New Apache OpenOffice Released

V.T. Eric Layton

apache? openoffice? apache?

when did i miss apache getting openoffice?

The Apache syndicate gives better licensing terms for what the openoffice people wanted than others

Guest LilBambi

OpenOffice is a great free product. However, I have used LibreOffice mostly for a while now. I still use OpenOffice on some computers, but very few.

Even my Debian Wheezy comes with LibreOffice these days.

I love them both, but use LibreOffice is my favored open source office product these days.

V.T. Eric Layton

One of the things I do like about OpenOffice is that the interface looks more professional to me. I don't like the cheesy icons used as defaults by LibreOffice.

• Like 1

securitybreach

does anyone know if libreoffice absorbed any top-talent from the oo project?

Well they took 33 of the lead developers and I do not think any went back to OO when Apache absorbed them.

Guest LilBambi

Exactly!

Statement About Oracle’s Move To Donate OpenOffice.Org Assets To The Apache Foundation

The Document Foundation (LibreOffice developers) is the group of initial developers that left from OpenOffice prior to Oracle realizing their best move was to donate OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation and any new developers that they have picked up along the way and community members that help out.

Guest LilBambi

Open Office is still a good and viable office suite; it is under the protection of the Apache Foundation who now handles all things Open Office after Oracle donated the code for Open Office to the Apache Foundation along with all the other Apache Foundation Projects.

Many people still use Open Office. So it is very much a viable suite.

I am just saying, that I have personally mostly moved over to LibreOffice and I really love it.

Guest LilBambi

Care to elaborate? As far as I can see, it has all the same stuff.

Base (database), Calc (spreadsheet), Draw (flowcharts, and other drawing tools), Impress (presentations similar to PowerPoint and Keynote), Writer (Wordprocessor), Math (for doing math calculations using correct symbols), if you look at LibreOffice.org and compare to OpenOffice Products. Beyond that, I am not sure. They are both excellent.

Getting back to icons, I prefer the icons for LibreOffice to OpenOffice...and that seems in many ways the only real difference; besides the developers behind them.

V.T. Eric Layton

I never noticed much difference initially, Temmu, except for the "cartoony", as Josh puts it, icons that Libre uses. I haven't run OO for a few years, though, so for all I know, there are vast differences between the two these days. That was one of the reasons I was thinking about installing it on my Slackware... just to see.

securitybreach

I am pretty sure Libreoffice is identical to OpenOffice except for a few things:

The license

OpenOffice is bundled with java (jre)

LibreOffice gets new features faster due to it being developed by The Document Foundation:

t is an independent self-governing meritocratic entity, created by former leading members of the OpenOffice.org Community, in the form of a charitable Foundation under German law

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

By the way, I did manage to change the "cartoony" icons in LibreOffice. I just chose a diff theme in the Options/Preferences dialog. Duh! ;)