What Is Your Age Category?

teacher

What is your age category?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Runners brag about their age, but group them in categories. Here in the privacy of a poll, let's find out a little about our overall forum members. Save the cheating for your comments! :D I tell students older than dirt!

My race category?????? I think they call mine...... last. Never did understand why they were in such a hurry. It's not like there was a beer waiting for you or anything.Hey I voted 30's and it put me into the 40's.....whats up with that??? I still got 5 years left in the 30's.....10 if I take my time!!!!!

Edited by Stryder

In my humble opinion there is only ONE race, the Human race. The "hu" in human stands for Divine. Enjoy what's left of your weekend, Acadia.

jbredmound

My race category is Stockcar...I used to run in the Human Race, but I blew a Nike on the 5th lap and hit the wall.Seriously, I often have this feeling that Jane Goodall is watching me...

My race category?????? I think they call mine...... last. Never did understand why they were in such a hurry. It's not like there was a beer waiting for you or anything.
Being married to a runner, I have yet to figure it out. I tried it. I found out there were better things in life. I used to tell people they paid me to come in last in a race so they would not feel bad for me. People even believed me. Told them noone wanted to read their name in the paper as coming in last....Sure does help keep the husband young though.
  Hey I voted 30's and it put me into the 40's.....whats up with that??? I still got 5 years left in the 30's.....10 if I take my time!!!!!
Stryder, I built a lie detector into the poll, didn't you know? B) :D

Guest LilBambi

LOL! Had to answer quick ... the way time flies around here, it could change before I have a chance to blink! B) Races ... hmmm ... let me see ... we used to race down the hill with our home made racers when we were kids (and it was a goooood hill too!).My father made me one with buggy wheels, an old crate and tuna cans for headlights! No brakes of course ... LOL! Got a picture of it somewhere around here .... rummage, rummage .......... LOL! :D

LilBambiSounds like you were raised right. Nothing like a little creativity to find ways to have fun. Remember when kids were told to go outside to play and not to come back in until called?We did more sledding down our hill growing up than anything else. Hated trying to ride my bike up it on my paperroute? Remember kids on bikes delivering papers? Who would think it would be adults with cars now? Must of been those child labor laws then enacted way back in the dark ages. :lol:

Julia,

Remember when kids were told to go outside to play and not to come back in until called? ... Remember kids on bikes delivering papers?
It's like you've been sitting in on discussions I've been having with my 11-year-old. I started cooking for myself (light stuff) when I was six or seven. At 11, my boy can't even make a sandwich, let alone boil water. He can't use a knife (at least, not without supervision). He only started sitting in the front seat of the car a few months ago. He laughs when I talk about how I worked from 8 yrs. old and up at things like paper routes, fixing bicycles, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, baby-sitting, raking leaves, pet-feeding, and a whole mess of other stuff. We worked because that's how we got money to buy what we needed and because everyone worked.I'm actually really concerned about this new generation (these "whipper-snappers"). Everything is just handed to them, and parents are stuck in a viscious cycle because increasingly laws are being enacted that force them, for child safety and other reasons, to adhere to this heavily shifted social "norm."When I was a kid, I'd get $3 to mow a big lawn, $2 for an average lawn. I got no dollars for mowing my own lawn (yeah, it was priceless). That was just part of my set of responsibilities. My boy gets $10 to mow his Mom's lawn. He was bragging to me the other day that it only takes him 20-25 minutes. Ok, so there's inflation. But I am seriously concerned that he's going to run into difficulty when he goes out into the great wide world because he's just learned not to do anything more than he has to.Shoot. I just gave away my age, didn't I. I'm in my twenties, I swear. :lol: -- Scot

I'm in my twenties, I swear.
Scot, the ¨cheating allowed¨ is in another thread ! :lol: Bruno

