How Do I assign Write Permissions in Ubuntu

snminc

Greetings to all, I'm in the final throws of setting up a tripple boot access (PCLOS/Ubuntu/Win XP) to share a common Thunderbird folder, unfortunately I've become stumped intrying to assign user read/write access via Ubuntu to it's own partition (hda8) here's my Ubuntu Fstab# /etc/fstab: static file system information.## <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1/dev/hda5 /media/hda5 vfat iocharset=utf8,rw,umask=000 0 0/dev/hda6 /media/hda6 ext3 defaults 0 2/dev/hda8 /media/hda8 ext3 defaults 0 2/dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5 vfat iocharset=utf8,rw,umask=000 0 0/dev/hda10 none swap sw 0 0/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0I've tried various umask options from the Ubuntu forum but all I succeded in doing was losing the hda8 Icon from my Ubuntu desktop.What settings should I use to gain user read/write access in Ubuntu and how do I get the missing icon back.Thanks for reading this farS & M Inc

unfortunately I've become stumped in trying to assign user read/write access via Ubuntu to it's own partition (hda8)
??? . . . according to what I see the Ubuntu partition is /dev/hda9:
/dev/hda9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
:thumbsup: Bruno

:hmm: OOOPS, Thanks Bruno I guess it helps if I'm playing with the right Partition (Slaps self on forehead)Although from what I've read the hda9 Partition should have read/write access because of the defaults settingdev/hda9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1Oh well time to play againwatch out for more falling satellites :hmm: S & M

Although from what I've read the hda9 Partition should have read/write access because of the defaults settingdev/hda9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
Yes indeed it does . . . but for "root" . . . . . . all Linux formatted partitions on your system ( excluding /home ) are only rw for root. . . . . . . . or . . . or you will have to assign UID and GID values in the fstab . . .BUT: a little warning is in its place here, see, the / partition of your Ubuntu is only writable for root with a good ( security ) reason, now, would you want to give up that security for the / partitions of other distros you multiboot ? ( like hda9 ? )Is it really that hard to "sudo" before writing to that mounted partition ?:hysterical: Bruno

Greetings Bruno, Thanks for your words of wisdom. I think I've been coming at this problem from the wrong angle. I've re-read Boilertecks advice for my PCLos partition and will try another approach.Incidently I've discovered hda8 was a /Home partition set up by PCLos, Ubuntu doesn't appear to be using it, I was hoping to have a 'common' /Home between PCLos and Ubuntu. Can this be done or am I chasing the clouds again.As always all advice, wisdom and gentle jests gratefully receivedS & M

Incidently I've discovered hda8 was a /Home partition set up by PCLos, Ubuntu doesn't appear to be using it, I was hoping to have a 'common' /Home between PCLos and Ubuntu. Can this be done or am I chasing the clouds again.
No no my friend . . . sharing the /home between two distros is not really a good idea . . . :) . . . only if they both would use the excact same versions of all software installed ( highly unlikely ) they could share the settings.Additional remark: If you copy/move a file ( as root ) from one /home to another /home you might have to re-set ownership of that file once booted in in the other distro with "chown -R <user>:<group> <name_of_file_or_directory>":w00t: Bruno

Many Thanks Bruno, I'd wanted a common location for all the office files, since a common /home is so ill advised I'll use a common Partition so that all documents/spreadsheets will be accesible reguardless of OS.I'm planing on installing Openoffice on my PCLos partition so that whether I'm booted into PCLos or Ubuntu I'll be able to access the same files. I'd thought about adding Koffice to Ubuntu but I don't want to bring in half of the KDE dependenciesI'm glad someone is here to keep me on the straight and narrowA LITTLE knowledge in the wrong hands is an incedibly dangerous thing!!Thanks, S & M

Yep you could make a separate partition and have the mountpoint /home/snminc/Documents for it and have that partition mounted in every distro you install.To assure you have the correct permissions when it mounts that /home/snminc/Documents at boot, it is easiest to set it up right from the start when you install the distro. ( Most installer allow you to go in such detail )If you want to set it up once all distros are already instaled., it is a little more work but it still can be done, you will most likely have to add the UID and GID in the fstab line you add to make sure it is writable and readable for the user. ( You will discover that the UID and GID are sometimes very differnet values from one distro to another . . but that is the fun of Linux :w00t: ):) Bruno

Many Thanks Bruno, As my signature says 'Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons with the greatest for the last'There goes another Brain Cell.Thanks, S & M

Hey Boilerteck, I got myself in a bit of a fankle with various mount points but we've finally achieved lift-off :whistling: PCLos/Ubuntu/WinXP can all now access the same set of bookmarks in Firefox and all access the same e-mail accounts through Thunderbird.I've also managed to import all my old e-mails from Incredimail (After wanting to launch the monitor through the window a few times!! :whistling: So my deepest thanks to all those who've offered advice, wisdom and encouragement.Tis greatly appreciatedS & M