruno

As long as you use the package manager there will be no real problem . . . . if you want to install any other package that is not available in the package manager: please consult first B) ( it uses Slackware packages that end on .tgz . . and not tar.gz :o . . . if a package is ONLY available in tar.gz it can be installed but it takes a lot more effort then a .tgz file. )Have FUN !!:wacko: Bruno
Well I am trying but not getting anywhere. I opened VLAPT. Then selected:CONFIG Set sources, working directory,and filters and click OKFAVOUITE Set favourite sources OKThen I did the same for VECTOR and SLACKWARE and then finish config.UPDATE get new packages info from sources and it listed all the sources. OKIt went through the update process and then finally came back and told me eveything is up to date.So my question is how do you find and get software that you might want to install and that has a .tgz format?