Got me a kitty

securitybreach

securitybreach

Well I just got a cat (kitten). I have not named her yet but I am excited. I have always been a dog person but I cannot have any where I live. That said, I love all animals. I have been around cats a lot but just never had one of my own. I'll probably have to go buy a vaccination (I have administered them to dogs many times) and maybe some flea shampoo as she was on a carport with the rest. I also bought her some toys and a cardboard scratching pad with catnip on it. Amazing enough, she just used the litter box without being trained.

fQBSqPs.jpg

qDFW7JL.jpg

YJtrcln.jpg

KXlqBZo.jpg

I think I may name her Anubis which is the Egyption god of judgement of life and death.

• Like 1

securitybreach

WARNING!

Do not administer flea meds to kitten, you will kill it!

Dampen wash rag w soapy water and wipe kitty, the fleas die.

Check with your vet!

Yes, cats instinctively use a litter box. Vey cool!

Glad you got a kitty, glad you love animals, it's a good sign!

Thanks a lot! Should I get worm medicine?

BTW I look around on her and didn't see any fleas.

securitybreach

you should talk to a vet - kittens die easily - the vet will tell you if kitty is old enough.

Well I just won't worry about right now then. She seems to be doing fine but I have told that kittens tend to get worms.

V.T. Eric Layton

• Spend some $$$ and take her to a veterinarian for a complete check up and vaccinations/worming/flea treatment. Later on, when she's a bit older (after first estrus cycle), take her to be spayed.
  • Make her an INSIDE-ONLY kitty! This is very important. Don't let her outside to wonder, catch diseases, get run over, etc. The lifetime of an indoor cat is often 15 - 20+ years. The lifetime of an outside cat is less than three years.
  • Get a good quality cat carrier. You may need it to transport her in emergencies.
  • Make sure your neighbors know you have a pet in the apartment and ask them to kick in th door or break the windows to let the cat out in the event of a fire.
  • Remember that cats have personalities just like people. Get to know hers and understand hers as it develops.
  • Remove all dangerous plants and other items from your apartment. You don't want her eating or chewing on anything that may harm her.
  • Read about cats on the bazillions of cat sites online. Lots of good info.
  • Love your kitty. She'll return that love 1000 times over.

Anubis is a cool name. It'll get shortened to "Annie", probably. ;)

Some cat links:

http://cats.about.com/

http://www.thecatsite.com/

http://www.catchannel.com/

Also, cats love to play in boxes. They like crumpled up pieces of paper to bat around on the floor. They love to have a window seat so they can relax in the sun and watch the world go by outside. No plastic, cellophane or foil. That can be hazardous to kitty.

P.S. Women love men who love kitties. :yes:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well she will never go outside. Since she will never go outside, does she need to be spayed?

As far as the name, it will probably be shortened to "Nubis".

There is nothing dangerous in my house but I did hide some wires in the living room and blocked the passage behind the refrigerator. When I am not at home, my bedroom door will be closed until she learns not to chew on wires.

Thanks for the tips Eric!! :thumbup:

securitybreach

I also made sure to get kitten food and grainy sand type litter as kittens need softer litter (or so I read).

V.T. Eric Layton

I never had issues with any of my cats chewing wires. That's more a dog thing, I think.

As far as spaying goes, when she goes into heat in your apartment and starts her incessant yowling and other psychotic antics, you'll be RUSHING her to the vet to get fixed after that. ;)

There is a beneficial side effect to spaying. Since spaying of female cats is the equivalent of a complete hysterectomy in a human woman, the risk of cancer is nearly eliminated. Also, the raging hormones thing gets resolved. It's to her advantage (and yours) to get her spayed.

Find a GOOD vet. Get references. Check them out online, the BBB, etc. You're trusting the life of a loved one to that man or woman, don't forget.

I had to learn a lot when I got these kittens for my mom a few months before she died. I've learned tons since then about cats and cat behavior. They are awesome animals.... very smart, with really interesting personality traits. Just watching my cats make me laugh sometimes. There's nothing better than a cat in your lap after a crappy day at work. :yes:

Take good care of her.

