Laptop with PCLos 2007 Fails to Shut Down Properly

BillD

I am in the process of setting up PCLos 2007 on an HP Compaq nx6325 and I discovered that it would not shut down. In verbose mode, it says it is halting, and then it just sits there and I have to hold down the power key to shut it off. It will restart OK, but it will not shutdown properly. Thought maybe there was something odd about my initial installation, so I reinstalled, and sure enough, the same things still happens . . . Guess that is not the end of the world, but I wonder why it will not shut down?Thanks,Bill

Hi BillSame advise here as in the other thread

have a look in the line that boots your PCLos ( press the spacebar at the bootscreen and you will see at the bottom the line that passes arguments to the kernel at boot. Have a look if there is something like "apci=ht" ( or something else with "=ht" ) . . remove that part and boot and see if that helps.
Only now I am pretty sure the "=ht" argument at boot needs to be deleted and that should solve the shutdown problem.Once you know the correct arguments at boot we can make them permanent in Grub ;):lol: Bruno

The shutdown isue is another ACPI related problem. getting the right boot option should solve the issue.I have the same thin......... wait, I think I've said this before. :DMy laptop does not power off automatically either.Adam

have a look in the line that boots your PCLos ( press the spacebar at the bootscreen and you will see at the bottom the line that passes arguments to the kernel at boot. Have a look if there is something like "apci=ht" ( or something else with "=ht" ) . . remove that part and boot and see if that helps.
Well, I have it set up for Lilo rather than Grub. Should I reload and try Grub? Or can we access this boot up listing some other way? Pressing the spacebar does nothing for me in Lilo; it just goes ahead and boots with the GUI and if I boot with the "Linux-nonfb" option, it goes so fast I cannot see what is in there.And Adam, how/where do you set the "APCI arguments" . . . ?Thank you,Bill Edited by BillD

Hi BillLilo is no problem at all, we can work with that too :D ( I just thought because Grub is the default that you used Grub :lol: )Anyway . . please show

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

:thumbsup: Bruno

$ cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="linux"boot=/dev/sdamap=/boot/mapinstall=menukeytable=/boot/us.kltmenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwcompactpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messageimage=/boot/vmlinuz		label="linux"		root=/dev/sda6		initrd=/boot/initrd.img		append=" acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent"		vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz		label="linux-nonfb"		root=/dev/sda6		initrd=/boot/initrd.img		append=" acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7"image=/boot/vmlinuz		label="failsafe"		root=/dev/sda6		initrd=/boot/initrd.img		append=" failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7"other=/dev/sda1		label="windows"		table=/dev/sdaother=/dev/sda2		label="windows1"		table=/dev/sda

Incidentally, if I set it to reboot rather than shut down, it ends with a statement to the effect that "file proc are being unmounted" whereas if I just shut down, it says "halted" and is indeed!Thanks,Bill

Edited by BillD

Okay Bill, this is the relevant part:

image=/boot/vmlinuz		label="linux"		root=/dev/sda6		initrd=/boot/initrd.img		append=" acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent"		vga=788

See the append line ?? There is where we will try to juggle a bit with extra code.First try this one:

append=" acpi=on noapic resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent"

after the edit in just that one line please save the file and give the command:

# /sbin/lilo

next reboot and see if after that reboot at shutdown you get better results.We might have to do a few different changes before we will get the best result . . . so please be patient and order some pizza and soda ;)B)

Bruno, it did not seem to make any difference. Did you mean to say noapic? Or noapci? And what are these?Bill

Edited by BillD

Bruno, it did not seem to make any difference. Did you mean to say noapic? Or noapci? And what are these?
Yep I meant to say noapic indeed . . and these are powermanagement tools.Okay remove the noapic and replace it with nolapic . . . and reboot again and try the shutdown againB) Bruno

Yep I meant to say noapic indeed . . and these are powermanagement tools.
Well, I asked because apci is listed in synaptic and apic is not and I see where apci is listed in synaptic as being power management stuff . . .BillEdit: Alas, noapci did not work . . . will continue.Thanks Edited by BillD

