Firefox 10 Released

Corrine

Mozilla released Firefox 10 today, including a major update that will make both developers as well as Firefox users happy -- default compatibility of almost all add-ons.

Although default compatibility of add-ons will make a lot of people happy, this change is "prioritized as a P1 and part of achieving 'silent update'." as indicated in the feature tracking entry of "Add-ons Default to Compatible" in Mozilla Wiki.

Additional information and links to Bug Fixes, Security Update, etc. Mozilla Firefox 10 Released, Includes Security Update

V.T. Eric Layton

I got so tired of bumping extensions with all these new versions every other week that I fixed mine so they're good to version 20. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I got so tired of bumping extensions with all these new versions every other week that I fixed mine so they're good to version 20. ;)

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am tired of this constant updating. The rapid release schedule is turning out to be a bigger PITA than I anticipated. Firefox version 10.0.2 was just released 2 days ago.

Guest LilBambi

I am very happy for the current release schedule. It makes it more like Chrome which means it can more quickly respond to threats.

I think that's a good thing.

I am very happy for the current release schedule. It makes it more like Chrome which means it can more quickly respond to threats.

I think that's a good thing.

On that one, I have to agree.

But before they started this whole thing w/ the rapid release schedule, all I did to update Firefox was to use the updater functionality in the browser. (As long as it was within the same version number - for instance 3.6.24 to 3.6.28). Now it's somewhat different. I'm having to do a clean install of a new version every month or so. And as Eric mentioned above, there's additional hassle of making sure or 'tweaking' my add-ons to ensure compatibility.

Edited by Tushman

Guest LilBambi

No need. If you have Firefox open long enough and you have it set to get updates automatically, it will.

How do I update Firefox?

By default, Firefox is configured to automatically check for updates for itself and notify you when one is available. When prompted, just click OK and the newest version will be downloaded and installed on your computer. You'll need to restart Firefox to begin using the new version.

You are also able to check for updates manually. For details, check out the step-by-step guide.

You can also check for updates for Firefox by going to the Help, About Firefox, check for updates. If there is an update, it will download and present you with an apply update button.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Updati...eck_for_updates

Check for updates:

2011-01-31-08-29-31-e245f8.png

Apply updates:

2011-01-31-08-29-58-257af4.png

No need. If you have Firefox open long enough and you have it set to get updates automatically, it will.

You can also check for updates for Firefox by going to the Help, About Firefox, check for updates. If there is an update, it will download and present you with an apply update button.

Yes I know there is an auto update feature in Firefox, I have it turned off on my computers. I prefer uninstalling the old version and doing a manual upgrade of the application in between major version numbers.

Edited by Tushman

I'm with you, Tushman. I don't want any program except my A/V automatically updating. The reason is that it is my computer and I want to know what is happening. If something goes wrong, I'll know where to point the finger.

Guest LilBambi

I agree totally! I don't have it auto updating, but I go to About Firefox/Thunderbird and choose to check when i am ready. Preferably after a backup of bookmarks, email etc.

Guest LilBambi
The "major" updates now aren't as major as they used to be.

Exactly! That's part of what they have been fixing.

The only time you should still uninstall and reinstall is if you are helping someone who is still on a 3.x.x version! Once you get past version 4.x, the internal updater works great.