ARGH! just saw a christmas shopping commercial

crp

V.T. Eric Layton

Early? Nah... Walmart here by my house in Tampa had their Christmas decorations and baloney up the 1st of October.

It's never too early for GREED!

Cluttermagnet

It's a little less simple than just greed. The merchants already know they are selling into a very weak market. They know (not conjecture here) that it's going to be a slow season. This is misery for those folks. Typical remedies include starting the deep discounting early. Only a very few that are positioned just right (Walmart, etc.) can expect a booming season. For most, this is slow starvation. Yep, the crap economy is killing more than just us chickens- it is also sitting on the heads of the retailers. Plenty of misery to go around, folks.

Personally, I could care less what they do. I am totally not in their demographic. They are fighting over an ever shrinking pile of disposable Christmas cash. Early sales with significant discounts will reel in some of those folks.

It's a little less simple than just greed. The merchants already know they are selling into a very weak market. They know (not conjecture here) that it's going to be a slow season. This is misery for those folks. Typical remedies include starting the deep discounting early. [...]

<sigh>, you are probably correct. 2 more store fronts are empty near my work place :(

I wonder it pc buyers will jump in now or wait till Spring when the XP/Office03 deadline looms.

Perhaps stores that sell computers should push that angle now .

Guest LilBambi

Yes, so right you are Clutter!

The number of empty storefronts and revolving door storefronts is staggering. The number of closures of small businesses and even banks closing branches is nuts.

It appears to be belly tuck times all around.

V.T. Eric Layton

I haven't bought Christmas gifts for anyone since around 2006. I haven't had any kind of income, nevermind the disposable kind, worth mentioning during the past 7 years. I have no sympathy for retailers like Walmart that buy garbage from China that is made by little girls for some rice and a few pennies. Nor do I have sympathy for retailers like Walmart who pay their employees the U.S. equivalent of the same starvation wage the Chinese girls get. At least the little Chinese girls working in those slave labor compounds... er, I mean factories in China get fed.

I have no sympathy for retailers like Walmart that buy garbage from China that is made by little girls for some rice and a few pennies.

Which is the primry reason I do not shop at a place like Wal-Mart. It is cheap junk that does not last, and it supports an economic model that I do not approve of (the dollar over everything else).

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Well, I know of one place I will be spending more time in store-wise. And I have you, Adam, and my sister to thank for it.

Ollies! You have been telling me about Ollies for some time. I had never been there. I visit my sister in Mt. Airy, and guess where she takes me? Ollies! Liquidations galore I guess! It is wonderful! I will be finding the Ollies in Hampton as soon as I can!

Ollies Bargain Outlet

store_Details_f_06.jpg

Edited by LilBambi

I have no philosophical problem shopping at WalMart. When I get there I don't buy much as I do avoid Chinese made products as much as possible. And their prices are not so much cheaper than others due solely to the Chinese angle - their methods for tracking and transporting supplies were (and still are) ahead of other national retailers. As for their wages - they are not forcing anyone to take jobs there, they don't do child labor and they pay more than you think and the lowest wage is for newbies not for those who have prove themselves by sticking around for a year. The story with the picketers is not an anecdote , it actually happened and in more than one location. If you have problems with how they pay their employees and don't shop there then be consistent and don't go to any fastfood stores or ice cream stores.

And what makes you think that the stock pickers for on-line store are making 6 figures?

V.T. Eric Layton

Which is the primry reason I do not shop at a place like Wal-Mart. It is cheap junk that does not last, and it supports an economic model that I do not approve of (the dollar over everything else).

Adam

Sadly, for folks in my position (poverty, hand-to-mouth existence), we often have no choice in the matter. If I need something (toilet paper, cat food, etc.) and it's cheaper at Walmart than anywhere else, I have to get it at Walmart. I have to put my personal feelings aside. It sucks! And more sadly, MANY Americans are in the same boat as I am.

Guest LilBambi

Yep, there are things I buy from Walmart. Although getting to it is not close where I live so often I go elsewhere. Takes an hour and 20 min min to get to the closest Walmart across the ferry in Williamsburg.

Certainly wouldn't buy much in the food vein there (their food prices are no savings except for certain things), but I do hold off and get what I do need from Walmart's in one trip every couple of weeks. I also use their pharmacy during the few times I actually need a pharmacy.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll pass on food at Walmart, too. Not only is it just as cheap or cheaper at my regular grocery store, the Walmart food is yucky at the store by my house; particularly the produce. :( I go there mostly for paper products and cat food/litter.

You have a ferry? COOL! :)

Guest LilBambi

Yep, we have a ferry. I generally enjoy it unless it is too cold or too hot since you can't run your engine (thereby no heat or a/c). Winter is the worst because those 15-20 minutes sitting on the ferry each way gets quite cold in the coldest part of the winter. Not as bad as up north of course, but it's the only viable way to get to Williamsburg without burning a ton of gas to get to the James River Bridge, or the Benjamin Harrison Memorial Bridge. At least the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry system is free. Used to have to pay to cross it.

Colonial Williamsburg is a very cool historic area, as is the Historic Jamestown area. My favorite part at Jamestown are the replicas of the three ships: the Discovery, the Susan Constant and the Godspeed. In the summer, you can actually see them out on the James River occasionally for tours.

thumb_Jamestown_Settlement_ships.jpg

Jamestown Settlement - History is Fun

Colonial Wiliiamsburg has some wonderful museums too. As do Jamestown and Yorktown also part of the Historic Triangle.

logo.gif

And when you have had your fill of history ... there's always Williamsburg Busch Gardens (now apparently owned by Seaworld Parks).

But the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation does very well for itself and keeps the area in beautiful condition for visits. You can get passes for just Colonial Wiliamsburg or go for the greater value of the Historic Triangle passes or get them individually.

Any way you look at it, if you have never been to the Colonial Williamsburg area/Historic Triangle and all it has to offer, especially if you love history, it's well worth the time to see it all.