• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

I haven't used an Apple product since 1989 so we can assume I know nothing.

I'll be mailing out 6 files to people. Some of them use iPads and MACs and powerbooks, I suspect.

I emailed the files zipped last night to one person. She couldn't open the zip. She is either using an older version of Windows or an Apple. This morning I emailed one file in its original pdf format. Can Apples open pdf? If not, what do I need to do so people can see this file? (I have no access to an Apple computer to convert it or install a pdf reader). Also assume that the people who receive the files are not computer literate so getting them to install something, is not a road I wish to take.

What do I convert the file to on a Windows computer so I can send it and it is ready to open and read on an Apple computer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well I just got an email back and she managed to unzip the attachment, open and print out the pdf files. She didn't tell me a thing about her computer so I don't know what she has.

I still need some info on Apple products because I will be sending these out to quite a few people and I know some will have problems.

Edited by zlim, 15 June 2015 - 10:32 AM.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

No nowt about apples but it seems they have a pretty spiffy free pdf tool available.

There are plenty of ways to view and edit PDFs on a Mac, but Apple's built-in Preview application is phenomenal and often overlooked. While Lion didn't wow the crowd with most of its features, it brought some amazing additions to Apple's PDF viewer/editor that puts it over the top and makes it our choice for the best.

http://lifehacker.co...reditor-for-mac

:fish:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

I'm not clear if it is included or it has to be downloaded and installed. If it has to be downloaded and installed, I won't suggest it.
Liz
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

View Postzlim, on 16 June 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm not clear if it is included or it has to be downloaded and installed. If it has to be downloaded and installed, I won't suggest it.

Well it says " Apple's built-in Preview application" so guess it is installed. :fish:
Install ARCH

#5 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:59 PM

While Lion didn't wow the crowd with most of its features, it brought some amazing additions to Apple's PDF viewer/editor
Mountain Lion was introduced in 2011. (10.7)
Is this still part of Mavericks or Yosemite?
All I know are the names. I know nothing about OS X and all the version updates.
Liz
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

View Postzlim, on 16 June 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

While Lion didn't wow the crowd with most of its features, it brought some amazing additions to Apple's PDF viewer/editor
Mountain Lion was introduced in 2011. (10.7)
Is this still part of Mavericks or Yosemite?
All I know are the names. I know nothing about OS X and all the version updates.

Can't help any further as I just did a quick google to see what it threw up. Seems that article was from 2011. Here is a more up to date guide from Apple itself,

Learn more

To learn more about Preview, choose Preview Help from the Help menu in Preview.
Last Modified: Jun 10, 2015

https://support.appl.../en-gb/HT201740

:fish:
Install ARCH

#7 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thank you.
I may have to put some pdfs on an Apple computer on Friday so I shall at least have the name of a program Preview.
Liz
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

As long as they are standard pdf files, Preview can handle them.

If they need to fill a form or something like that, they will need Adobe Reader.

It is very nice having a program like Preview that can handle PDFs, and pretty much any image file you throw at it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#9 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Fran but the date was last Friday.
Liz
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Oh, well. I wasn't here then. Been nuts around here.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users