#1 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Greetings....

I've been wanting to do VirtualBox again but didn't want to try and install it with the Slack pkgs....so I remembered some of you using QEMU.  I searched the Slackware 14.1 repository, downloaded and installed qmenu and aqemu.  Aqemu is a graphical interface to QEMU and KVM emulators.  I made a directory called "virtual" and copied a few iso's I had to that new directory.  Back at the terminal I entered "agemu" and viola! I'm seeing something similar to virtualbox.  Only problem was I hadn't a clue as to what needed to be done in order to get a virtual machine up and running.  So I searched youtube.....one of the hits brought me to https://www.youtube....h?v=JvkL3B475cE.  In his example he doesn't use aqemu.  What he did was:
qemu -hda virtualdisk.img -cdrom *.iso -boot d
I tried that but get an error message saying I didn't have qemu!  I did have qemu-kvm, so I tried:
qemu-kvm -hda virtualdisk.img -cdrom *.iso -boot d
And voila DSL booted up!  Cool!!  Now I just need to learn how to get control of my mouse when I end a session!  lol

update:  Just discovered how to get control of my mouse.....
alt-ctrl-g

Edited by wa4chq, 16 August 2018 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image
REGISTERED LINUX USER #547579

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

virt-manager is much easier to use.

Just follow this https://wiki.archlin...dex.php/libvirt
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

securitybreach, on 16 August 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I just had a look, boy...that didn't look as easy as qemu-kvm......  I'll look at it again....

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

wa4chq, on 16 August 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

securitybreach, on 16 August 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I just had a look, boy...that didn't look as easy as qemu-kvm......  I'll look at it again....

Actually virt-manager runs all the long qemu commands for you. It is similar to how virtualbox looks and acts.

Its basically a gui for qemu commands

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

These are just images from the net as I am at work right now and servers are at home

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

securitybreach, on 16 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

These are just images from the net as I am at work right now and servers are at home

Posted Image

Posted Image
thanks SB...I just saw this.  I will look to see if the Slack packages have virt-manager....I'm sure they do....

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Here are shots from servers:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Also, I connect to these over ssh to my headless servers but you can also do these locally on your machine as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users