SpaceFM anyone given this a blast ??

abarbarian

I could not get on with qtFM as it did not have some fetures I needed, though it was lightening fast.

So I spotted SpaceFM which seemed lightweight and feature rich and reportedly speedy.

So far it seems pretty neat. :D

SpaceFM

SpaceFM manual

It is very well documented for such a new project and the developer seems a pretty decent chap. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Here you go...

Two pics of me taken thirty years apart. Do I look like the face of excitement? ;)

1977-2007.png

Here is a shot showing a standard window with four panes and a root window.

SpaceFM

<_<

Don't hang around trying it out SB as I have tons of questions about how it works :fishing:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach
Don't hang around trying it out SB as I have tons of questions about how it works :fishing:

Maybe we will both learn something as I have no clue about it either but I will be reading the documentation.

It is a rebuild of the PCmanfm-mod so you will find some of it similar.

I am just using su and do not have sudo installed on my Arch and the "root" window works otb you have to input your root password of course.Aoutomounting of usb sticks etc seems to work hust fine aswell. Clicking on the hdd icon opens up a small pane and if you right click anywhere in there youcan drill dowm the menue to "settings" and you can customise from there.

Seems to be pretty reponsive and it looks like it will be fun exploring all the customisations, that is if I ever get around to it. :D

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I stick w/ Thunar. This old dog don't feel like learning anything new right now. ;)

securitybreach
It is a rebuild of the PCmanfm-mod so you will find some of it similar.

I am just using su and do not have sudo installed on my Arch and the "root" window works otb you have to input your root password of course.Aoutomounting of usb sticks etc seems to work hust fine aswell. Clicking on the hdd icon opens up a small pane and if you right click anywhere in there youcan drill dowm the menue to "settings" and you can customise from there.

Seems to be pretty reponsive and it looks like it will be fun exploring all the customisations, that is if I ever get around to it. :D

I had never used the PCmanfm-mod version as I had the normal version installed. It is quite different but I think I will like it better once I learn to use it.

• 11 months later...

I have a Q about spacefm. Looks like this is becoming popular as it has been adopted as the file manager in PartedMagic and antiX.

I'm trying to use the udevil tool with spacefm. Reading from here,

https://github.com/I...b/master/README

ENABLE KERNEL POLLING

You may need to enable kernel polling for device media to be detected by

udevil. For example, if you insert a CD and udevil's monitor command

doesn't report a change to the device, or udevil doesn't see a filesystem

on the device, this is a symptom that kernel polling is not enabled.

Kernel polling is a new feature of the Linux kernel and udev, so most

distros don't yet have it enabled. Even if you are using udisks, enabling

kernel polling is recommended to eliminate the need for udisks to do

userspace polling. Kernel polling also corrects a common issue where the

eject button on a drive won't respond with the newer udev.

To use kernel polling, your Linux kernel may need to be 2.6.38 or newer,

and udev may need to be version 173 or newer.

TO DETERIME IF KERNEL POLLING IS ENABLED, run these commands:

cat /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

cat /sys/block/sr0/events_poll_msecs

If you get 0 or -1 from those commands, then it's probably disabled.

TO ENABLE KERNEL POLLING PERMANENTLY (survives a reboot), add this command

to your /etc/rc.local file (anywhere before the 'exit' line in that file):

echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

Any number between 2000 and 5000 (milliseconds) should be reasonable - the

higher 5000 means poll every 5 seconds, which is less overhead but a little

slower.

OR you can pass this option to the kernel boot command line in grub:

block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=2000

Well using the two commands I get,

[12:32][bloodaxe@longship ~]$ cat /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

[12:32][bloodaxe@longship ~]$ cat /sys/block/sr0/events_poll_msecs

[12:33][bloodaxe@longship ~]$

So is kernel polling enabled or not ? :hmm:

Also I do not have a "/etc/rc.local file". So do I need to add "block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=2000" as below ?

If I need this and have put it in the right place do I need to do anything else, ie. update the grub or anything ?

# (0) Arch Linux

title Arch Linux

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=ec3f38f4-e52b-4063-be8a-37029255aeca block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=2000

initrd /initramfs-linux.img

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Sorry I have never used kernel polling, udevil or Spacefm so I will have to research to see what I can find.

Sorry I have never used kernel polling, udevil or Spacefm so I will have to research to see what I can find.

Don't waste your time Josh I'll ask at the Spacefm forum. I thought from your comments earlier above that you were going to use Spacefm.

