• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Sounds good. Glad to hear they will help you if you bring it in.

I look forward to hearing how that goes.

Thanks for letting us know.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#27 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

hi, larrynose, and a belated welcome to scot's forums! (if i welcomed you before, well, welcome again! :D  )
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hello,

Out of curiosity, have you tried running an anti-malware program on the Mac to see if it reported anything?  Some of them check for other things besides OS X worms and trojans (which are very scarce), such as malicious browser plugins, DNS redirecting scripts and so forth.

AVG, ClamXav and Sophos all offer free versions, and many other vendors like BitDefender, Dr. Web, ESET, F-Secure, Intego, Kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec and Trend Micro offer commercial programs for which free evaluation copies are available.

Perhaps one of those programs will turn up something.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#29 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Speaking of Antivirus software for the Mac. ESET Cybersecurity is awesome and one I actually use.

But there is also a free one in the App Store called Virus Barrier Express. It is an on demand antivirus.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#30 OFFLINE   larrynose

larrynose

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

View Postgoretsky, on 26 February 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

Hello,

Out of curiosity, have you tried running an anti-malware program on the Mac to see if it reported anything?  Some of them check for other things besides OS X worms and trojans (which are very scarce), such as malicious browser plugins, DNS redirecting scripts and so forth.

AVG, ClamXav and Sophos all offer free versions, and many other vendors like BitDefender, Dr. Web, ESET, F-Secure, Intego, Kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec and Trend Micro offer commercial programs for which free evaluation copies are available.

Perhaps one of those programs will turn up something.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Nah. Didn't think of it. I was under the "perception" that macs dont really need any av's or am's as there are no mass exploits that you hear about. I'll run them up before I take it to the store though.

View PostLilBambi, on 26 February 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Speaking of Antivirus software for the Mac. ESET Cybersecurity is awesome and one I actually use.

But there is also a free one in the App Store called Virus Barrier Express. It is an on demand antivirus.

I think I'll go for ESET once the mac is all clean. Thanks again for the tips guys.
Alas, a brawling lad I am not, but a mere woman. Thus my weapons must be my wit and tongue.

#31 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm glad to hear that Apple is willing to work on your computer.  As to Macs and viruses, you may be interested in following the blog maintained by David Harley (an ESET Senior Research Fellow), Mac Virus | The Official Mac Virus blogsite.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users