• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

My desktop system has an old HP Deskjet 5550 hooked up to it - I have it so that the grandkids can print their web based game "prizes" without blowing away all the ink in my wifi connected printer upstairs.
Recently the black #56 cartridge on the old printer ran out of ink. Since a new one costs around $40 I bought a pair of remanufactured cartridges from Amazon for $18. They tested OK but when the kids were here doing their thing this week it wasn't long before "Grandpa- the printer won't work."
I noticed that although the black cartridge still had lots of ink the printer lights kept flashing. After I took the cartridge out the printer worked with just the color cartridge - but it was slow and used a lot of color ink.
The circuitry in the refilled cartridge had failed. I dropped it in the recycle bin at Staples and got a new unused black #56 - everything returned to normal.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten." - B. Franklin

Edited by raymac46, 16 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

I had really good luck with the refills that I bought from inksmile.com for many years.

#3 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

Sometimes what could be a false economy proves to be the opposite. I have a very old Epson  printer . I had to buy a flash resetter for the cartridges which was a little dear . Hence for the last ten years I have filled the original ink pots and flashed them without problems . The 4 color refill bottles cost about 5 bucks and do about 5 refills a time . This means that the quality of the paper I get is better than the economy rubbish and still saves enough for the odd bottle of chianti .
Linux counter no . 393441

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I had good luck with aftermarket cartridges from some internet company (exact name evades me) for my Epsom the ones I bought locally never worked. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Everything I buy is the best I can afford at the time and I'm sure I've saved countless moolah over my lifetime.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#6 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

I own a 5550. I've never used 3rd party inks with this printer so I can't address your issue with that. The lights on mine blink but the printer still prints. I think it is trying to tell me 6 months before it happens that I should replace the carts. I wait until I can tell by the print quality that I need to replace. I ignore blinking light.

I have purchased 3rd party inks for an HP 722Cse. In fact, I got a black cart delivered this week. Locally at Walmart it was $50+, the only place that still carries carts for this old printer.

I paid a bit under $14 (shipping extra) for a remanufactured HP cart.
This is where I bought it
http://www.ldproducts.com/

I haven't installed it yet. I got a flashlight out and I saw that the color cart in the 722 was an LD; not 100% sure but perhaps 85% sure that the black cart is LD too.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#7 ONLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

When the light on my 5550 started blinking the printer refused to work until I took out the offending cartridge. It worked with only one cartridge in the printer caddy - though it was slow and ate up the color ink like crazy. I have hplip-gui installed so I can see the ink levels.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users