Now Bruno, you can always cheat about your age, just not in my poll. Scot, it looks like we charged the same amount for mowing lawns..... It made my Dad mad that my Mom thought we should hold jobs. He thought it was unbecoming. I am glad my soon to be 19 year old daughter has worked a steady job since she was 14 in the summers. She takes the school years off, but works in the summer.I thought it was horrible that in Missouri the last few years the cheapest I could get my very small yeard (yup, 25 minutes would include edging, weed-eating the embankment, etc.) was about $25. Kids here at the ocean are used to working, but they make big money for a kid. You can hardly hire one at a store for much less than $10 an hour. I have students that go out and work their boats and come back from the weekend earning $3000. I don't think they figure in cost of boat, commercial fishing license, gas, wear and tear, etc. Oh well.Cheating on age. It just dawned on me I have been doing what my mother did in her lifetime. Just subtract the year of birth from the current year and don't worry about whether you have had your birthday yet or not. I have been telling folks I am 47 for months now and it just dawned on me the other day I am not there yet. Oops, I just gave away my age, didn't I? Gentle readers, color me red with embarrassment. Scot so kindly told me on the side that my naming of this thread could have been misconstrued as referring to one's race. I am so color blind it did not occur to me.<_< Thanks for the fix Scot.

I guess i'm the only one under 20 here....
Sonic Dragon Glad you are here. We need a few of you around that have grown up in the age of computers. You are the ones that keep us on our toes.

SonicDragon
I guess i'm the only one under 20 here....
Sonic Dragon Glad you are here. We need a few of you around that have grown up in the age of computers. You are the ones that keep us on our toes.
Awww thanks!But, i bet you get enough of us at school right?

Sonic DragonActually, because I am in an alternative school, my worse problems are students that get into the control panel and all they change is the background. I just tell them no rock stars and no actors/actresses. I have yet to have a computer nerd student. But then again, I have been in very small schools lately (we have less than 30 students in our school).It was fun when I taught web design and basic web animation though. I found my foreign exchange students were the mostly likely to be brave and adventuresome. I think it was just the shool district though.Keep posting.

muckshifter

I just voted and was surprised to see the results ... now I DO FEEL OLD. :) Does this mean I can call you all "young whipper-snappers" Mucks wonders off muttering "I don't think I should have voted with my real age" ..... :o

Guest LilBambi

teacher --

Sounds like you were raised right. Nothing like a little creativity to find ways to have fun. Remember when kids were told to go outside to play and not to come back in until called?
You mean that wasn't just my parents (with 6 kids) that did that? LOL!Scot --
I'm actually really concerned about this new generation (these "whipper-snappers"). Everything is just handed to them, and parents are stuck in a viscious cycle because increasingly laws are being enacted that force them, for child safety and other reasons, to adhere to this heavily shifted social "norm."
Sad, but often true. And as teacher was saying, you just don't really see kids delivering newspapers on bikes anymore. It is hard sometimes for kids to actually find something to do to make money if they live in too rural of an area.I think getting into band was the one single most important thing that helped our son (he plays trumpet). It gave him a sense of responsibility and accomplishment that is hard for kids to get ahold of these days otherwise. (He also went on to play in the band while he was in the AF wherever he was stationed.)And now at 24, he works two jobs and still finds time for computing, music, spending time with friends, gaming (both online and off). There is always hope! :o Sonic Dragon --I am sure there are some others your age here too ... maybe they are just not as honest as you are ;)I undestand you play the piano ... great instrument!muckshifter --Great to see ya, don't think we've seen ya for a while. And you can call us whipper snappers any ole day ... it will make my day! :)

Gentle readers, color me red with embarrassment.  Scot so kindly told me on the side that my naming of this thread could have been misconstrued as referring to  one's race.  I am so color blind it did not occur to me.:o    Thanks for the fix Scot.
And color me "stupid". I was puzzled as to why everyone was talking about "running". LOLAcadia.

