BEST DISTRO 2014

securitybreach

securitybreach

Can you guess the winner? (Starts with an "A")

BEST DISTRO 2014

Is your current Linux distribution really the best in town, or are you missing something even better?

We’re going to get a lot of flak for writing these words, but we’re not scared – Linux Voice drops ice cubes down the vest of fear. So here we go: you might be using

the wrong Linux distribution. Or to put it more diplomatically, you might not be running the distro that’s best suited to you. “What a load of codswallop!”, you respond. “My distro does exactly what I need it to do. I’ve been using it for years and I’m happy with it.”

That’s great, but could it still do a lot more? Have you really tried all of the big-name distros in depth? Could there be another distro out there that’s better than yours in a key area such as security, performance or documentation? Is your distro really the best when you’re trying to convert newbies to Linux? It’s good to settle on a single distro and learn its ins-and-outs, but given the rapid pace of development in Linux, it’s always worth keeping your eyes open for something better.

With all these things in mind, we decided to look at the current state of play in the Linux distro world. We wanted to see which distros excel in certain important areas, to find out who’s leading the charge here in mid-late 2014.

In tests like these, it’s often possible to bundle certain distros together as they’re so closely related. In the Packages section, for instance, we look at Ubuntu and Mint together because they share the same repositories. In any case, we want to give you all the information you need to make an informed choice about the best distro for you. So if the one you’re currently using comes up tops in the categories important to you – congratulations! And if not, fire up VirtualBox and start exploring…

http://www.linuxvoic.../linux-distros/

Honestly, I've been running SuSE (since it was just SuSE) since 2004. It suits me, and while I'm glad there's choice out there for others, I have no desire to change anything. If it ain't broke . . .

• Like 2

LOL...loved the comments...but if I read between the lines correctly, that was the real reason for the article. The actual value of the article ...well not to much IMO.

Ah. Yeah, updating openSUSE with YaST is kinda slow. I ran Sabayon for some time here, and those updates seemed to take forever, by comparison!

Other than that, I think YaST is pretty cool. I'm still running openSUSE 12.3 -- decided to try to keep it going until its EOL, or close to it. My experiences with openSUSE don't go back that far -- I ran 12.1 and 12.2 before this release. Initial installation and set-up has been a bit of a hassle, then things have been quite problem-free after that.

As for the article, I have a hard time calling any distro "the best." Seems like there are always so many pros and cons. I'd say that I like Debian and Arch the most, but I've also had good luck with the Ubuntu LTS releases (going all the way back to 6.06).

• Like 2

Is your current Linux distribution really the best in town, or are you missing something even better?

Well I probably have the best in town os. My choice of programs running on it seems to be my main problem at the moment. Ha ha.

Quirky little article, a fun view of linux.

posted from my Makulu set up due to technical problems with the best os. :Laughing:

I would pretty much agree with the article. In a perfect world of isolation I'd use Arch. But since I'm living with a computerphobe and I need to help others with Linux adoption and use, I choose Mint.

• Like 1

What kind of problems are you having?

Well I had a quite successful new Arch install with just a couple of settings needing to be tweaked. Then I tried to set up Spacefm to allow mounting by me as a user instead of having to use root. Things went down hill from there on. Part of me problems may be that I kept my old Arch around so I had two Arch /home etc etc . I fiddled and twiddled so much that I eventually had the strangest screen when switching the pc on which allowed me to do zip nada aprt from switching of the pc and trying again. I was going to throw in the towel and reinstall btu when I switch the pc on it beeps once and gives me a black screen, no bios no boot no nufink.

At that point I switched to Makulu on my travelling pc.

Recon the new(secondhand) cpu I got has fried or died which is a real pain. Loss of very valuable funds and time spent lapping and building etc etc. With recent events I have not had the heart to troubleshoot.

You can not keep a fighting viking down for long though.I got wasted wallowed in pity and despair, did the woe is me stuff to perfection and am now ready to seriously kick some ass. o:)

• Like 2