Missing 3 Important Vista Updates per Belarc Advisor

onDvine

Belarc Advisor's latest version says my husband's computer (running Vista Premium Home) is missing 3 Important updates, but the windows update site only shows 1 Optional update available for it. Can someone please help me figure out which is right?The first graphic combines three screen snapshots. The top two show parts of the computer's profile in the latest version of Belarc Advisor where it says 3 updates are missing and lists them. The lower section shows an error message that pops open before Belarc Advisor's profile view does and remains after it's closed until closed separately. Maybe the error indicates a problem that's corrupting the profile creation?VistaBelarcGraphics.gifThe second graphic is a screen snapshot of what's available for the computer according to Windows Update.PerMSNOne.gifThe third graphic shows updates already installed, and none even starts with the same letter those listed as missing do.UpdatesIn.gifI sure would appreciate some knowledgeable insight. huh.gif

Edited by onDvine

I believe you'll find that all those updates are for Office 2007. If you're using Windows Update, you'll only get the O/S updates. If you use Microsoft Update, you'll probably find those Office updates. I'm making the assumption that Belarc is correctly detecting that you do have Office 2007 installed.Kevin

... If you're using Windows Update, you'll only get the O/S updates. If you use Microsoft Update, you'll probably find those Office updates. ...
I'm quite sure I tried it both ways.
... I'm making the assumption that Belarc is correctly detecting that you do have Office 2007 installed. ...
That computer is in use right now, but I'll double-check later or tomorrow morning to confirm that the profile displays Windows Vista as the Operating System.Thank you. B)

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...s/mbsahome.mspxAlso to take advantage of the Microsoft products installed along with Windows, you want to install Microsoft Update, not using Windows Update. But I am away from my Vista computer so I am not sure but I did recall that Windows Update did try to install SQL Server 2005 SP1. So I am not sure but that is all I can say. I know in XP I use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update.

Belarc Advisor is displaying Windows Vista as the Operating System, so it's got that part right.The choices are Program Update or Windows Update, with Microsoft Update nowhere in sight.I know what I do in my WinXP, too. Sure wish he had that. B) I saved the link to the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Perhaps it will show me something relevant if I open it from that machine?Thank you. :hmm:

You'll find information on the updates by replacing the Q in Belarc with kbso 933688 leads here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933688and here is the 2nd update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934062and the third update http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enInformation on Microsoft Updatehttp://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/mu.mspx

Edited by zlim

... Information on Microsoft Update ...
Thank you very much. Will go there in the other computer.Are Vista systems being sold unable to find their own updates unless owners modify defaults?! :)

When I click on the Windows Update Icon on my 2K computers, I get to the Windows Update page but below the blue ribbon that says Windows Update, the last item is Microsoft Update. You should see this as a clickable link on your computers. If 2K sees it, I suspect XP and Vista would also.Also in the right column is a News blurb that says Upgrade to Microsoft Update. (I believe you must have auto update enabled to use Microsoft Update. I don't have auto update enabled and do not wish to so I skip Microsoft Update.)

Edited by zlim

... If 2K sees it, I suspect XP and Vista would also. ...
In my WinXP computer, Microsoft Update and Windows Update are both clickable links in the same section at the top with a few other choices, above Start. There are fewer choices in that menu section in Vista. None of 'em are Microsoft Update. Can't say I'm surprised. :)
... I don't have auto update enabled and do not wish to ...
Wonder if he disabled auto updates. Could try enabling, downloading, and disabling again after. My husband isn't much interested in adding applications, himself, to keep his computer secure (that's why I do it...or did in his old Win98; Vista's trickier), but he does disable things.;) I use xp-AntiSpy in my computer as an additional measure to lock that stuff down, and switch to the profile called Windows Update if I must use IE to get fixes. Can D/L many of them using Firefox. xp-AntiSpy is in beta for Vista, so I've hesitated to install it in the new box. Hmmm.

Thank you very much. That seems to have done the trick. :)I D/L'd the [darned] thing and put the update site in his IE Trusted zone. Forgot about that part yesterday. 12 updates are installing themselves in there as I type this. :thumbsup: Since Belarc Advisor only cited 3 missing, am looking forward to seeing the next profile.Edit: Belarc now shows a green check mark in the Microsoft Security Updates section so I'm going to enjoy that rather than trying to figure out why it only noted 3 were missing.Last month I didn't update the new computer at all because I felt out of my depth and it was better to do nothing than to screw up my spouse's new computer. Was wiser to be sure if anybody did that, it was him. :thumbsup: Edited by onDvine

Hi onDvine,Only 3 of those updates you installed were Security updates, the rest were non-security updates.Please note that the Belarc Advisor provides information about all Microsoft Security Updates including operating system, office, and other Microsoft applications. You've guessed right that the Windows Vista "Windows Update" control panel ONLY includes operating system. There's a check box on the settings for Vista's Windows Updates that says to include all Microsoft products that's NOT checked by default. You must check that check box to see all the Microsoft product updates.However, along with the Security Updates (which the Belarc Advisor shows you) Microsoft also includes a hodgepodge of other updates (a.k.a. hotfixes) that they'd like you to have. We at Belarc have chosen to provide only the security updates.By the way, clicking on the details... link next to each Missing Microsoft Security Update takes you directly to the download at the Microsoft web site. This is the same thing zlim was suggesting you do manually.It's great that you seem to have found the Belarc Advisor useful!

... Belarc now shows a green check mark in the Microsoft Security Updates section so I'm going to enjoy that rather than trying to figure out why it only noted 3 were missing. ...

... Only 3 of those updates you installed were Security updates, the rest were non-security updates. ...
Thank you, BelarcGuy. That makes sense. What Micro$oft calls "Important" isn't necessarily security-related; I presumed without thinking it through. :thumbsup:
... It's great that you seem to have found the Belarc Advisor useful!
Based on your user name, you seem to be associated with the Belarc Advisor. It's a great back-up utility for confirming necessary patches are in place, as well as giving an easy view of everything installed, and much-appreciated in this house. :thumbsup: