upload files with Z modem

FXEF

I have a UNIX shell account that can only be accessed via a telnet connection and can only upload files via Z modem protocol. I now am accessing this account in Windows via the program TeraTerm Pro. I have started the transition to Linux and need to access this account and upload files while in Linux. I can connect to the account with telnet while in Linux but can't seem to upload files. Is there a GUI for Linux like Tera Term Pro?Thanks,FXEF :hmm:

minicom would be one I guess but that is more for dialing in directly to another machine. You would run telnet just from an xterm or the console. sz is the program to send zmodem and rz is the program to receive zmodem.I have mgetty set up to answer on my linux box at home. When I dial home from a win box using hyperterm (tera term, netterm etc.) I get to a login screen that looks exactly like my console. I login with regular user name and password and can run my machine at home as if I was sitting at the keyboard. I enter sz filename and hyperterm pops up a window and starts receiving the file. I've never tried sending a file home though, and also never had a linux box to dial home from, so not exactly sure of the details involved to send a zmodem file back. I would imagine you just run rz on the remote machine and sz on the local machine.

I was thinking minicom too, but I don't know how to connect to anything but a serial port with it. Wonder if it could work online, seems like it should. Telnet is okay, but if you can get a SSH on that server of yours, you can use Konqueror to drag'n'drop files to upload them, download them and even edit them directly (when you save it'll change the file on the server). Just use the form 'fish://username@foo.bar.site.com' in the address bar. You'll be prompted for the password.

Telnet is rarely used anymore because of the security holes it introduces. ssh is much better. That sounds like a neat trick with konq. I"m always forgetting about those extra features.This question did make me curious so I did a bit more playing around. I think this is the plain and simple to zmodem over TCP/IP. In a terminal or console on the local machine ...$ sz --tcp-server filenameIt will print out the port to connect to like so ...connect with lrz --tcp-client "localhost:32903"You might not have lrz, so just rz on the remote machine via telnet. The command line on the remote machine would be like so ...$ rz --tcp-client localmachineipaddress:32903The port will change each time you run sz. If you want to send a batch of files use sb instead of sz.Give it a go and see if it works. I seem to remember seeing a project to produce something like tera term for linux on freshmeat.net, but off hand I can't remember what it was. Most of the functionality that you would need tera term for in windows is kind of built right into linux, so not many projects like that. Plus telnet and even dialup for that matter are quickly becoming antique.

This question did make me curious so I did a bit more playing around.  I think this is the plain and simple to zmodem over TCP/IP.  In a terminal or console on the local machine ...
Nice. B) I don't have telnet access anywhere or I'd try it out. Nice to know the option is there. I try to avoid telnet it for the reasons you mentioned and just because ssh does everything telnet can do but easier and wih more features anyway, even in the terminal with scp. Edited by linuxdude32

deadflyThanks for the reply but I am new and I do not really understand what I am doing. I have been connecting to the remote Unix shell and uploading files with Tera Term in Windows but have no understanding how to use sz and rz in Linux.This is how I upload files with Tera Term. After making a connection, I cd to the directory I want to upload the files. Then type "upload" at the $ prompt then hit enter. Then a string of charters appear and no other response from keyboard. I assume the "upload" is a script that starts rz.Next in Tera Term, I go to file > transfer > zmodem > send, then from a dialog box I chose the files to upload.Here is what I have on the Tera Term screen:$ uploadStarting a ZMODEM transfer .. begin your upload NOWType CTRL-X 5 times to cancelrz ready. Type "sz file ..." to your modem programÅ rz 3.54 10-19-99 finished.Please explain: Type "sz file ..." to your modem program.I assume Tera Term is my modem program in Windows. What is my modem program in Linux when connected via telnet in Xterm?I have Googled zmodem but can't find any helpful info.FXEF :unsure:

Thanks for the reply but I am a newbie and I do not really understand what I am doing.
Sorry FXEF for placing a little remark here . . . I have a quote from when this forum started that I would like to copy here:
We try to avoid the word ¨newbie¨,  it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification.  --Bruno
It is not really in the forum-rules, but a kind of "code" we have here in the ATL:DB) BrunoPS: I took the liberty of changing tha word in your text :unsure:

Tera Term in windows allows you to do a few different things. You can use it to dial the modem and connect to a remote computer or you can use it as a plain terminal to run telnet connections over the internet. To send or receive zmodem file transfers it has a gui interface available from the menu to use which is quite convenient. The most common equivalent to this is linux in the minicom program. It resembles a DOS type communications more than a windows based program so you run it from an xterm or from the console. Use the hot keys listed at the bottom of the screen to access the menus. It can dial the modem and connect to a remote computer like you do with Tera Term and also has menu options to send and receive zmodem file transfers. It does not, to my knowledge support a telnet connection over the internet. If you are connecting to this computer via a telnet connection over the internet all you need is to open an xterm. telnet is just a command line program and is usually installed by default on most systems. So you open a xterm window and then type ...$telnet remotehost.domain to connect to the remote machine. You'll get a prompt to log on. It sounds like you have made it this far already. Once you are logged in check and see if the rz program is available for you to use. Just type rz --help and hit enter. You should get a list of options from rz if it is there for you. So as you've guessed by now rz and sz are command line programs. rz is to receive zmodem transfers, sz is to send zmodem transfers. To send a zmodem file transfer from your computer then all you should have to do is open up another xterm, cd to the directory where the file you want to send is located and then run sz with the --tcp-server option followed buy the name of the file you want to transfer. It's easier than it sounds. As was mentioned, when you start this server process it will print out the port number you will need to connect to when you run the rz program on the remote computer.$ sz --tcp-server filenameSo now, switch back to the xterm where you have telnet running and run rz with the --tcp-client option followed by the ip address of your computer colon then the port number sz printed out for you. If you need to find your IP address open a third xterm and run /sbin/ifconfig. It's the numbers after the words inet addr: in the section for your internet device. Might be ppp0 for a dial up connection or eth0 for a DSL or Cable. So in the telnet terminal you are running something like this from the command line ...$ rz --tcp-client 199.156.50.118:32903Hopefully when you hit enter your file transfer will start. I have not had a chance to look into GUI type programs that would duplicate Tera Term in linux, but I doubt there is much. Telnet and zmodem are not used very often any more.