V.T. Eric Layton

======

Also, don't get suckered by the commercials for the special litter or the special $20/lb bag of cat food for kitty. I've used the plain ol' clay litter for my cats for 15 years. I have two boxes for three cats. I scoop every other day. A 25lb bag lasts me two weeks. Be sure to keep kitty's litter clean. They don't like dirty, ill-kept litter boxes. They will let you know that, too... often by pooping on you pillow or desk. ;)

Have fun!

P.S. My cats have been eating Little Friskies --> http://www.friskies.com/Cat-Food/Dry-Cat-Food Friskies Meaty Bites or Shreds. They love that nasty crud. I call it "stinky food". Experiment. See what kitty likes best.

securitybreach

Thanks for the advice!! My mom has had her cat for about a decade so I will see what she suggests as far as a vet and such.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I'd bet mom has lots of info to share with you.

Purina's a good brand, too.

Some cats like variety, some don't. My Li'l Black Kitty just likes her same ol' Friskies dry food every day. She's not even much on snacks and such. Although, she does have an addiction to crunchies, my term for little kitty snacks called Temptations --> http://www.temptationstreats.com/

• Like 1

As a fellow cat owner, if the cat box smell bothers you in any way, I would strongly recommend the Litter Robot. Pricey, but completely automated litter box that does not require scooping or specials bags and junk.

I got ours used, and it has been churning along nicely. :)

Adam

securitybreach

As a fellow cat owner, if the cat box smell bothers you in any way, I would strongly recommend the Litter Robot. Pricey, but completely automated litter box that does not require scooping or specials bags and junk.

I got ours used, and it has been churning along nicely. :)

Adam

Well like my mom does. I will use a scooper to pick up the waste daily. Her's has no smell since she cleans it frequently.

She is absolutely precious! Definitely love at first site of that precious face. As a fellow dog & cat lover, I agree with all the good advice that has been provided, especially getting her checked by a vet. Along with the kitten food, don't forget fresh water. Even though our Buddy (now ~17) has his own water bowl by his food, he prefers the dogs' water bowl and insists that it be "topped off", which we gladly do to keep our elderly boy happy.

My favorite picture of Buddy:

230310_1075004433600_5926207_n.jpg

• Like 2

securitybreach

I gave her a bath in the sink with warm water and she didn't even freak out at all. She just sat there.

I gave her a bath in the sink with warm water and she didn't even freak out at all. She just sat there.

Cats should not need baths very often at all. I think we have given ours a bathtwice in two years. If you give them a bath, the oils in their fur and skin get messed up, I think.

Guest LilBambi

Awesome! KItties are great! 'Nubis is so cute! Looks a bit like a more fluffy Root. LOL! All great advice here!

Our Root was a trip. We miss him terribly.

Root loved his dry food and we got him Friskies or Purina and sometimes the cheap stuff too. We supplemented with the occasional can of wet food or tuna as well. Definitely need to supplement with wet food to prevent some of the painful and mostly preventable diseases.

Here's our Root Cat:

Root1_12-16-2004.jpg

Here is the Root Cat 'reading' ;)

Root6_12-16-2004.jpg

securitybreach

Cats should not need baths very often at all. I think we have given ours a bathtwice in two years. If you give them a bath, the oils in their fur and skin get messed up, I think.

Yeah I realize that. I just gave her a bath because she was outside(on a carport) since she was born. Cats clean themselves often. An inside cat should not ever really need a bath.

Excellent Fran!! So every now and again, I need to give the kitty wet food?

Yeah I realize that. I just gave her a bath because she was outside(on a carport) since she was born. Cats clean themselves often. An inside cat should not ever really need a bath.

Excellent Fran!! So every now and again, I need to give the kitty wet food?

No... we do every once in a while as a treat.

Adam

• Like 1

Tater Tot is great! Very nice kitty for sure.

He sure is! The only sad part is the human he has chosen to love the most does not reciprocate... lol

Adam

Guest LilBambi

You don't have to supplement with wet food, but I would if you can. If you talk to the vet, they will tell you it is best to mix up their food a bit between dry and wet food. I would ask what your vet says about it and your Mom.

abarbarian

Can I care for a cat?

