Why Programs are Installed in Different Places

bongski55

;) I am an amature programmer,making small softwares as a hobby. From what I observed,mainstream applications are installed in such a way that different files go to different places,mostly to the windows system folder.also programs modify the registry. My question is-why can't programs be made in such a way that all files are only in one place(folder)? In this way,we can avoid or minimize problems in case we remove the program-no leftover dlls and a clean registry.

Yes there are a lot of NON MAINSTREAM programs(mine included) that are installed in a single folder.I am talking about the likes of OfficeXP,Norton AV,etc.

My guess would be that it's much easier for the OS to find the files it needs if they're all located in one place, rather than in separate folders. Plus, the System32 or System (depends on version of OS) folders normally have their contents hidden so that they can't be accidentally deleted. Another reason would have to do with the size of the Program installs. The fewer files that have to be installed, the faster the setup will run and the smaller the install footprint. Could you imagine if every APP you installed had some of the same DLL's that other APPS also installed?You'd probably have multiple version conflicts. And, if a program was missing a file, what happens when it looks in other folders for "that" file? May work. May not work. Your PC could explode! Alright, that's a little too extreme, but, you get the idea.Isaac~