Huawei RTN and its mangement ip address 129.9.3.239/16 ?

zillah

Dear Experts

I have worked with Huawei RTN 950 (microwave transmission equipment)

https://www.huawei.c...e/en_rtn950.htm

Huawei is largest Chinese telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world according to :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

Auto discovery RTN software that we need to install on our laptop called WEBLCT in the link below and that software shows that RTN ip address is 129.9.3.239/16

https://imgur.com/a/QHIoxXG

To access it locally via a management Ethernet port we have to assign the ip address for our laptop to be same network address of the RTN something like 129.9.3.241/16 to establish connectivity

When I ping this ip address 129.9.3.239/16 it got ping successfullyd then I can access RTN via the utility /software that as installed on a laptop

My question isn't this ip address is public not a private address ? How can that be assigned for local access ?

Thx

Thanks

Edited by zillah

Thanks Admin

I don't if Huawei had purchase ip addresses below :

ip lookup showing

Source: whois.arin.net

IP Address: 129.9.3.239

Name: CHRYSLER-NET

Handle: NET-129-9-0-0-1

Registration Date: 6/18/87

Range: 129.9.0.0-129.9.255.255

Org: Chrysler Group LLC

Org Handle: CHRYS-2-Z

Address: Chrysler Group LLC

Network Services Department

CIMS 489-01-01

1075 W. Entrance Drive

City: Auburn Hills

State/Province: MI

Postal Code: 48326

Huawei was founded in 1987

I just found the link that is related to my first post

http://support.huawe...81?section=j008

Procedure

1. Start a laptop and log in to the operating system.

2. Set the IP address of the laptop.

The IP address must meet the following requirements:
    • The IP address is in the same network segment (the default network segment is 129.9.0.0) as the NE IP address, but is different from the NE IP address.

• Its subnet mask is the same as that of the NE IP address (the default subnet mask is 255.255.0.0).

• The default gateway IP address is blank.

[*]Use a network cable to connect the network interface of the laptop and the NMS/COM interface of the system control, cross-connect, and timing board.

My confusion why would public ip addresses be used for a local access ?

Edited by zillah

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm going to have the analyze this for a bit. I don't have time right now. Walking out the door. I'll be back...

V.T. Eric Layton
My question isn't this ip address is public not a private address ? How can that be assigned for local access ?

Yes, 129.*.*.* is definitely in the public IP range ( Class B )

http://www.vlsm-calc.net/ipclasses.php

It can be used as a private (in house) address because it has been specifically assigned to an entity by ARIN:

Direct Assignment: IP address space assigned directly from ARIN to an organization for its own exclusive use.

*See this link, under heading "Nets" --> https://www.arin.net...abase_text.html

From a whois query:

NetRange:	 129.9.0.0 - 129.9.255.255
CIDR:		 129.9.0.0/16
NetName:	 CHRYSLER-NET
NetHandle:	 NET-129-9-0-0-1
Parent:		 NET129 (NET-129-0-0-0-0)
NetType:	 Direct Assignment

This Net is a direct assignment (exclusive use) granted to Chrysler by ARIN.

Hope that answers your question, Zillah. :)

• Like 2

This Net is a direct assignment (exclusive use) granted to Chrysler by ARIN.

Thanks Eric appreciate your help this is clear to m why public ip addresses used as private one

Second question

NetRange: 129.9.0.0 - 129.9.255.255

CIDR: 129.9.0.0/16

NetName: CHRYSLER-NET

NetHandle: NET-129-9-0-0-1

Parent: NET129 (NET-129-0-0-0-0)

NetType: Direct Assignment

ip lookup showing below (pay attention to the bold words):

Registration Date: 6/18/87

Range: 129.9.0.0-129.9.255.255

Org: Chrysler Group LLC

Org Handle: CHRYS-2-Z

Address: Chrysler Group LLC

Network Services Department

• Huawei was found 1987 by Ren Zhengfei the same year as Chrysler Group LLC had range of ip addresses registered under their name .
  • Huawei is using the same range of addresses as per the link above.
  • Chrysler Group LLC is something to do with Network Services Department

Then Chrrysler might be affiliated to Huawei, otherwise the giant manufacture company (as per link below) won't be able to use those ip addresses in their gears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

V.T. Eric Layton

There seems to be some relationship between Chrysler and Huawei, but I can't say anything for certain. You're getting into the realm of corporate/business law. This is way outside of my areas of expertise.

I will say one thing, I noticed a TON of bad press and reports online regarding the Chinese company Huawei. It seems they're into espionage, patent infringement, business spying, bot-nets, etc. Some bad stuff.

• Like 2

securitybreach

There seems to be some relationship between Chrysler and Huawei, but I can't say anything for certain. You're getting into the realm of corporate/business law. This is way outside of my areas of expertise.

I will say one thing, I noticed a TON of bad press and reports online regarding the Chinese company Huawei. It seems they're into espionage, patent infringement, business spying, bot-nets, etc. Some bad stuff.

Yeah but can you actually believe the reports or is it simply propaganda and false flag stuff?

• Like 1

Thanks Eric

Yeah but can you actually believe the reports or is it simply propaganda and false flag stuff?

Yes I do agree with that,, need further investigation which is off topic

Just I thought not necessary to find an answer , for a manufacturer does it need to use others public ip addresses while it has an options to use private ip addresses (Class A, B, C) like all other manufactures (netgears, cisco, Dlink,,,,,Ericsson,,,,) ??

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
...for a manufacturer does it need to use others public ip addresses while it has an options to use private ip addresses (Class A, B, C) like all other manufactures (netgears, cisco, Dlink,,,,,Ericsson,,,,) ??

To be honest, I just don't know. I'd be curious to know what Aryeh (Goretsky) thinks about this.