No Boot Disk, Now what

goldwing

Given that you are online, I guess you have a usable PC. Presumably it's not running Win98 or you would create a boot disc on this PC. Most new drives come with a floppy utility for setting up the new drive. If you don't have it, try using Seagate' DiscWizard fromhttp://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.htmlwhich might get you going. You'll need a couple of floppies.Or you could modify the BIOS to boot first from the CDROM and try to load Win98 that way. If it's an upgrade, you'll need to show it an older version of Windows; seem to remember there was a work around for that which involved artificially creating a small file.If that doesn't work, post another message and ask somebody to e-mail you the contents of a Win98 boot disc, copy it to a floppy and tada.Bit close to my bedtime so I might not be back tonight.Have fun!Cheers, Andy

Guest ComputerBob
...If that doesn't work, post another message and ask somebody to e-mail you the contents of a Win98 boot disc, copy it to a floppy and tada...
I don't think that would work, because, if I remember correctly, the hidden system files on a boot disk need to be in the boot disk's master boot record (a specific place on the boot disk).You could, however, have someone who uses Win98 make and give/send you a Win98 boot floppy. I use Win98SE, and I'd be willing to send you one if you can't find anyone locally. ;)

Guest ComputerBob

Hi ENTWIEDEMALA,Your suggestion reminded me that I have two other boot disk sites on my site's PC Support page. I just added Bootdisk.com to that section, with a "tip o' the hat" to you for suggesting it:Ultimate Boot Disk - (1 MB - Freeware) This download creates a bootable floppy disk that can start up your Windows PC, scan it for viruses, restore your System files, extract files from a CD, identify your hardware, test the hard drive, do quick Windows installs, and more. Bart's Boot Disks is an entire Web site devoted to teaching you how to create all kinds of boot disks. Bootdisk.com has downloadable boot disks for many different versions of DOS and Windows, along with links to sites that have device drivers, updates, etc. (Thanks, ENTWIEDEMALA)