Pale Moon Rumor Control

Corrine

Were you under the impression that Pale Moon is merely rebranded Firefox? Find out why that isn't true as well as explanations of the rumors below in the article by Moonchild at This is rumor control, here are the facts.

"This is rumor control, here are the facts" - as stated by the warden in Alien 3.

• Rumor: "Pale Moon is a one-man show and does not have the manpower to keep up with Firefox"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon is just a rebranded rebuild of an old Firefox version"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon will have to adopt Australis or die"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon disables too many components to be useful"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon has redirected search engine revenue to its developer"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon is not truly Open Source"
  • Rumor: "Pale Moon's tools are proprietary"
  • Rumor: "All your extensions will stop working"

• Like 4

I highly recommend PaleMoon for use as a primary web browser for any version of desktop msWindows.

The vast majority of addins for firefox will function without issue,if not better.

• Like 2

btw: i no longer recommend SeaMonkey unless you need builtin email and html editor.

it is relatively very slow in rendering and in doing the basics like saving a file compared to ff, pm, chrome and opera. even some ie.

don't know what happened , as they still pepper with updates, but they messed up the code somewhere.

Hello,

Wow... Pale Moon is having to deal with rumor-mongerers? I hadn't realized the project was so successful that it had created detractors.

This is actually not a bad thing, but a good thing. It is a measure of your success if you have to deal with asinine rumors like these.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

Rumor: "Pale Moon has redirected search engine revenue to its developer"

TRUE

Developing Pale Moon is a full-time job (and then some). It is not a hobby; it is a profession. The browser is free for anyone to download and use, and keeping development up, keeping myself supplied with food, paying rent, etc., and paying for the more than a few servers to provide all additional services needed for its presence on the internet (like the website server, release download mirrors, blocklist server, Pale Moon Sync, the forum, automatic update server, ftp, mail server, CDN) all costs money. This money has to come from somewhere besides donations, because donations simply do not cut it. There has to be enough on the other side of the equal sign. What did you expect; that I would continue to fund the Mozilla Corporation from an independent browser by keeping the search parameters to their Mozilla ones?

In addition, every single other alternative browser out there does this to pay for itself, as well.

Seems most folk apart from true penguins seem to think that open source stuff magically avoids the costs of real life. The above is a neat way of explaining that free stuff costs money.

:whistling:

• Like 2

Ummmm! The free stuff. I have tried to get a second debit card so to donate the odd euro to the various sites that have helped or produced stuff that was indefatigably helpfull to me . BUT the bank just will not oblidge. They say I should use my main card ,but will not guarantee to reimburse me if it's hacked . I'd stick a fiver in the post but there are no addresses to send it to . Anyway the postal services are mostly un reliable with letters like that .Which I have found out to my cost .

Ummmm! The free stuff. I have tried to get a second debit card so to donate the odd euro to the various sites that have helped or produced stuff that was indefatigably helpfull to me . BUT the bank just will not oblidge. They say I should use my main card ,but will not guarantee to reimburse me if it's hacked . I'd stick a fiver in the post but there are no addresses to send it to . Anyway the postal services are mostly un reliable with letters like that .Which I have found out to my cost .

you can purchase an online debit card and use that (which i've done in the past with no problems, even used it for paypal).
  • Like 1

Hello,

Wow... Pale Moon is having to deal with rumor-mongerers? I hadn't realized the project was so successful that it had created detractors.

This is actually not a bad thing, but a good thing. It is a measure of your success if you have to deal with asinine rumors like these.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

IMO, the addition to Firefox 37 of "Heartbeat" is a sure sign that Firefox is losing ground and attempting to use social media with the Engagement request to increase users.