Good Reads (Split off from My IT Certification thread)

books reading classics

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#176 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:03 PM

12 fiction books for Linux and open source fans

For this book list, I reached out to our writer community to ask which fiction books they would recommend to their peers. What I love about this question and the answers that follow is this list gives us a deeper look into their personalities. Fiction favorites are unlike non-fiction recommendations in that your technical skills and interests may have an influence on what you like to read read, but it's much more about your personality and life experiences that draw you to pick out, and love, a particular fiction book.
These people are your people. I hope you find something interesting to add to your reading list.

Looks like some interesting books on the list. I have read one of the books way back in the 90's. We gave  a copy to our Tai Chi master along with several jars of honey for his birthday one year. :hysterical:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#177 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,517 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

I haven't read any of them. However, I did try to read the Neal Stephenson one and the Daniel Suarez one; couldn't get too far into either one, though.

#178 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:57 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 12 June 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

I haven't read any of them. However, I did try to read the Neal Stephenson one and the Daniel Suarez one; couldn't get too far into either one, though.

Blimey ! you have not read the Tao of Poo :w00tx100:

“When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.”
― Benjamin Hoff,  The Tao of Pooh

Install ARCH

#179 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,517 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

I usually avoid poo when at all possible. ;)

#180 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:08 AM

Excellent No-Charge Linux Books – Learn About Linux – For Beginners

Many no-charge e-books are, frankly, little more than spam bait, often published only to entice you to purchase a book from the same publisher. Poorly written, and with very little original content. Whereas the recommended texts below are definitely worth downloading. They’ll teach you the basics about Linux and so much more. They’re the ideal starting point for your Linux adventures. And you don’t have to divulge any personal information to get your hands on them.

Linux differs in so many ways to Windows. You might be well versed with Windows. But if you’re keen to explore and experiment with Linux, it’s worth investing some time with a good book about the subject. There are a huge range of books to learn about Linux. With many thousands of e-book and in-print books available, the choice can be baffling. And many paperback and hardback books are expensive. Step forward no-charge e-books designed for the beginner. Naturally, there are many other ways of learning about Linux, such as reading official documentation from the developers of Linux distributions, or from projects such as the respected Linux Documentation Project.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading, classics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users