Using the two commands given I get conflicting results, or so it seems to me.

This looks like polling is going on

[12:32][bloodaxe@longship ~]$ cat /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

Whereas this looks like polling is not going on

hence the puzzlement. :'(

:bangin: I just tried a cd in a drive and it shows up in Spacefm and I can access files on it as a user and it ejects, opens the drawer and disappears from Spacefm. Which is good enough for me.

So my Q can be considered solved. The differences in the output from the commands will have to remain one of the unsolved mysteries of the world. :hysterical:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Udevil is just one of the wrappers available for Udisks: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Automounting_udisks_wrappers

Per your output, Kernel Polling is not enabled

If you just want to be able to auto-mount stuff, kernel polling is not required at all and there are a lot more ways you can accomplish this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udisks#Udisks

Personally I would use udiskie as it is very simple to set up and use although I do not use automounting myself.

securitybreach

Don't waste your time Josh I'll ask at the Spacefm forum. I thought from your comments earlier above that you were going to use Spacefm.

Nah, I do not use graphical file managers very much. I mainly use core utils(cp, mv, ls, etc.) or Ranger but when I do want to use a graphical file manager, pcmanfm is my favorite.

I did look at all the alternatives when I was doing my initial set up of Arch but my brain started to fry so I swerved the issue. I do like to pop in a usb/sd/etc and access the contents immediately without having to go root hence the need for auto mounting.

Udevil does not need udisks so is not really a wrapper if I read correctly. My understanding of techy terms is rather sketchy though.

udevil is a command line Linux program which mounts and unmounts removable devices without a password, shows device info, and monitors device changes. It can also mount ISO files, nfs://, smb://, ftp://, ssh:// and WebDAV URLs, and tmpfs/ramfs filesystems.

• Intended as a hassle-free replacement for udisks
  • Highly configurable & security conscious
  • Requires no daemon running
  • To use it, just prefix a normal mount command with 'udevil'
  • Can replace udisks in the SpaceFM file manager and the devmon automounting daemon (devmon is included with udevil)
  • More Highlights

As udevil is recomended for spacefm that is what I have gone for and so far it seems to do the job. I'll keep playing with it and report back. :breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

SpaceFM... interesting. I had forgotten all about this one. In light of my Xfe/Slackware issues of late, I wonder if SpaceFM might be something worth giving a go.

I really like it. After playing around with it in a PartedMagic live session sometime last year, I've gone to using SpaceFM in most of my Linux installations. It might be showing up in more distros' repos as people get become more familiar with it; I found it in Sabayon's repos, and also in Bridge Linux (from Arch "community" repo). I wish it was in the Debian repos, but the SpaceFM author gives good instructions for installing it in Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

From an inexperienced viewpoint I find it very clear and easy to use. Nicely laid out with some very useful features included. I particularly like the two three or four way split window which is handy for shuffling files around. :breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, who's the SpaceFM expert here?

I installed it the other night. I like it. It even auto-mounts. The problem is that it auto-mounts with only root privileges? What's up with that? I'm talking about removable media like flash drives here.

Ideas?

I installed it the other night. I like it. It even auto-mounts. The problem is that it auto-mounts with only root privileges? What's up with that? I'm talking about removable media like flash drives here.

Any luck with this? Sorry, I haven't seen this problem yet, although I use SpaceFM in a few different distros. Not that I'm a SpaceFM expert -- far from it! Wondering if you might find a solution at the SpaceFM forums. Maybe right-click on the device > Settings > Mount Options, see what's there.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I figured it out. I had to set the mounting options to use Udisks (uses Pmount by default). Works well now. :)

I've been using SpaceFM as a secondary file manager for a long while. It replaced PCManFM as the default in LXDE and distros which use it.

PartedMagic is LXDE and SpaceFM, you can't beat it.

Been using SpaceFM for a long time, was the default Foresight Lxde file manager for some time....but got replaced with PCManFM after awhile.

As for personal use, still using SpaceFM. As it handles scripts and can write own scripts for it....

Wonder why no one has seen:

Tomas Forsman (TForsman), developer of Foresight Linux, has contributed a Swedish translation for SpaceFM which is approximately 40% complete. TForsman's suggestion for translators to use the 'poedit' program has been added to the TRANSLATE instructions file.

from http://ignorantguru....acefm/news.html :)

hehe.....

Edited by tforsman
  • Like 1