muckshifter

LilBambi,I've been a little busy over the other side of the pond here in the UK with ...www.muckshifter.co.uk/iboard :o Sorry, I'm not Spamming ... no really I'm not ... blame Scot, it was one of his Newsletters that said something about Invision and I just had to have a look. :) It just proves that you can teach an OLD DOG new tricks. :lol:Oh … if the link offends, then please delete. No transgression intended. Mucks

Guest Paracelsus

I'm on the cusp, so I voted for the lower grouping. Just a few more months and I'll be in Hawaii**(Five-O, that is) :) :o

SonicDragon
Sonic DragonActually, because I am in an alternative school, my worse problems are students that get into the control panel and all they change is the background.  I just tell them no rock stars and no actors/actresses.  I have yet to have a computer nerd student.  But then again, I have been in very small schools lately (we have less than 30 students in our school).It was fun when I taught web design and basic web animation though.  I found my foreign exchange students were the mostly likely to be brave and adventuresome.  I think it was just the shool district though.Keep posting.
I ment our age group, but computer geeks works just fine too :lol: :P ;) sry for the confusion

SonicDragon
And color me "stupid".  I was puzzled as to why everyone was talking about "running". LOLAcadia.
I know the feeling :lol: I was wondering the same thing. LOL. I think i need more sleep!

Okay, we just want to keep you on your toes. Being married to a hard-core runner, I have funny terminology. Sonic Dragon - I thought Iwas talking about your age group. You know how old teachers are, they get off on a tangent and get lost and the whole class goes "Yeah, we just killed a whole class period without doing anything!"

Mucks wonders off muttering "I don't think I should have voted with my real age" .....
Hey, I lied. You should too. No, wait, I mean, I subtracted my foot size from my IQ and wound up ... with a negative number? Wait. No, I ... Julia! What did I do?* * *And SonicDragon, trust me in this, LOTS of SFNL readers are in their 20s. You are very definitely not alone. I'd say about a third of the newsletter's audience is in that age group based on years of emails with literally thousands of different readers. I don't ask everyone their age, but I've gotten friendly with many folks. Age groupings are all over the map.Some of our Mods are in their early 20s too, although I can't tell you who without asking them first.-- Scot

I'm in my twenties... 23 to be exact... So you're definitely not alone in being a "whipper-snapper" (haven't heard that one in awhile Muckshifter)... B) I was one of those hard-working kids... I delivered grocery-store flyers when I was 10, got a paper route when I was 11 (walked or bike), and then worked as a grocery sacker when I turned 14... I worked a steady job all through high school, and always had to mow my lawn (never got paid for it)... I also went through the ranks of Boy Scouts (best thing I ever did), and learned a ton about living... I can cook well, and am quite proficient with a knife! ;) If there's one thing my son (if I have one) will do, he will go through the scouting program... I'm very proud to be an Eagle Scout, and would hope my future son(s) will feel the same! B)

LilBambi - I believe the rural areas offers an advantage - jobs dont come often for kids and they realize that, and if they want to keep it they have to perform, other wise someone else is waiting to take it. I told my son if he wants the things he wants he is gonna have to earn them and he is taking on summer jobs and odd jobs where he can to earn his spendy money. I had to do it as a teenager and survived, so I am sure my 3 kids will. Oh by the way I am stuck at forever 30 untill I reach retirement :D

SonicDragon
And SonicDragon, trust me in this, LOTS of SFNL readers are in their 20s.
... i'm in that under 20 catagory :D But thanks for the support :)

and ANY sports car could be had for $3000.and that was only 25 years ago.
That reminded me of something that happened to me when I was about 12 or 13 and starting to get interested in automobiles. I was going somewhere with my father and I saw an automobile that I did not recognize. I said, "Dad, what kind of a car is that?" He said, "Thats' a Mercedes Benz. Now you're not going to believe this, but that car cost over $7000". I distinctly remember my reply: "OH MY GOD!"Acadia.