Photo

Arch Wiki -- Boinc -- mistake ???

Today, 09:16 AM

Posted by abarbarian in Bruno's All Things Linux
So I decided to set up BOINC on me Arch. Of I went to the wiki and followed the instructions.

Seemed simple enough.

Install the boinc program.

Create a boinc group.

Add meself to the boinc group. The wiki gives this command which I do not fully understand.

# usermod -a -G boinc $(whoami)

It is the last part I do not recognise. So I used a different method.

Start the boinc.service.

So far so good. I checked that I had done all the initial set up, made the group,added members to the group and checked the service was running.

Not being a geek I wanted to use the gui option so followed the wiki as below,

$ cd ~/
$ ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg
# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

Which does not work.
It creates a symlink which does not work and you can not alter the permissions to make it work. So is the wiki is wrong or am I missing something.

To get boinc working after the initial set up phase I did ,

# cd /var/lib/boinc

# cp gui_rpc_auth.cfg /home/youruser

# cd /home/youruser

# chmod 440 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

# ls -l gui_rpc_auth.cfg

-r--r----- 1 boinc boinc 32 Jul 20 13:04 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

That got me a working gui and boinc is running and producing results.

I do not want boinc running at full speed or at the default of 60% so I made some changes,

To set cpu usage to less than the default 60% you need to alter " /var/lib/boinc/global_prefs.xml"

Both sections "global prefferences" and "venue name="home". I set mine to

"<cpu_usage_limit>10.0</cpu_usage_limit>"

I also did this

# systemctl enable boinc

Which makes boinc run when I boot the pc. I have turned the pc of and on twice and boinc starts and runs without any intervention so it looks like I have a automatically working boinc.

So I have a boinc that sort of works but I have questions.

Posted Image

As you can see above the "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" in /var/lib/boinc is set at 600. I set the copied file in my home to 440. I could not see why the file neede to be changed so I made it read only.

Does the file need to have write permissions ?

Boinc starts when I boot and runs. Only for so long , every now and againg it stops and tells me "Suspended comptuer not in use"  which is ridiculous as I am working on the pc. I can start it again with "systemctl start boinc" but that is not ideal. When boinc stops I have left it to see if it will restart but as far as I can tell it does not.

What can I do to keep boinc running ?

Lastly and this is not important but it is puzling. When I first got the gui up  viewing the "advanced view" looking at the "disk" tab I had a graphic showing. Now the graphic has disappeared.

Where has the graphic gone and can I get it back ?

Any comments or help would be most welcome.

:breakfast:

13 Views · 3 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Photo

Where are the fixes to the botched Outlook security patches?

Today, 08:39 AM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

On June 13—five and a half weeks ago—Microsoft released a series of buggy patches for Outlook. We know they’re buggy because Microsoft acknowledged seven bugs (including one primarily caused by bugs in Windows patches) in those four original June 13 security patches. As of this morning, we still don’t have fixes for those seven bugs.

Here are the known buggy original security patches:

• KB 3191898 – Security update for Outlook 2007, released June 13, 2017
  • KB 3203467 – Security update for Outlook 2010, released June 13
  • KB 3191938 – Security update for Outlook 2013, June 13
  • KB 3191932 – Security update for Outlook 2016, June 13

If you have Automatic Update turned on, you were treated not only to those patches, but to all of these three later, interim fixes for the bugs in the security patches. Don't get too excited about them. In fact, they didn't fix the bugs:

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Because isn't that the obvious way to install it?

Today, 06:00 AM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

IT consultant pilot fish is brought in to provide IT support for a company with a whole raft of problems -- not all of which are immediately obvious.

"This client was a rat's nest of previous mistakes," says fish. "But over time, we fixed everything -- we replaced the aged server and slow, unreliable Internet connection, we implemented a new firewall with full VPN capabilities, and we replaced old workstations.

"Everything was great -- except the one workstation used by an old, crusty and crotchety employee."

And because she's a key employee in the office, when she gripes about a problem, it has to be fixed. Her complaint: that her workstation is so slow that it's practically unusable.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

1 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

2 members, 53 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, zlim, Bing, Yahoo, securitybreach

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS