DSL

JerryM

I am considering going to DSL .Are there any disadvantages other than costs?I do not know if there are any problems connected with firewalls and security programs.Thanks for the help. I know that many here have DSL, or at least I think they do.Jerry

Cost is the biggest disadvantage of DSL. I have had mine for a couple of years now. I love it. The connection speed will usually be the speed you selected when you chose your plan. It should not vary much on your end from that. That puts it in a different category from Cable where it can fluctuate quite a bit (particularly if you live in an area like where I do and the population changes drastically for the summers).It does not tie up your phone line but you must install devices they give you on each phone line so that you will not hear a hiss on the lines. I was playing with my router a couple of days ago and say I had been connected for 7,548 hours. That is a long time to go without losing a connection. I am sure that time is probably when I moved something. My DSL modem is always on as is my router that allows me to have multiple computers connectioned. I usually run at least two computers and as many as five at times. I can think of about three times we lost DSL. All three times tied in with major flooding between here and where their main connections for the state are located. During Hurricane Isabelle I still had DSL despite not having electricity. I ran my UPS for a little while and connected up to let folks know we were fine when the power was still out. B) Disadvantage: I can not cancel my phone service without losing my DSL. If I had a cable modem I could cancel my phone service and go with something like Vonage for telephone service. If you are thinking of going that direction then you should go with cable.I run firewalls by having a router and then I run Zone Alarm on my Windows computers. I also run an antivirus program and spyware programs. I would do that whether I was on cable or DSL. I probably would not run the router if I was on dial up. A decent router can be had for under $50 and is really a good thing to have, even if only one computer due to the firewall protection possible.I am sure a lot of folks will come in and give you there opinions. Most people really like the service they have or they change it! It can depend a lot on the reliability of hte folks you have that are providing the DSL. Good luck.

Thanks, Teacher.As to a router, I note that you have more than one computer in your system. Since I have only one computer and one phone line, is the box that is necessary for DSL a router?My question is prompted by a discussion I read about Look n Stop firewall and routers. It seems that it is complicated to configure with a router.I may be making more of it than it really is.Thanks, again for the help.Jerry

I'll jump in here. I would use a router whether I had more or one computer hooked up to the broadband. It cuts back on intruders and any other nuisances you get incoming. I have to switch to dial up sometimes, it is the backup for when my DSL goes down. I end up whth tons of alerts coming through my firewall.

Guest Paracelsus

I agree with Maggie.I only have one PC at home, but I added a router, on the advice of Friends here at SNLF, in addition to using ZAP. The router comes in handy when trying to troubleshoot problems and you might want to disable your Firewall for a while. You're still protected. About DSL...I Love It!!I switched from Dial-Up over a year ago. If I could get cable broadband, I would. I was visiting relatives in southern California over the Holidays and they have cable. It was a bit faster then my Verizon DSL.Cable may get a bit slower, as Teacher pointed out, depending on demand...But DSL has a disadvantage depending on the distance between your dwelling and the Hubs. The further from a DSL hub you are, the slower your speeds will be.Fortunately for me, I'm very close to a hub. So I can usually get the stated speeds on my connection.And it's at least an order of magnitude higher then my 56K modem dial-up connection was.Many providers offer a discount if you include DSL with a total package phone service

Edited by Paracelsus

There you have it! Three opinions and we all vote for a router no matter how many computers! It is so much safer. :)Case in point: I was working on hubby's computer while I was inbetween routers. I had one die after a year or so. Thus, I only had one computer connected. Zone Alarm was going crazy blocking all the things that were normally blocked by the router. Normally Zone Alarm rarely had anything to do. I was so thankful I had it there as a backup for my router as a firewall.

My experience with DSL has been very positive as well. We have at least two computers online most of the time, often while someone else is using the phone. Bell South recently doubled my speed, with no increase in cost. I can download at least a hundred times faster (300+) than I could with dialup. Not bad, considering my house is five miles from the nearest small town. I had been skeptical about getting DSL way out here, but it has worked great for most of two years now.My security setup is virtually identical to teacher's.

Edited by mrainey

I have had DSL now for over four years (in Venezuela), and I bought the cheapest speed, thinking that if :nuke: needed I could increase it; there is no need for higher speed, even if you download files not bigger than a giga. DSL at least here is OK if you are less than 4 miles from the hub. Usually the ISP will tell you if it will work or not. Good luck

Thanks All for the excellent information. Members on this site are especially helpful and prompt. I really appreciate all the help as I am not very "bright" in the area of computers. I bit the bullet and ordered DSL. It will take about 10 days for the box to get here and for me to get set up. I am looking forward to being able to download without it taking all day.Thanks again,Jerry

The best advice I can give you is to get your DSL set up directly to the computer and then add the router in (if going with one) after you have it working direclty to the modem. :thumbsup:

Thanks. When I get it and start I might figure out what y'all are talking about. But I appreciate it, and when I get it all set up I will have learned something new. An old dog can learn some new tricks. :P Jerry

Guest Paracelsus
An old dog can learn some new tricks.
It'll be a Cakewalk, Jerry.Between the written instructions and the CD that came with my installation kit from Verizon, I had no trouble at all.I can't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but one important thing to do before connecting your DSL equipment....Is to make sure you have some kind of Firewall software installed. If you have WinXP, the resident Firewall will serve OK during initial set-up... But the free version of Zone Alarm would be worthwhile downloading while you're waiting for the stuff to arrive. :PZone Alarm Edited by Paracelsus

Just be aware that most if not all broadband providers( Cable & DSL) do NOT support customer's routers...You will have to troubleshoot any issuses on your own when your router is connected. Disconnect your router first when dealing with your boradband provider.

JerryM,Who is your ISP? If it's a major ISP, or at least one who has shared their requirements for setting up PPPoE with us, I can get you the exact MTU settings and ways they want you to enter your user name and password in the router. (And if you get a D-Link router, DO NOT run the setup wizard. Give tech support a call and we'll walk you through setting it up and have you online in just a few minutes, barring any complications.) :thumbsup:

Thanks. I don't have a router, but I do have LooknStop, Ewido, Bit Defender and several anti-spyware programs.I am looking forward to getting it installed. I will review all the advice that y'all have provided, and see what I need to do next.BTW, I was out of high school before black and white TV was widespread in our town.When I was in college, we did not have a TV. In those days regular Wednesday Night Fights showed all the good fights, including championship fights. If there was a Marciano or similar fight I would go to town and ask a furniture store manager if he would leave one of the TV sets on in his show window so I could see the fight. He always obliged, so I would stand out on the street and watch the fights. Of course it was all black and white then.How things have changed.All that has nothing to do with DSL. Just some ramblings.Jerry

JerryM,Who is your ISP?  If it's a major ISP, or at least one who has shared their requirements for setting up PPPoE with us, I can get you the exact MTU settings and ways they want you to enter your user name and password in the router.  (And if you get a D-Link router, DO NOT run the setup wizard.  Give tech support a call and we'll walk you through setting it up and have you online in just a few minutes, barring any complications.) :thumbsup:
Hi Jeber,My ISP is a local New Mexico provider, Zianet. I have used it since I got a computer almost 6 years ago. I can call and get a person, and always all the help I need, some of it isn't even involved with the ISP.Of course, they are not a substitute for this forum or Wilders. When I get set up I'll see what it is all about. I don't understand all the nomenclature and consequences of the various components and their interactions.Thanks.Jerry

I am considering going to DSL .Are there any disadvantages other than costs?I do not know if there are any problems connected with firewalls and security programs.Thanks for the help. I know that many here have DSL, or at least I think they do.Jerry
To address your question directly, yes there can be some disadvantages to DSL. Your distance from the CO (central office) comes into play. If they say you will get 768 DL & 128 UL don't take that as gospel. DSL is a finicky animal, I was a tier 3 support rep for a major DSL ISP for 2 years. DSL unlike cable (coax) runs on an ordinary phone line and is prone to interference. Many things can effect the connection stability as well as the speed. If you have new phone lines & you are fairly close to the CO you may get the advertised speeds. That being said keep in mind this is unshelled cable so many things can interfere with the signal. Do you have a home alarm system installed, do you have dimmer switches installed in your home? If you have the option I would recommend cable over DSL. Just my 2 ¢

JerryM, I don't have any specific info for them, but these are the questions you'll want to ask so you can set up your router to work best with whatever modem they provide you;1) MTU size (usual default is 1500)2) Modem speed (is it 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 10/100Mbps...you'll want the router to match the modem on the speed)3) PPPoE or dynamic IP (most, but not all, DSL is PPPoE. Be sure.)4) Username format (for PPPoE, some ISPs want it entered as "username@your isp.net")5) IP address of the modem (if it's the same as the router; Linksys=192.168.1.1...D-Link=192.168.0.1) you'll have to change the router's IP addressThat should get you going. :thumbsup:

I used to have cable and it was prone to going down a few days of every year but other friends had absolutely no problems. The speed of cable would go up and down throughout the day (everyone shares bandwidth within a neighbourhood whereas with DSL you don't share until you get to the CO). I had cable for about two years until DSL was available here as an option and I jumped ship. Part of it was the extremely poor customer service I received from my cable company. Basically, the inability of them to accept responsibility when things went bad was what sent me away but obviously that would very heavily on your area. I just know that though the phone company charges more, I don't think I've ever had our phone go dead. On the other hand, our cable tv loses the signal several times a week. Not for long usually, but still annoying as heck.

The cable company here laid fiber optic cable most everywhere about 15 years ago. They didn't bury it especially deep and every six month to a year or so some yahoo cuts it with a backhoe or trenching machine. Other than that it's as reliable as DSL. The busyist hour or the worst day is still a ton faster than the DSL provider.It's definitely worth asking around and checking out what they have to say at Broadband Reports

I am surprised.... aside from the occasional account glitch over the last two years (once or twice), I have had only one outage that lasted over an hour. All others were only a couple mintues, and those were rare.