• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

Now that I have my roof intact, it was time to head down to the basement and check out the next possible house capital expense - heating and cooling. Unlike the roof (shingles are curling dude...not good!!!) the situation with the furnace and A/C are more complicated. I get the system serviced every year so I took advantage of the fact the tech was here to quiz him on the longevity of my current hardware. His comments as he worked:
  • Well, the house builder didn't put in the best quality system. We don't sell these units anymore and if you don't look after them you probably are looking at a 10-year life - it's now going on 14.
  • Of course, you do look after it so that is a good sign you'll get a longer life.
  • Installation is important and looking at the tags I see this system was installed by the best tech in the company at the time. He is now a college HVAC instructor.
  • This furnace seems to be a particularly good example. The combustion test I ran is well within spec - no problems with the heat exchanger or burners - very clean.
  • The A/C evaporator coil looks very clean as well and no signs of leaks or corrosion. The condensing unit is getting old but a start kit was put on a few years ago and that makes it a lot easier on the compressor so that is good.
Bottom line. It's in good shape for the shape it's in. Call me in again next year and I'll re-evaluate. Probably worth planning to replace because this is a bottom of the line high-efficiency furnace and just about any new model will do a lot better,
So does that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling or what?
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:00 PM

Always nice to get good news.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,491 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

Ah... the plight of the homeowner. Fix one thing; three others break. This is particularly prevalent in older homes like mine (built in 1953). Fortunately, my father built this house himself and he did a super good job. Thanks, Dad!

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

I'm sure the heating/cooling requirements are much different in Tampa then they are in Ottawa. Up here the cooling season is 4 months at most and you are rarely pushing the system hard. On the other hand, the heating season is a 9-month slog and you want to extract as much efficiency out of the furnace as possible. A heat pump won't work though because we get too many cold days where the system is unusable and you need furnace backup. So you go with a fancy furnace and simple A/C setup.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,491 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

Yup. The climate is slightly different. In Florida, we only have two seasons...  the sweating season and the not-sweating-as-much season. :)

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 21 August 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Yup. The climate is slightly different. In Florida, we only have two seasons...  the sweating season and the not-sweating-as-much season. :)

It's the same as here in the swamp we call New Orleans.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#7 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

I get my furnace serviced each autumn, but through various strange convocations of circumstance, I haven't got around to getting them back in the spring to check the air conditioning system for two years. I think it's a little late now, but I've got to be sure to get it done next year. I replaced the furnace in 2013, but didn't really have anything done to the A/C at that time since parts of it had been replaced a few years before.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,491 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

This is the only method of heating I have in my house...

Posted Image

I have three of them. They keep the house toasty warm throughout the raw winter season (three weeks in January). Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users