Yep but most of these codes are kernel parameters you pass to the kernel at boot . . . we do have a few more we want to try before seeing any result :Dnoapic ( we tried this one )nolapicapic=onnoapmand skip the acpi=on that is in there now or replacing the acpi=on with acpi=htB) Bruno

Well, Bruno, I have tried all of them above and they all end up saying "Halted" with a flashing curser and I can only turn the computer off by holding down the power button for several seconds; very uncool!Thanks,Bill

Bill, have a look in the BIOS... I just delivered a PC to a client, which was one out of two I got from a local school. Powerful Pentium 4 2,4GHz with 1 gig RAM. Asus main board. In the BIOS of this main board are options to select either APIC/PIC/APCI and to turn that on or off.Maybe it's in the BIOS of your laptop too, who knows. A look in there never hurts. B)

Unfortunately, no; there are no options for setting power in this laptop BIOS.Just wondered something; I was using verbose mode to power down each time I changed something yesterday so that I could see what it said. And later, I was in the nonfb part of the boot. Now since the nonfb did not have the append in it, did that screw up my experiments?That is, should I be making the changes in the nonfb part of the boot menu since that is where I was looking toward the end?Thanks,Bill

Edited by BillD

Just wondered something; I was using verbose mode to power down each time I changed something yesterday so that I could see what it said. And later, I was in the nonfb part of the boot. Now since the nonfb did not have the append in it, did that screw up my experiments?That is, should I be making the changes in the nonfb part of the boot menu since that is where I was looking toward the end?
Well the idea was that we experimented with the default boot-option ( and in case we messed up we could still use the nonfb to boot and repair/fix things )Anyway another thing I want you to try is: go in the PCC --> system --> "enable or disable system services" and see if the box at apmd is ticked to start at boot . . . if so uncheck it so it does NOT start at boot. Next restore the default appendline in lilo.conf and write the new lilo to the MBR . . . next reboot and after the reboot shut down.If you want to see messages change ONE thing in the appendline: make "splash=silent" read "splash=verbose" . . . . after that you will have messages at boot and shutdown.:thumbsup: Bruno

Well, I had already gone thru everything in the non verbose mode after posting the question because I was wondering. Unfortunately, un-checking apmd did not do it either . . . Any other ideas?Thanks,BillEdit: I just don't understand why it will restart OK, but not do a straight shut down.

Edited by BillD

Any other ideas?
Not really much we can do after this. 1). I am getting the impression that apmd is bugged ( that is why I turned it off, and somehow there is no manual way to turn it on with "# service apmd restart" nor the "# service apmd status" gives any joy )2). Can you show the result of
# service acpi status

B) Bruno

Well, this is odd. In my desktop I get:

service acpi statusModules Loaded:				ac				battery				button				container				fan				i2c_ec				processor				sbs				thermal				video

But when I do it for the laptop, I get nothing; it just returns to the

root@localhost bill]#

What is going on here?I installed the thing twice before I started personalizing it because it did the same faulty shut down after the first installation.Since this is the same disk I used when installing on both desktops, and was verified with md5 after downloading and also after burn at slow speed, it seems unlikely it has anything to do with the installation process . . .Bill

See this is kind what I was afraid of . . . there is a bug in acpi and/or apm . . :(What happens if you do

# service acpi restart

on the laptop . . do you get any output ?B) Bruno

What happens if you do
# service acpi restart

on the laptop . . do you get any output ?

No, nothing. Where is the bug . . . I assume it is in PCLos2007? I am using the rather simple minded workaround of using the nonfb boot mode as default and when it says "halted", I then just hold down the power button until it shuts off . . . B) Bill

Well, now I find out! What a mess B) Fortunately, the fan seems to run OK on this thing, but it has a Sempron CPU in it with 512 MB memory, so I doubt that their BIOS revision is applicable. Flashing BIOS leaves me cold if I can avoid it, anyway. Since the fan is running when it gets hot, I guess I should leave well enough alone!Thanks for this informative link - revolting news that it is!Bill

Ahaaa . . it is not the acpi that is buggy . . . it is the laptop :( . . . . Thanks Striker !B) Bruno