To care for a cat you will need to:

•  

Provide plenty of human companionship

• Provide regular, suitable meals with a constant supply of fresh water

• Provide a clean and comfortable bed

• Provide the cat with outdoor access or be prepared to empty and clean a litter tray on a daily basis

• Groom it regularly. Longhaired cats require daily grooming

• Have it neutered between 4 and 6 months old

• Vaccinate against the major feline diseases regularly

• Worm regularly and provide treatment for fleas

• Take the cat to the vet when it shows any sign of illness - pet insurance can help offset the cost of veterinary treatment.

Going outside

Your kitten should not be allowed outside until at least a week after it has finished its first course of vaccinations at about 13 - 14 weeks old (depending on the vaccine). Once it is fully vaccinated and has become used to life in your house, you can start to let your kitten go outside. Choose a dry day (if possible) and a quiet time and accompany your kitten outside, allowing it to explore the new environment. Continue to accompany the kitten until it is used to your garden and can find its way back to the house without difficulty. It is best not to leave your kitten outside alone until it is 6 months old.

Cats like to come and go as they please.

Fab looking hairstyle an a gorgeous looking kitty. Have fun.

B)

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/kittens/info.html

Edited by abarbarian

V.T. Eric Layton

Raising kitty is a lot like religion and politics... a lot of differing opinions. Why is that? Well, simply because different cats are different. Do what's best for you and your kitty.

Me?

Well, here's what I do:

• I use the cheapest bulk clay litter.
  • I change out the litter once every two weeks, but scoop and deodorize every couple days.
  • My cats have never been given baths. Bathing cats removes their needed skin oils and can cause skin infections and rashes/loss of hair, etc.
  • They eat mostly dry food, but get canned food and tuna two or three times a week as treats.
  • My vet told me that it is best to let a female cat have her first estrus cycle before getting her fixed because she will be fully-formed/mature internally at that point. Not a good practice for outside cats, though. Get them fixed as soon as possible.
  • Some people have indoor/outdoor cats. This is a personal choice. I have semi-ferals outside in my backyard that I take care of, but my inside-only girls NEVER set a paw outdoors.
  • Advantage flea treatment is a miracle of modern flea-fighting technology. An indoor-only cat may only need to be treated twice a year, though.

And lastly, since this is as good a thread as any to post pics of our furry puddins, here are mine:

Patches (almost 15 years old), the Grand Dame of the household. "We are not amused, human."

th_patches_fall-2012.jpg

Precious (almost 15 years old), a feral save whom I nursed from 5 days old because her mother lost her behind the Sears Service Center back in October of '98.

th_precious_fall-2012.jpg

And my Li'l Black Kitty (just now 11 years old), a feral save from the colony in my backyard.

th_lilblackkitty-2011.jpg

I Live With Three Beautiful Ladies (Revisited) - The story of how I got my kitties.

abarbarian

Raising kitty is a lot like religion and politics... a lot of differing opinions. Why is that? Well, simply because different cats are different. Do what's best for you and your kitty.

• My cats have never been given baths. Bathing cats removes their needed skin oils and can cause skin infections and rashes/loss of hair, etc.

• My vet told me that it is best to let a female cat have her first estrus cycle before getting her fixed because she will be fully-formed/mature internally at that point. Not a good practice for outside cats, though. Get them fixed as soon as possible.

Excellent advice above.

I always gave my cats some of my dinner meat if they asked nicely.

A word of warning. Cats are very devious and clever. Just watch the vids.

Watch this clever cat's excellent door-opening method

Watch this kitty defy gravity with Spider-Man fridge walk

An do not forget if you have had enough. You can always recycle it.

nY1LntOl.jpg

My kids have been asking me for a dog so long ago, but the back yard is not in good conditions for a dog, (no grass) so I think I will get a cat.

I would love to get a Beagle kind of dog, some small dog with short hair.

But maybe is better a female sterilized cat.